Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Mark Hurd (markhurd) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale South Texas
About Me Backpacker, climber, cyclist, sometime kayaker, aerospace engineer, entomologist, physician, DIY gear maker, gadget junky, hammock aficionado and former daguerreotypist.---- "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt
CitySan Antonio
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mark Hurd

Showing 181 - 190 of 457 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...46

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Sewing Machine Thread Cone Holder
Sarah, What is the fun of that?:-) Where is that DIY spirit? ;-} Recycle, Reuse, Reduce, and besides, it's more fun to make your own:>) -Mark

In Make Your Own Gear » Sewing Machine Thread Cone Holder
January 08, 8:31pm

Re: Re: Re: "Cobalt" Beer Bottle Stove
Allison, Dan uses a metal wick for lighting the stove. I would assume this is some kind of braided wire affair. He also uses another kind of wick material between the inside and outside wall whi...

In Make Your Own Gear » "Cobalt" Beer Bottle Stove
January 08, 8:16pm

Re: "Cobalt" Beer Bottle Stove
Dan, Thanks for the info.- so doing the math: 2 cups=473 ml = 473 gm water and 70 F to 212 F is the same as 21.1 C to 100 C = 78.89 C degree change. So 473 gms of water X 78.89 degrees C =...

January 08, 5:42pm

Re: "Cobalt" Beer Bottle Stove
Dan, This is a very interesting modification. I will stay tuned. >Boils 2 cups of water in 10 min. using less than 3/4 oz. fuel.< It would be really helpful when your state this kind...

January 07, 9:46pm

Re: Wanderlust: Backcountry Meandering with My Family in the Wallowa Mountains
My wife and I moved to western Oregon in September. We have enjoyed much of what this amazing state has to offer. Hell's Canyon and environs are on our short list, but there is just too much to...

In Editor's Roundtable » Wanderlust: Backcountry Meandering with My Family in the Wallowa Mountains
January 06, 9:18pm

Re: discontinued?
Dana, I found them on the Montbell site HERE -Mark

In GEAR » Montbell O.D.Compact Dripper?
January 06, 10:58am

Re: Re: Hole Punch
If I'm not mistaken a cat food can is made of thin aluminum and a cheap paper punch can do the trick. If you want to punch steel cans or Ti sheet, etc go for the HarborFreight or like models. ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Super Cat Stove
January 05, 1:42pm

Re: Sewing Machine Thread Cone Holder
Maybe you saw it on Ed Speers Hammock site. http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Supplies.htm (scroll to the bottom of the page) It works really well in my experience. -Mark

In Make Your Own Gear » Sewing Machine Thread Cone Holder
January 04, 6:11pm

Re: Re: What alcohol stove with Heineken Pot
Greg, Cone number 4? And I thought I was bad with 3. ;-) -Mark

In GEAR » What alcohol stove with Heineken Pot
December 19, 10:38pm

Re: Re: Re: What alcohol stove with Heineken Pot
Greg, I have never used the Caddy. I roll the cone up and slide it in the can, invert the stove and it fits snug like a cork into the protruding 1/2 inch of cone. I put my cat can lid on top of ...

In GEAR » What alcohol stove with Heineken Pot
December 19, 10:22pm

All Reader Reviews by Mark Hurd

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Packa eVent
I got an eVent Packa when they first came out and have used it quite a bit over the last couple years. The jacket weighs 16 oz, but it is also a pack cover, so if you subtract 1.5 oz for that you ...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 16, 4:52pm

Warbonnet BlackBird
Like the other reviewers, I am really pleased with this piece of gear. Brandon makes each hammock himself. He offers two weights of fabric and single and double bottom models. The roominess of th...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
January 22, 6:31pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
I am reviewing the Caldera Keg, but much of this also applies to the Caldera Cone for the 1.3L Evernew pot which I also own. Easy To Set Up- unroll the cone and slip the dovetails together then ins...

In Stoves - Alcohol
November 06, 5:10pm

TarpTent
My first tent under 7 lbs. was the Cloudburst 2. Well, no, actually it was a Squall 2 which I got and loved, but my wife, Nancy, thought it might be a little, too snug. So I got the Cloudburst 2. Well...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
April 16, 7:18pm

Six Moon Designs
I purchase both the Gatewood Cape and the Essence '07 pack from this company. Very responsive, quick shipping, and well made products. I have not had a problem with either item. Concerning durabil...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 28, 8:27pm

Six Moon Designs Essence '07
Review of the Six Moon Designs Essences ’07 pack I have entered this as a new review as I believe the redesigned pack is significantly different from the previous version and therefore deserves its...

In Backpacks - Frameless
February 27, 6:37pm