BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 181 - 190 of 5618 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...562

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: @Mark re CP3 tip repair
"If he means you can't replace the tips wit leki/bd replacement tips then yeah, that is fine. Like I said the measurements are off by at least 0.5 mm. But if he is saying (as they told me ...

In GEAR » Locus Gear
January 05, 4:56pm

Re: Re: @Mark re CP3 tip repair
"For now the company does not act motivated at all on this issue which is the one (a big one) down side to Locus gear. I go through a pair of tips in the summer in about 6 months if I'm do...

In GEAR » Locus Gear
January 04, 8:05pm

Re: Some options:
"Montane Minimus Smock -awesome, but runs very small" I can wholeheartedly endorse this one for Sierra 3 season use. I gave it a full season trial, including one real doozy of a rains...

In GEAR » 2014 Rain Shell Advice (SOTM maybe?)
January 04, 7:49pm

Re: Re: Best baseplate compass
"I don't think there is ever a 'best' compass. But few good navigators need anything more than the most basic of models, as shown here." +1 to the Silva on the right. Been...

In GEAR » Best baseplate compass
January 01, 8:49pm

Re: Re: Re: Long bone growth and nasty feet
"There are lots of soft tissues in feet. With mine, the dimensions come and go with the seasons, and whether my body weight is going up or down." And whether or not you remember to tri...

In Philosophy & Technique » Long distance thru hikes and feet growth / swelling
December 31, 4:26pm

Re: Re: Re: the theatre of the absurd
"Dave t made my point. Who gives a rats ass about any opinion!?!?" A wise BPLer, Nick G IIRC, once observed that opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one. Since rats apparently...

In Editor's Roundtable » 2013 Staff Picks
December 31, 4:24pm

Re: the theatre of the absurd
"Dale, I'm not clear on what questions you're looking to have answered by something like this. I am genuinely curious." Answer, conceptually speaking: How many angels can danc...

In Editor's Roundtable » 2013 Staff Picks
December 31, 4:20pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Long distance thru hikes and feet growth / swelling
"That is equivalent to saying that one or two centuries (no more!) of shoe wearing replaces many hundreds of thousands of years of human evolution. I don't buy that for one minute." ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Long distance thru hikes and feet growth / swelling
December 29, 5:26pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: thanks
"I must be low on caffeine ... Please re-state your question." 3 X .17 = .51 ~= .53?

In GEAR » Lab Test - Zpacks Waterproof Breathable Event Fabric
December 28, 5:48pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dog Saliva
"Halleluja and praise cuben fiber! BPL helped me tremendously to drop pack weight from 50+ to less than 20 (total)." Amen, brother, amen. Praise The Lite. This whole thread is drif...

In Philosophy & Technique » UL positive feedback system
December 28, 4:58pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm