BPL Community Profile

Michael Davis (mad777) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale South Florida
About Me I have a place in the White Mountains of New Hampshire and hike there a few times a year and looking forward to retiring there in a few years.

In Florida, most of my camping involves kayaking on our beautiful river swamps and kicking the alligators off the banks to pitch a tent.
CityPalm Beach
StateFlorida / New Hampshire
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Davis

Showing 181 - 190 of 953 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...96

Forum » Thread

Re: "Best Wind Shirt?"
Another vote for Montane Lite-Speed. Very comfortable, durable and versatile. Nice balance between weight and features. Not very water resistant, but if it were, it probably wouldn't be ...

In GEAR » Best Wind Shirt?
June 26, 10:46am

LT4 lock came apart
You're right about US/Canada shipping! I ordered hockey gloves for my son from Canada and the tracking showed that they were mailed the next day but, they arrived in the US a full month later!...

In GEAR » LT4 lock came apart
June 03, 7:25pm

Re: Light and Easy Water Filtration for the Lazy Backpacker
I didn't mean to imply that this isn't a great setup. The Katadin and many other filters will function swell in this mode. I was just trying to make the point that the filter should mat...

In Make Your Own Gear » Light and Easy Water Filtration for the Lazy Backpacker
June 03, 7:08pm

Re: Light and Easy Water Filtration for the Lazy Backpacker
Good looking design and nice weight, too! The only potential problem I have found with gravity filters that have the filter in the collection bag, is lack of pressure for some filter cartridges....

In Make Your Own Gear » Light and Easy Water Filtration for the Lazy Backpacker
May 30, 5:49pm

Re: Down Fill Power Impact on Quilt Temp Rating
That's a very interesting relationship! I have developed a formula for loft vs. temperature using Western Mountaineering's published tables of their products. I use this as a guide when pla...

In GEAR » Down Fill Power Impact on Quilt Temp Rating
May 25, 8:42pm

Re: Value of substantial suspension
Packs, like most things, follow the axiom, "the right tool for the right job." At least, that's how I justify a closet full of packs :-) A summer overnighter vs a multi-day winter ...

In GEAR » Value of substantial suspension
May 25, 8:13pm

Re: Hiking/camping off-site...I'm confused..
For me, the best places to hike/camp are in National Forests of a million acres or more. One can get "lost" in there and camp where ever your heart desires.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hiking/camping off-site...I'm confused...
May 25, 7:39pm

Re: Skiing the John Muir Trail"
WOW! You really captured the splendor of winter! Thanks Kevin!

In Editor's Roundtable » Skiing the John Muir Trail
May 25, 7:28pm

Re: Plastic spork vs Ti spork
Forget the fast food plastic sporks. I vote for the Lexan sporks. I don't think I will ever break mine! It's just as light as ti and a whole lot cheaper.

In GEAR » Plastic spork vs Ti spork ?
May 24, 8:00pm

Re: Need to Add a Sternum Strap
I made one for $1.57 worth of materials from OWFINC.com 1/2" grosgrain 1/2" elastic 1/2" contoured pet cord lock Lots of material left over to fiddle with :-)

In GEAR » Need to Add a Sternum Strap
May 24, 7:49pm

All Reader Reviews by Michael Davis

Showing 1 - 10 of 10 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Backpackinglight Thurofare Pant
I love everything about these pants! They are so light it literally feels like I'm not wearing anything. My size large weighs 4.1 oz. They have features that count but not ones that don't. ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
February 27, 8:29pm

Big Agnes SL3
While there's no tent that works for all purposes in all environments, IMO this is the perfect tent for summer, or year round in Florida. It's a free standing, double wall tent, but the inner ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
September 18, 7:47pm

TNF Diad
In summary, a well designed, lightweight, but not spartan, rain jacket. The jacket is a 2008 product in TNF's Flight Series. In men's size large it weighs 8.9 ounces. I am 6'-1" a...

In Clothing - Raingear
August 19, 4:28pm

Silva Type 54 Compass
This Brunton 54LU compass is also the called the Silva Explorer 54. Brunton USA and Silva of Sweden are the same company. The product is manufactured in Sweden. I am extremely pleased with the Brun...

In Navigation Gear & Accessories
August 13, 4:52am

Icebreaker Tech T Lite Superfine 140
I am completely sold on Icebreaker's Tech T Lite 140 gm/m2. This shirt is pure comfort on 90+ degree, hard vertical hiking trips! I've tried poly, nylon including Columbia, Railriders, etc. Al...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
July 26, 1:45pm

Pacific Outdoor Products Insul Mat Max-Thermo
Both my wife and I have the Max Thermo 3/4 length which weighs 15.0 oz on my scale. It has synthetic insulation inside the air chambers. It's construction is robust. I've never had a failure o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 05, 7:43am

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
While I've always loved the lightweight factor of cooking with alcohol stoves, they consistantly detracted from the overall enjoyment of the outdoors. Fiddling with rickety pot stands, warped fly-...

In Stoves - Alcohol
July 05, 7:29am

MSR Wind Pro
This is the stove that I go to when the weather dictates that water comes from melting the solid form. At 10.2 oz, including stuff sack, it's one of the lightest options to get the Btu's for w...

In Stoves - Canister
July 05, 7:08am

Gerber EVO Titanium-Coated Serrated Knife 2.8 oz
This is a great knife if you are looking for something more substantial than a razor blade but lighter than a Bowie knife. I know many people prefer a razor blade or ripping out a pair of sizzors f...

In Miscellaneous Products
May 24, 5:36pm

SteriPen Adventurer
At 3.6 ounces on my scale, it's lighter that pump filters (1 lb.+/-)and lighter than my ULA Amigo gravity filter (9.6oz). However, pre-filtering is required, through a bandana or coffee filter, et...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
September 22, 12:49pm