BPL Community Profile

John Whynot (jdw01776) - BPL Guest

My Locale Southeast Texas
About Me Hiking and backpacking (on and off) since 1976, mainly in the northeastern United States.
CityHouston
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Whynot

Showing 181 - 190 of 557 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...56

Forum » Thread

Re: Smartwool Glove Liner Weight?
1.4 ounces for size medium...

In GEAR » Smartwool Glove Liner Weight?
July 14, 12:27pm

Re: Re: Low Body Fat
@Miguel -- Thanks for bringing up the insulin production issue. It's really one of the key points to paleo-type diets, and tends to get overlooked. And yes, a big part of the obesity problem...

In Philosophy & Technique » Low Body Fat - The Tipping Point
July 12, 8:00pm

Re: Four Pass Loop - July 5-7, 2011
Congrats on completing the loop under those conditions. I tried under similar conditions in 2008 -- one look at Buckskin Pass and then one look at Maroon Creek and I said no way. Went back the next...

In Post-Trip Reports » Four Pass Loop - July 5-7, 2011
July 12, 7:40pm

Re: Verto Jacket
The Verto is a wind shell. I've used mine in intermittant light drizzle and mist -- it was fine for that purpose, but will wet through in sustained heavier rain. The fabric is quite thin (trans...

In GEAR » My first ultralight backpacking trip (kinda)
July 12, 11:29am

Re: Re: Low Body Fat - The Tipping Point
@Miguel -- We really have to redefine what "fitness" means... That was very well stated. But if as a result of being fit, I have have visble abs, I'm not complaining...

July 12, 10:57am

Re: Huts & Cabins
Upper Goose Pond cabin is about 50 miles north of Salisbury, CT on the AT, it's a fairly short walk from several road crossings. Bascom Lodge is on the summit of Mt Greylock, which has road acc...

In GEAR » Backpacking for the girly girl
July 11, 9:03pm

Re: Re: What Tim and John just said
What's wrong with hiking to a backcountry cabin or hut? Consider Upper Goose Pond cabin or Bascom Lodge on the AT in Massachusetts. How about the AMC huts in the White Mountains? If you stay...

In GEAR » Backpacking for the girly girl
July 11, 8:43pm

Re: Low Body Fat - The Tipping Point
I'm sorta of in the same boat. I'm 5' 8" and now around 139 lbs, after following the Paleo Diet since January, and changing my exercise strategy. I've lost fat from places I di...

July 09, 10:52am

Re: Re: what is this "wind shirt" of which you speak?
I second the TNF Verto. I found it to fit better than the Houdini, and it worked very well for me on a recent trip...

In GEAR » what is this "wind shirt" of which you speak?
July 03, 4:20pm

Re: Feeling adventurous?
Try this site - plenty of gluten free dessert recipes with no refined sugar. You will need to adapt them for the trail (or bake ahead of time)...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Feeling adventurous?
July 01, 8:52pm

All Reader Reviews by John Whynot

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

StickPic camera mount
A clever, well-engineered, and lightweight (0.35 ounces by my scale) gadget for mounting a camera on the tip of a trekking pole. Should work with any compact camera with a tripod socket. Works ver...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
June 16, 10:55am

BPL Thorofare Trekking Pants
I purchased these as a replacement for my overbuilt Montbell Stretch Windpants. The fabric of the Trekking pants is a microgrid ripstop nylon, with a slightly textured inner surface. Size medium...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 07, 8:31pm