Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 181 - 190 of 6517 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...652

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Thinking of Places to Move to - Colorado, Utah, Oregon,...?
"I wasn't even alive in the 50's, but when it comes to respect, manners, and morals.. yea, I'm convinced it was way better back then. Of course it was before all of the bad influen...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Thinking of Places to Move to - Colorado, Utah, Oregon,...?
December 31, 8:06pm

Re: Re: Do I Sense Religious Intolerance?
"Probably don't have morals either - the nose rings get in the way...." OTOH, one might conclude that they are demonstrating a laudably UL understanding of multiple use gear.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Thinking of Places to Move to - Colorado, Utah, Oregon,...?
December 31, 7:54pm

Re: Re: Re: Seattle
"except there are so many more hoardes of people in Seattle, that close by hiking places are busier" Yes, unfortunately, and trashier as well, I'm sorry to say. You have to get ba...

December 30, 7:50pm

Re: Seattle
"I peg the PNW hiking season as early April to late October. In the spring, I look towards coastal hikes in ONP, or lower elevation hikes on the east-side of the cascades. You can still hike i...

December 30, 7:37pm

Re: Re:
" You want icy surface to really test yourself." Yes, and the first thing you will learn when testing yourself on an icy surface is that your chance of getting a solid plant before you...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Beginner Ice Axe Questions
December 30, 5:27pm

Re: Re: Re: Average vo2
"Hard to believe what those two guys did." Indeed, and with very different physiological capabilities. Viesturs has a VO2 max of 70, while Messner's is a mere 48(See link, below),...

In Philosophy & Technique » VO2max and long distance hiking
December 29, 8:09pm

Re: Re: Understanding my Casio barometric altimeter watch
"If you look at the "pressure ratio" column, you'll see in percentage terms how pressure drops with height. At practical hiking elevations, pressure drops by about 3% per 1000 fe...

In GEAR » Understanding my Casio barometric altimeter watch
December 29, 5:33pm

Re: Average vo2
"And Messner and company were just crazy! Clearly his ability to ventilate and the ability of the alveoli to extract oxygen from the air have to be off the charts. " As would be his ab...

In Philosophy & Technique » VO2max and long distance hiking
December 29, 5:24pm

Re: Not a precise device.
"Best practice with an ABC watch is to recalibrate it every time you hit a known point. On the Wonderland trail which has lots of elevation gains and losses, I would do this a few times per da...

In GEAR » Understanding my Casio barometric altimeter watch
December 29, 5:00pm

Re: Re: Lard
" my primary food would be Garden of Life's "Raw Meal" mixed with virgin coconut oil. The latter is easier to digest than lard and the Raw meal powder provides a full spectrum of...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Volumetrically Dense Food?
December 29, 4:49pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm