BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 181 - 190 of 1860 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...186

Forum » Thread

Re: purpose built
Well, I far prefer a 1 pound pack for my travels. SMD has hit a winner at 15oz, I think. It depends on other things now. Pad Keepers to maintain interior volume. Hip belts to allow you to carry a 3...

In GEAR » new SMD packs
February 05, 4:15am

Re: Re: Down washes great
For synthetics, you still cannot use a standard washer, ie, anything with an agitator. As was reported it causes clumping, loss of seam strength, if not outright seam tearing, and broken baffles......

In GEAR » Washing a Sleeping Bag
February 04, 8:49pm

Re: re: Anyone else seeing ads...
Yes, it just started showing these on google...first was explorer. I switched to google. That lasted a couple months. Now the bloody things are back filling up my screen with bull crap. I will NEVE...

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » Anyone else seeing ads...
February 03, 7:09pm

Re: Want to dip my toe in the MYOG water...
Be very carefull of buying cheap anything, you need good tools. You will need at least two sets of shears: Larger fabric shears, one small set for at the machine...mostly for cutting threads. Go...

In Make Your Own Gear » Want to dip my toe in the MYOG water...
February 03, 3:32am

Re: The Next Great Gear Invention
I support new companies with new ideas. However, none of the Nube stuff is new. I am rather surprised that anyone would try to get a patent on that stuff. There is nothing I consider a significant ...

In GEAR » The Next Great Gear Invention
February 02, 6:20am

Re: Re: Re: time for an update?
Too bad, this reminds me of the old quote "Quantity has a quality of it's own." I believe this was atributed to Joseph Stalin.

In GEAR » The CAFFIN tents come!
February 01, 2:41pm

Cat tarp or flat?
Cat tarps are designed to cover one or two campers. A few provide you with real living area when it rains. Some have skirts, some have floors, some have both. Like a tent, they are usually limited ...

In GEAR » Cat tarp or flat?
February 01, 5:08am

Re: Why is having to blow up an air pad always treated like such a big deal?
Ha, ha. Mostly, because the hot air is escaping all the time. It *is* a PITA on longer trips. I use an old (origonal) NeoAir medium. Blowing it up every night, then emptying it out every morn ar...

In GEAR » Sleeping pads
January 29, 4:52am

Re: Tarps vs tents vs bivys: What's your $0.02?
Yeah, pretty much agree with varible conditions, variable shelter requirements. But, don't forget the focus of this forum. This bacpackingLIGHT. Lightweight gear and it's uses are alway...

In GEAR » Tarps vs tents vs bivys: What's your $0.02?
January 27, 6:10am

Re: Re: Are there any substantial downsides to having a pot lid with strainer holes?
Yeah, I agree with Jerry. There will be little difference between a regular lid and one with even 8-9 1/16" holes in it. Vapor preasure is increased in either case pretty substantually due to ...

In GEAR » Are there any substantial downsides to having a pot lid with strainer holes?
January 26, 2:45pm

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am