Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Raymond Estrella (rayestrella) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northern Minnesota
About Me I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, plus many western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round in all weather, and average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I make a point of using lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. Doubting I can ever be truly UL, I try to be as near to it as I can yet still be comfortable. I start early and hike hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring/chilling. I usually take a freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I am usually with brother-in-law Dave.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Raymond Estrella

Showing 181 - 190 of 821 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...83

Forum » Thread

MSR Hoop
I have a bit of experience with the Hoop. http://tinyurl.com/a9yeb7p But I did not use it in winter as right after I wrote that review I got a 4-season tent to start testing. I do agree th...

In GEAR » MSR Hoop????
November 05, 6:59am

Allied Feathers Resist-Down
I don’t think the Allied Feathers Resist-Down is the same thing as the DownTek stuff. This is from their site: “Allied Resist-Down™ is hydrophobic, engineered to keep your customers warm ...

In GEAR » Patagonia makes dry down
November 05, 6:48am

making use of Hurricane Sandy
"So I am 1/2 smart???" You must be smart, and seeing as how you made it out of the shelter before the tree landed you must be half-fast too... ;-)

In GEAR » making use of Hurricane Sandy?
October 29, 9:02pm

backyard
If you do decide to setup in the backyard Doug, watch out for the coyotes... ;-)

In GEAR » making use of Hurricane Sandy?
October 29, 9:20am

60 days?
Ha, not yet I am sorry to say. I only use mine in winter. My lungs still work fine for 3-season puffing. I don't carry mine with the batteries loaded though. I warm the batteries in my pocke...

In GEAR » Anybody got long-term feedback on the CT Microburst?
October 26, 8:53pm

light weight tights
http://www.underworks.com/hosiery/pantyhose.html#large Sure, ;-)

In GEAR » ultralite tights?
October 26, 8:39pm

dot
I hope the sticky dot weighed 0.5 oz... ;-)

In GEAR » two different versions of NeoAir XLite - What's the story?
October 25, 8:12pm

how to use straps/cords
The warmest way is to cinch them around your body, not the pad as that way you are not warming dead air space. Personally I don't use them unless it is around 25 F or lower. I don't even...

In GEAR » New quilt user.
October 23, 6:16am

poles
“The poles are somewhat larger in diameter than one might expect, with joints that seem plenty stout. It’s a light set of poles, I’m not sure if there is any other difference from a standard...

In Editor's Roundtable » Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 Platinum Tent Review
October 22, 10:29am

when?
Cascade Designs starts selling them in Feb I believe but you can buy one right now here: https://www.camp-tek.com/buy/index.html

In GEAR » Neoair pump
October 20, 5:52pm

All Reader Reviews by Raymond Estrella

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Osprey Exos 58
Osprey Exos 58 Backpack Size: Large Year manufactured: 2009 Weight listed: 2 lb 10 oz (1185 g) Actual weight 2 lb 9.8 oz (1180 g) Volume listed: 3700 cu in (61 L) Load weight capacity sugg...

In Backpacks - External Frame
June 15, 7:47pm

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2
I bought one of the first Seedhouse SL2s in 2004. Last year I bought the new, lighter version pairing it with carbon fiber poles and Ti stakes to make a total weight package of 2 lb 15 oz (1.33 kg). I...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 16, 3:37pm