BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 - US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Here to hike more comfortably and maybe a bit furtherfaster while still stopping for scenery. Finished my 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one (both interchangeable).

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 181 - 190 of 1120 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...112

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: What footwear for The Narrows Zion?
I day hiked from the bottom at the end of May several years back. Synthetic hikers worked for me as there are big rocks you may not see as you plant your foot. Just squeeze them dry when you hit ...

In GEAR » What footwear for The Narrows Zion?
April 04, 8:27am

Point Reyes CA and surroundings early March photos
Did a little backpacking/travel trip including over the Golden Gate Bridge and area (via an unplanned departure from the Embacardo), then with a foot injury to Point Reyes via the Olema shuttle (an...

In Photo Gallery » Point Reyes CA and surroundings photo log
April 03, 2:55pm

Re: "The Grocery Sack Grows Up: A Genealogy of the Modern Ultralight Backpack"
Great link Tony. Regarding the Ray-Way, my thinking is that he "popularized" ultralight backpacking. Before he did his thru hikes, I saw references to Ultimate Direction in BP mag do...

In Editor's Roundtable » The Grocery Sack Grows Up: A Genealogy of the Modern Ultralight Backpack
April 02, 7:02pm

More militarization
+1 to Craig on increased militarization ("SWAT") of US police. Now I think the police should have an on-call SWAT capability (most police now keep the gear in the cars of specially train...

In Chaff » Weekend of protests going bad and more violence...
April 02, 8:26am

Re: The Grocery Sack Grows Up: A Genealogy of the Modern Ultralight Backpack
Great article and interesting thought about Ray's physiology (shoulder musculature) playing a role in his choosing a hipbelt less pack design for plain old backpacking. Think others could go w...

In Editor's Roundtable » The Grocery Sack Grows Up: A Genealogy of the Modern Ultralight Backpack
April 02, 8:08am

Re: Should I Buy A Hexamid Solo?
Kind of at the same point myself looking to replace an old Tarptent Moment SW with Hexamid Solo Plus or Twin tarp with matching bug shelter (ZPacks or other). The Moment works fine but thinking a...

In GEAR » Should I Buy A Hexamid Solo?
March 31, 2:54pm

Re: Re: Socks with sandals
Shows what you PNWers know. For the past 20+ years, everyone knows chicks only dig black sandals when worn with black sandals. Think fashion.

In Philosophy & Technique » Sandals: How to protect your feet against mosquitoes and ticks
March 31, 2:48pm

Re: Re: The GOP (The Party For The Unstable) Hate National Parks Too
@ Richard - I think this is a good topic to mull in Chaff as I'm assuming the vast majority want to hike more in the future: Justin said I think turning over our national parks to the states...

In Chaff » The GOP (The Party For The Unstable) Hate National Parks Too
March 31, 1:46pm

Make your next mid-life crisis (or 1/4 life or 3/4 life) fun
Just some food for thought since there seems to be a lack of "search and rescue" stories to browse while working at work ... http://www.adventure-journal.com/2013/08/the-new-mid-lif...

In Philosophy & Technique » Make your next mid-life crisis (or 1/4 life or 3/4 life) fun
March 31, 11:29am

Re: National park funding
Public land exists for recreation but also to help supply water storage and habitat for wildlife (and more importantly, the genetic health of big animals, including game). An additional focus may...

In Chaff » The GOP (The Party For The Unstable) Hate National Parks Too
March 31, 10:56am

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.