Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks. No longer a GG Trail Ambassador.
StateNew York

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 181 - 190 of 2211 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...222

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Pack is done... 0.7 ounces!!!
Can't wait to see it!

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » Not nearly STUPID enough! Sub 1oz Pack?
April 22, 4:44am

Re: Svea 123
Yeah, The SVEA 123r is my go to stove. Not really that heavy at ~17-17.5 oz (another 2.5oz for the cup.) Others go between 12-18oz. But the Svea also has a very high efficiency. I typically get abo...

In GEAR » Actual fire hazard of wood burning stoves
April 21, 6:35pm

Re: Re: Actual fire hazard of wood burning stoves
Yeah, alky stoves and esbit are light and easy to carry for short trips. I use them a lot for short weekend trips, peak bagging, etc. (Not so much esbit for the past 4-5 years, it makes a big mess ...

April 21, 4:41am

Re: Arc Haul Christening
Thanks, Dan! My daughter was interested in the Blast. I am glad to hear that this pack carries well even being new.

In GEAR » ZPacks Arc Haul
April 21, 3:14am

Re: Re
Well, canisters and WG stoves generally do not have any fuels available to be burned except for what is in the stove and any latent fuel in hoses/valves, expansion chambers, etc. An alcohol stov...

April 20, 1:57pm

Re: Definitive answers to MYOG Permethrin
"1. The sawyer spray does not give instructions for soaking clothes before hanging them to dry (b/c its a spray). But I've read other instructionals that state you should let the clothes s...

In GEAR » Definitive answers to MYOG Permethrin
April 20, 11:46am

Re: re: cooking fish
I tried the flame spreader once. It didn't work all that well. I had caught a ~11 brook trout and had him for supper. I poked a forked stick through his mouth and spread his ribs near the t...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Grilling Trout Without a Woodfire?
April 20, 10:31am

Re: Theo
It's common sense. The fire is not fully contanined- embers can still float around. There is also the fact that burning wood found at campsite pretty much violates leave no trace principles,too...

April 20, 6:45am

Re: 7 Tests 7 boils 4 cups
Good duty!

In Gear Deals » Brian Green Esbit Tray BGET
April 19, 5:43am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Or... use no stuff sack at all!
I tried using pack liners, trash compactor bags, garbage bags, etc as Clelland has in his book. But they always got punctured, popped, split or something after 2-3 days. A good idea, I could just n...

In GEAR » Ultralight Sleeping Bag Compression Stuff Sack
April 18, 10:00am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Steripen Adventurer Opti
They finally revamped the old Adventurer with the Opti. 1) Improved battery life - The old unit went through batteries at about 25-30L per set. This was primarily because of leaving the batteries ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 16, 5:29am

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am