BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 181 - 190 of 1786 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...179

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: All of the above.
"> Let''s take it as fact that Giardia can pass through the nose to infect. Why???? Frankly, I think it is a rather silly idea. It has no realistic mechanism." Well, not r...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » POP QUIZ
November 03, 5:41pm

Re: Re: Re: Making a Lid out of Alum. Flashing
Well, I have tried a lot of different methodes. The easiest was to simply cut a disk of about 1/4" over the size wanted. Then just tap arount the center on an anvil. This creates a dished, fai...

In Make Your Own Gear » Making a Lid out of Alum. Flashing
November 03, 10:25am

Re: Heat flow around a pot
"James,you might find some interesting information about heat flow on the bottom of a pot in this thread over at my website: Heat flow Around a Pot by “Tony” Does that bundt pan fit p...

In GEAR » My Latest Alcohol Stove Design
November 02, 5:11am

Thru-Hiking Alaska’s Arctic: A 1,000 Mile Solo Traverse
Well Done!!

In Editor's Roundtable » Thru-Hiking Alaska’s Arctic: A 1,000 Mile Solo Traverse
October 30, 9:05am

Re: Heat Exchanger
"... Do you mean that the heat exchanger has concentric ridges like a Fresnel lens? And it is built into the pot? I have thought about making a die that would press large concentric ridges int...

October 27, 7:19pm

Re: Re: Re: My Latest Alcohol Stove Design
"@Heat not only flows into a pot, it will flow out of a pot, simultaneously. It's my belief that a pot of water surrounded by constant 300 degree flames is constantly absorbing water un...

October 25, 1:39pm

Re: My Latest Alcohol Stove Design
I did some experiments about 10-12 years ago with heat exchangers. I was looking to maximize heat transfer between a flame (any kind of stove) and the water inside. Basically, it turns out that by...

October 25, 6:25am

Re: logic behind
Well the intended purpose is correct, anyway. "Furthermore, since some of these breathable waterproof fabrics, in my basic understanding, allow air to flow in one direction by using them ba...

In Multiple Use Gear » Vapor Barrier Liners and Waterproof Materials
October 25, 4:15am

Vermont's Long Trail
A good trip report! Thanks!

In Post-Trip Reports » Vermont's Long Trail
October 23, 3:55am

stove arrived
Yup, mine arrived yesterday. I did some preliminary tests and was getting about 10-12g/L, with no tweaking. Weight was 86g.

In Editor's Roundtable » The Evolution of a Winter Stove - Part 3
October 22, 9:33am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am