BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 181 - 190 of 1656 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...166

Forum » Thread

Canon S100
It's 5 better than the S95! In truth, it's a complete overhaul: revised body, new imager, new lens, new processor, more features, including GPS. http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon...

In Photography » Canon S100
September 15, 11:29am

Re: NEX EVF
I'm not sure OLED displays are necessarily higher resolution than LED, but at least from what I've seen they are both "crisper" and have richer, more saturated colors at similar d...

In Photography » NEX EVF
September 14, 10:30am

Re: Pre-heat tube on cannister-top burner: reasons why?
"I suppose a simple way to test my heat feedback theory is to run the stove for a while and then feel the top of the canister. If the top of the canister is at all warm or even simply room tem...

In GEAR » Pre-heat tube on cannister-top burner: reasons why?
September 13, 10:43am

Re: Massive burn holes in floor of tent! (see pic) Can it be repaired?
Dear lord, the only scenario I can come up with is pitching the tent on a lava flow. Flaming cocktails served in stemware? If you were in the States I'd recommend sending it to somewhere ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Massive burn holes in floor of tent! (see pic) Can it be repaired?
September 12, 7:08pm

Re: Knife sharpness question
Hi Wayne, I have a 556 combo blade and while it was quite sharp when new the smooth blade portion has become dull as dishwater. I can still mangle myself on the serrated portion quite nicely, th...

In GEAR » Knife sharpness question
September 12, 4:30pm

Re: Pre-heat tube on cannister-top burner: reasons why?
That stove design is darn loopy [sorry, really]. I say cut the thing in two with a bandsaw so's we can see the guts! Maybe they were trying to design their own scramjet stove or something? I...

In GEAR » Pre-heat tube on cannister-top burner: reasons why?
September 12, 2:34pm

Re: Microgrinding
Via is instant coffee combined with "microground" coffee bean to set it apart from the usual instant. In the cup it's most similar to coffee from a French press, which explains the la...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » caffeine tablets in place of tea or coffee?
September 09, 3:03pm

Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal
"I've read posts where people were having real difficulty priming. I had no idea if they had a lemon, didn't know what they were doing, or the stove is just "difficult," so t...

In GEAR » The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal
September 08, 2:27pm

Re: caffeiene addiction
I won't claim Via has changed my life, but it's made it a lot simpler and more enjoyable. Viva Via! (Gawd, I sound like a shill.) Anyhoo, if cold coffee isn't your thing I'll rec...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » caffeine tablets in place of tea or coffee?
September 08, 11:15am

Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal
Hi Jim, I wouldn't call the Fyrestorm "difficult" to prime but it does have a propensity to emit a Really Big Orange Flame until it settles down to a cook flame, meaning don't ...

In GEAR » The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal
September 08, 11:03am

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm

Backcountrygear.com
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm