Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

george carr (hammer-one) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Walking With The Son
About Me Enjoy UL backpacking and building stoves.
Citylindenwold
Statenew jersey
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.walkingwiththeson.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by george carr

Showing 181 - 190 of 379 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...38

Forum » Thread

Thanks Jeff!
Jeff, thanks for the great tip. The STS and Hammersley Wilds turned out to be just the trip to introduce my friends to backpacking. As soon as I get a chance I'll post a trip report.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Swimming Holes
July 20, 2:52pm

Nalgene Canteen
The Nalgene Canteen has a wide mouth screw on lid, is watertight, and can handle boiling water.

In GEAR » food rehydration container?
July 16, 5:37pm

Re:Re:Swimming Holes
If I'm far enough out that they don't bother building bridges, I smile at every stream crossing.

July 14, 3:06pm

Stream Crossings
Alright guys, you got me sold. OLP might wind up being one of my next hikes. I love stream crossings. Here's one crossing Big Wilson stream in the 100 Mile wilderness:

July 13, 2:45pm

Re:Old Loger Path
Kevin, Thanks for the tip. We're going to hit the STS this weekend, but will definitely keep the OLP in mind! I've hiked the AT, Catskills, Dacks and yet live so close to PA and never ta...

July 13, 8:30am

Mesh bag
The mesh bag the Equinox bivy comes in is about 5"x4", so no it's not gonna cut it as a bug screen.

In GEAR » Reccomend a bivy sack?
July 12, 9:16pm

As light as they come...
I find that 99% of my cutting chores require just a small blade so I incorporated the Stanley Mitey-Knife into my kit. It weighs just 7 grams including the 2 spare blades inside the handle, and is...

In GEAR » UL pocketknife - what blade do you carry?
July 12, 4:07pm

Re:Equinox
The Equinox bivy does not have mosquito mesh, but is a great value, especially if you don't mind wearing a head net or adding mesh.

In GEAR » Reccomend a bivy sack?
July 12, 9:18am

Re:backpacking with my wife
My wife is also very supportive of my love of the outdoors, but has no desire to camp in the woods. She does, however, like to hike. I wanted to do a weekend trip with her so the compromise I struc...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » backpacking with my wife
July 10, 3:20pm

Re: Pine Grove Furnace
Josh, thanks for the suggestion. I thought about Pine Grove Furnace and Caledonia, but the guys were looking more for a hole they could hike to. We're going to give the Hammersly Wild Area a sh...

July 10, 3:07pm

All Reader Reviews by george carr

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain House Precooked Scrambled Eggs with Bacon
When I decide to pack a hot breakfast I usually either pick up the MH eggs with bacon or ham and peppers. As one reviewer suggested, pour out the water before consuming. I usually prepare this dish as...

In Foods - Prepackaged Meals & Side Dishes
February 19, 7:47pm

Mountain House Lasagna with Meat Sauce
When I grab a freeze dried dinner for an overnighter, the MH lasagna is my number one choice. I liked it when I started in '88 and still like it today.

In Foods - Prepackaged Meals & Side Dishes
February 19, 7:40pm

Lightweight Backpacking 101 Ryan Jordan, Alan Dixon + (2001)
When I 1st joined BL.com this was the article that convinced me sub 5 was possible. I think that on the home page there should be a link that says read this first. While the original might use some up...

In Books and Media
February 19, 7:34pm

The Ultralight Backpacker by Ryel Kestenbaum
At the time of this books publishing UL backpacking was still relatively new to the general backpacking public, so as the saying goes "you can fool some of the people some of the time...". T...

In Books and Media
February 19, 7:28pm

Tarptent Squall
I purchased my Tarptent Squall in 2004 and now consider it my main shelter when I am carrying a tent. Henry Shires was a pleasure to deal with and very helpful. The squall has served me well from my b...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
February 10, 8:42am

Powerbar Energy Gel Caffinated Gels
I discovered energy gels a few years ago and decided to try the Powerbar brand on an AT hike in 2004. If you've never tried a carbohydrate gel or don't typically take in caffeine all I can say...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
February 10, 8:31am

Montbell Thermawrap Vest
I've owned the Montbell Thermawrap UL Vest for 3 seasons now, and like many folks I puchased it to save weight. I originally carried a fleece vest that had trustily served me for many years, so I ...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
February 10, 8:12am