Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 181 - 190 of 6435 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...644

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: When backpacking, it pays to be small
"But us big ones can still take your lunch money." If you can catch us. ;0))

In Philosophy & Technique » When backpacking, it pays to be small
December 05, 5:08pm

Re: Replacing a waistband
"I've got to get some alterations done soon, and am going to take them with me and see what they say..." If you have not already thought of this, I'd suggest checking with a lo...

In GEAR » Deformed elastic on underclothing
December 05, 5:01pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: mtb biking in wilderness and elsewhere
" All it did was remove an archaic special regulation from any hypothetical opening of existing trails to bikes. Any such change still requires the full spectrum of review and comment, includi...

In Philosophy & Technique » The inevitable bike legalization of the JMT
December 05, 4:58pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: mtb biking in wilderness and elsewhere
"Here's an article about it: http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2008/12/bush-administration-publishes-proposed-rule-mountain-biking-national-parks" Great find, Doug! The MTB'...

December 04, 7:51pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: mtb biking in wilderness and elsewhere
"Evidently I was unclear earlier. The Rattlesnake allowed bikes for the four years between its creation and the FS rule. Since '84 all FS Wilderness areas have banned bikes." Or, e...

December 04, 7:32pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dave C, is this why you want to move biking to the JMT
"Tom, I think it would be easier if you just get Dave nominated for the Supreme Court." No way, Bob. Dave is an honorable man. I think he would be insulted, and rightly so, IMO.

December 04, 7:18pm

Re: Jmt in May?
"Just curious, anyone ever try the JMT in May? I know it depends on the year...but...yeah...just curious if it was doable without snowshoes/skis." May is pushing the envelope, even in...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Jmt in May?
December 04, 5:42pm

Re: Re: Re: Dave C, is this why you want to move biking to the JMT
"This one on the other hand is not..what a lucky guy." If you're going to share the trails with stock, I guess you have to take 'em as they come. I wonder who'd be tougher...

December 04, 5:17pm

Re: Re: Re: mtb biking in wilderness and elsewhere
"Thinking about this brought to mind a much-discussed-at-the-time rule from the last months of the Bush 43 presidency which I haven't heard anything about since; an executive rule which ga...

December 04, 5:05pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: mt biking in wilderness history
"The impact argument is questionable; a skilled MTB rider will cause very little damage whereas careless hikers can quickly destroy trail systems but cutting switchbacks." Perhaps an a...

December 04, 4:45pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm