Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Jim W. (jimqpublic) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale So-Cal
About Me 46 years old. Married with two kids- Daughter born in 2000, son born in 2003. Loved camping as a little kid. Then we moved to the foot of Mt. Whitney when I was 13. I spent my teenage years backpacking, hiking, snowshoeing, xc & downhill skiing. A lot less since then (living in LA).

Jim
StateCalifornia
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear List2009 solo & family gear

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim W.

Showing 181 - 190 of 876 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...88

Forum » Thread

Re: How cold can it get in the high sierras?
-15 F is the coldest I've seen in winter. In summer I generally suggest that you equip to be comfortable at freezing; that should let you survive at 10F. With older overly optimistic temp ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How cold can it get in the high sierras?
February 02, 8:59pm

Stove@altitude
So true. I've used the Jetboil PCS at 14,000'. It smelled like it wasn't burning very cleanly. No problems under 12000.

In Editor's Roundtable » Deep Freeze: A Cold, Hard Look at Winter Stoves
February 02, 6:20pm

Chemical hand warmers in boots overnight?
I've been considering putting chemical hand warmers in my boots overnight. It seems this would dry them out and keep them warm. Since you would need to carry a pair or two for each night this w...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » alpine sleep system/ boot warming
February 02, 5:58pm

JetBoil Sumo vs. Reactor pots
I went to REI to look at the Sumo pot. It is still pretty narrow- I think the new Reactor 2.5 pot is going to be a lot better for melting snow. The Reactor puts out way more BTU than the Jetboil ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Deep Freeze: A Cold, Hard Look at Winter Stoves
February 02, 5:21pm

PB Re: BB 101
Since you took the bait... values from the Internet: Bare Boxer 101: 275 cubic inches =4.506 liters Peanut Butter specific gravity: 1.25 = 1250 g/l Mass of Bare Boxer full of peanut butter: 56...

In Gear Lists » Everyone needs their own JMT 2012 gear list
February 02, 3:47pm

Pack Towel
ShamWoW! Seriously, I swiped some from my folks and they're great. Mostly I use a bandanna or nothing. I don't like to carry a single-use item like a packtowel. Sometimes I use my mer...

In GEAR » best pack towel?
February 02, 3:15pm

Re: capris vs pants?
Whichever you like better- capris aren't as cool but provide better sun protection. Women have the option of zip-off capri/pants. REI has some nice models. Men's zip-offs always seem...

In GEAR » capris vs pants?
February 02, 3:00pm

Re: week long trips in the West
I like Bob's routes- done most of that ground myself one time or another. A few notes on the Cottonwood to Symmes route. Whitney makes a good layover day option- but you aren't subject ...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » CA destinations
February 02, 2:53pm

Bare Boxer 101 for JMT?
12-14 days total looks like 6-7 from MTR to Whitney Portal. Bare Boxer 101 is less than 1/2 the size I need for that time & distance. If you have a secret plan, I respect that. If you want...

In Gear Lists » Everyone needs their own JMT 2012 gear list
February 02, 2:13pm

Re: JetBoil
If I can pry myself out of bed early tomorrow I'm going to do a freezing-temp, 8,000' elevation comparo of Jetboil Sol, Jetboil PCS, and maybe Svea 123. Or maybe I'll sleep in and sk...

In GEAR » What, no stoves?
February 02, 11:37am

All Reader Reviews by Jim W.

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Six Moon Designs StarLite
I purchased the SMD Starlight with hip belt pockets and frame stays for a 2008 hike of the John Muir Trail. Currently it has about 5 weeks of backpacking use. Weight is per spec at just under 2 po...

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 30, 11:19am

Black Diamond Equipment Customer Service
First, I'll say that usually before you call Customer Service of an equipment manufacturer it means something has gone wrong. This wasn't true for me at all- I contacted them for advice on wh...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 11, 5:06pm

Nike Lava Dome
My original Lava Domes lasted me several years- Wearing to school, mountain biking, hiking, working as a land surveyor. I remember carrying 5 pound Asolo boots in my pack as I wore the Lava Domes wa...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 02, 4:40pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
4.5/5 for overall performance/weight. I bought a Jetboil PCS last summer and used it for testing at home, a two week solo trip, and during a few family day hikes. I love the system compared to...

In Stoves - Canister
March 05, 2:10pm

Sierra Trading Post (STP) web shopping and service
I've been shopping with STP for at least 20 years. The web made this sort of business much easier to shop. Prices are almost always great. Being closeouts, overstocks, and 2nds you have to ke...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 22, 2:48pm