Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 181 - 190 of 1917 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...192

Forum » Thread

Re: Spinnaker???
Yeah, there is still some .75oz/yd spinnacker out there. Generally it is not too good for waterproofness, though. It needs to be fully coated with some mineral spirits and caulk. This brings the we...

In Make Your Own Gear » Spinnaker???
March 13, 2:38pm

Help sort out my confusion
Well, others have mentioned some applications that were not really what you were asking about. For tarps, and flys, you want the fabric as waterproof as needed without increasing weight. PU coat...

In Make Your Own Gear » Help sort out my confusion
March 13, 8:27am

Tarping
I agree with Buck. Half of sucessfull tarp camping is selecting good ground. It really isn't any different than sleeping in the basic lean-to's found throughout the NE. There is not muc...

In GEAR » Tarp camping in the rain
March 12, 4:32am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "I'm Your Density."
No, I don't believe so. Loft is pretty independent of the baffle height except within a similar baffle distance. If the distance between two baffles is different then the average loft will be d...

In GEAR » 30F Bag Comparisons--which to buy? (with spreadsheet!)
March 11, 1:41pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "I'm Your Density."
Just give me all of the data points, and I'll draw conclusions from that (in parallel to the EN tests). I don't work for ASTM, so I don't know/care how, but there are reasonable ways to...

March 11, 8:47am

Re: Re: Re: "I'm Your Density."
"I have a follow-up? Why isn't every bag "overstuffed"? Ie discount the FP to increase down density." There are too many variables to consider when you try to market this. ...

March 11, 6:29am

Re: Re: Black bear climbs out to try and get hanging food
I got a big kick out of that. Why did they use such a heavy rope? And nice bright yellow! And no drop on the bag. It looked more like bear bait than a bear hang to me.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Black bear climbs out to try and get hanging food
March 10, 7:25pm

Re: Does this mean I'm ultralight?
No. Light, UL, SUL, XUL has nothing to do with where you get gear. While it is true that REI or EMS or similar places carry some light weight gear, the majority of available options at those places...

In Philosophy & Technique » Does this mean I'm ultralight?
March 10, 7:28am

Re: Re: Knife sharpeners
Glenn, Yup, I have a lot of DMT stuff in the shop. It more than pays for itself 10 times over sharpening carbide saw blades and router bits. I use them for my chisels and plane irons, too. Anywa...

In GEAR » Knife sharpeners
March 09, 6:54am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Knife sharpeners
Derek, The wet/dry paper is dark grey carborundum babper. It comes in several grits from 400 up to 4000. The finest you can get at wally world or the like is 2000 and leavs a honeable edge. You ca...

In GEAR » Knife sharpeners
March 07, 9:31pm

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am