BPL Community Profile

Zack Karas (iwillchopyou@hotmail.com) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Lake Tahoe
About Me Trail names that haven't stuck: Oprah, Sir Craps-a-Lot, Runaway Blouse, Bunefa, Steve, Big McLargeHuge, The Inedible Uncle Fabulous.

Don't ask.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Zack Karas

Showing 181 - 190 of 399 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...40

Forum » Thread

SHR stuff
Jack, thanks for the reply. I've actually seen most of your videos on youtube--you look 'bigger' on your avatar, so I was surprised to see that it was your videos! I've also hik...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sierra High Route discussion
August 17, 10:00am

SHR
Klas, I would love it if you could find my new thread titled "Sierra High Route Discussion" and check out some of my introductory questions.

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Sierra High Route-1 partner needed for a section
August 16, 8:50pm

SMD Wild Oasis in windy alpine conditions
I'm considering getting the Wild Oasis for my solo trips where mileage is key--I also like to have a nice bug-free shelter that allows me space to stretch/move around (so I'm not leaning to...

In GEAR » SMD Wild Oasis in windy alpine conditions
August 16, 1:49pm

Disco!
Hey man, I don't have an elevation profile, but I do have some excitement that you are coming out to Tahoe! When are you thinking of hiking the TRT? Buddha and I would love to have you over a...

In Gear Swap » WTB: Tahoe Rim Trail Elevation Profile Map
August 16, 1:30pm

Dave T? Klas? Bueller?
Bumperooni

August 15, 12:29pm

Sprint aquatics
+1 for the sprints. I would recommend wearing your camp socks along with the sprints if you will be walking around camp much at night, otherwise you definitely feel more of what you are walking on...

In GEAR » Camp shoes - slip-on, substantial, light
August 15, 12:16pm

trt
I hope you guys have a great time. I live in Tahoe City, and while it seems you'll have a car, if I can help out please let me know. Also, last week I hiked the TRT from Velma Lakes area ...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » TRT - 2 Strangers / 4 Days
August 13, 12:28pm

Sierra High Route discussion
Hi, I have yet to obtain Roper's book, so please bear with me while I ask what are sure to be newbie questions. I've read Skurka's website info and some threads here on BPL, Chris &...

August 13, 12:24pm

SHR solo
Thanks, Dave. I spent some time reading past threads on the SHR and am going to start a new thread with some questions I have that you, Klas and maybe others might be able to answer.

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Sierra High Route-1 partner needed for a section
August 13, 11:05am

SHT solo
Is it really that sketchy to hike the Sierra High Route solo? I'm contemplating this for a solo trip either late this year or next year. I understand that there are increased risks involved (...

August 12, 8:07pm

All Reader Reviews by Zack Karas

Showing 1 - 10 of 20 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Backpacking Light Ti Esbit stove
As many previous reviewers have noted, this light stove works well and supports my ti pot well. I only use this in lower elevations and warmer weather, but that is due to esbit not the stove. I ...

In Stoves - Other
September 15, 12:36pm

Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest
I buy a size regular and cut it into two 30" long sections and I believe they weigh 5oz. One pad will last me for about 1200 miles before I replace it--though the replaced pad still has life lef...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
September 15, 12:33pm

Bibler Eldorado
I have only used it around 14 or so nights since then (only use it in more rugged and windy environments when snow is a possibility). My wife and I used it for our 10-day Tibet trek and it perfor...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
September 09, 4:47pm

BPL Blow-Up Pillow
I had high hopes for this pillow--the single baffle version. I have found that I have to inflate it very little to avoid my head rolling all over the place. So, in order for this pillow to keep my h...

In Miscellaneous Products
September 09, 4:36pm

Adidas Supernova Trail 5
After having foot problems, I went to a podiatrist and had custom orthotics made. The Dr. also recommended these shoes and to replace all shoes every 300-500 miles. Since using these, I have had z...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
September 09, 4:04pm

Red Ledge Thunderlight pants
I'm surprised that more people don't use and/or know about these. My pants weigh 6.5oz size medium and fit over my shoes. They have button snaps at the ankle to allow for 2 different sizes b...

In Clothing - Raingear
September 09, 4:00pm

Brasslite Turbo II-D
Purchased in 2004, used for around 6000 trail miles. Weighs 2.5oz, so there are lighter alternatives out there, but for the slimmer sleeve I feel it is worth it as it allows a broader trail diet. ...

In Stoves - Alcohol
September 08, 10:15am

Western Mountaineering Pod 30
Purchased in 2005, used for entire CDT, 10-day Tibet trek, Iceland thruhike, 6 months hiking in NZ, plus about another 1000 or so miles. Weighs 17 oz after cutting off pad sleeve. Only downsid...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
September 08, 10:12am

Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 3
I recently purchased this for a thruhike of Iceland based on its' weight. It performed well, but let me explain... The foot-end of the tent is lower than the head-end, plus the vestibules are ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
September 08, 10:06am

Dirty Girl Gaiters
These would be a 5 if the supplied adhesive strip resisting peeling after very wet days. Superglue was the answer and has held the velcro down wonderfully. Very breathable (and I'm a sweater...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
September 08, 9:59am