BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 181 - 190 of 661 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...67

Forum » Thread

Re: Strength training to lighten the load
No doubt strength training is very important and will allow you to carry the same load with less effort. In addition, being stronger will help prevent injury. Just make sure you include core stre...

In Philosophy & Technique » Strength training to lighten the load
February 23, 6:34pm

Examples of "Stupid Heavy"
I thought I create a new thread to look at the opposite side of the Stupid Light thread. What examples can you share of going Stupid Heavy. I'll offer up a couple of my own examples. 1] ...

In GEAR » Examples of "Stupid Heavy"
February 21, 7:57pm

Brimmed Hat that actually breathes (not Tilley)
Anyone recommend a fully brimmed hat that breathes? I have a Tilley LTM6 and find that it doesn't breath well at all. Ideally, the entire upper part of the hat would be mesh except the flat pa...

In GEAR » Brimmed Hat that actually breathes (not Tilley)
February 21, 5:03pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: A few more ideas
"How well would an Exped Schnozzel work as a pillow?" Not well for me. I tried it and found the material is too slick unfortunately.

In Gear Lists » First <15 lb. Base Weight
February 21, 2:48pm

Re: Lightest PLB recommendations
4.6 oz http://www.rei.com/product/815753/acr-electronics-resqlink-406-gps-personal-locator-beacon 5.3 oz http://www.rei.com/product/849914/mcmurdo-fastfind-220-personal-locator-beacon-with...

In GEAR » Lightest PLB recommendations
February 21, 9:39am

Re: Summer bag + quilt = max versatility?
Your approach is precisely what I have thought about doing. I have a 40 degree down quilt I use in Summer. Having a second 20 degree synthetic quilt gives flexibility to go from 0 (both quilts, s...

In GEAR » Summer bag + quilt = max versatility?
February 20, 8:19pm

Re: Stupid Light
I think Stupid light is going to be one of those things where experience and knowledge play a big role. Use of ultralight gear often requires enhanced knowledge of it's proper use. Using Down...

In GEAR » Examples of "Stupid Light"
February 20, 7:51pm

Re: August 4 pass loop
4 pass loop is definitely beautiful but not sure it would be the best place to avoid seeing people. For that I would suggest doing something in the Flattops wilderness or the Weminuche or San Juan...

In Pre-Trip Planning » August 4 pass loop
February 20, 6:26pm

Chemicals vs Coverage
My input would be to focus more on coverage and less on chemical use. It seems every generation has chemicals that are touted for their amazing properties and then 10 years down the road we find o...

In Philosophy & Technique » Best way to survive bug season?
February 20, 11:43am

Re: R2
+1 on the R2. I think the idea of fleece with a wind blocking membrane is a bad idea. Fleece has two big positive benefits, 1] insulates when wet 2] highly breathable fabric. Having a wind blo...

In GEAR » Can't find a good fleece!
February 19, 9:09am

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm