Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 181 - 190 of 6308 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...631

Forum » Thread

Cap 4
My go to mid layer when temps go below ~30, and my go to base layer between ~ the mid 40's and 30.

In GEAR » Warmest, most breathable winter mid layer
November 11, 5:50pm

Re: Both sides
"When I go mountain biking, it's on trails built by mountain bikers meant for mountain biking. They are hard packed, well maintained by local trail builders and purpose built for it. Wh...

In Philosophy & Technique » The inevitable bike legalization of the JMT
November 11, 5:27pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The inevitable bike legalization of the JMT
"Skis are machines invented to make human travel easier and faster. The categorical side of this question seems pretty basic." ma·chine /məˈSHēn/ noun 1. an apparatus us...

November 11, 5:22pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The inevitable bike legalization of the JMT
"What bugs me and motivates me to keep stirring the pot is that the debate is so often reduced to what I see as knee-jerk statements like "the creators of our wilderness...never intended ...

November 10, 9:12pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The inevitable bike legalization of the JMT
"Those long, cold Montana winters do strange things to a man, Tom. Next thing you know Dave will be advocating to make it legal to ride his grizzly bear in the HOV lane." LOL Sounds l...

November 10, 8:21pm

Re: Re: Re: The inevitable bike legalization of the JMT
"The land belongs to all Americans, not just curmudgeons." Yes, but that doesn't mean they get to trash it with their mechanized means of transportation. They have the same respon...

November 10, 5:47pm

Re: Re: Re: The inevitable bike legalization of the JMT
"The point which always delegitimizes a lot of the impact-based criticism of mountain bikes is that one to one, bikes don't erode trails more than hikers." Can you support this sta...

November 10, 4:49pm

Re: Re: The inevitable bike legalization of the JMT
"I think it's pretty non-controversial to admit that the difference between bikes and skis (allowed in Wilderness) is one of degree rather than type." Maybe in winter if you are ri...

November 10, 4:33pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Feathered Friends Quilt
"Can you explain this more, Tom? How would this be any different than with a zippered mummy bag?" Yes. Hot air rises, and when you unzip the top zipper on the FF Flicker, a lot of war...

In GEAR » New Feathered Friends Quilt
November 08, 8:09pm

Re: Poles & Energy Expenditure
"Sharing exertion over more muscle groups This is where poles can shine, they reduce the intensity of exertion on legs. Poles functioning as movable hand rails certainly do that and they cer...

In Gear Lists » Yet Another PCT List
November 08, 5:21pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm