BPL Community Profile

Stephen Barber (grampa) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale SoCal
About Me Stephen Barber has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Stephen Barber

Showing 181 - 190 of 1248 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...125

Forum » Thread

Rent for a lifetime!
Here's my Spot. I cancelled the service last winter. When it didn't go through after I'd told my wife I would send her an "All OK" message, she panicked. When I told her I...

In Gear Swap » Want to Borrow/Rent Spot 2
August 02, 7:14pm

cat stove?
Pretty sure the Sierra is under a severe fire warning, meaning (among other things) that alcohol stoves are banned. I'm sure you have your reasons for ignoring the ban.

In Gear Lists » What I'm Taking on my JMT Hike (this is how you do it)
August 01, 10:15am

Sitting there
If you used your Sawyer filter, then let it sit for weeks to months, two things can happen: 1) Without a chlorine flush (see instructions for details - NOT straight chlorine!), bacteria can buil...

In GEAR » Sawyer Squeeze flow rate timing
July 28, 10:11am

re: UL stove
Alcohol and esbit stoves are super light, but be aware that in many parts of the western USA they are banned during high fire danger, and you will need to either use your Jetboil (or another lighte...

In GEAR » My first UL stove?
July 25, 8:53pm

re: summer pants
Two possibilities from Railriders - Railriders Eco Mesh pants - quick drying, zip open mesh stripe, good for hot or cool hiking. Two drawbacks: Not cheap, and is impregnated with permethrin. The...

In GEAR » Recommend a Light-fast drying-no zip off-pant for hot summer hikes
July 25, 12:23pm

Duck Down
Back in the day (like 40 years ago) Betsy and I had sleeping bags filled with duck down. We used them for a number of years, mostly in Oregon, until we bought some lighter goose down bags. I don...

In GEAR » enLIGHTened equipment product changes in Sept.
July 23, 12:29pm

re: Help!
PM sent

In Gear Swap » HELP!! Need to BORROW or RENT 1-person shelter in Southern California
July 18, 8:05pm

re: Fire on the Mountain
Same here, Nick. San Jacinto is my favorite local area, and I get up there every year...but maybe not this year. I've been watching all the reports since the fire started, hoping that it wouldn...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Fire on the Mountain
July 18, 1:59pm

re: Drying wipes before trip
What's the difference between a dried wipe and a bandana? Except the bandana is multi-use.

In GEAR » unscented body wipes?
July 17, 6:56pm

San Jacinto Fire
If you SoCal folks haven't heard, there is a fire that started yesterday at the junction of Hwys 74 and 243, just south of Idyllwild. Flames can be seen from Palm Springs and at times the smoke...

In Chaff » San Jacinto Fire
July 16, 1:05pm

All Reader Reviews by Stephen Barber

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

ZPacks Sleeping Bag 40* and 20*
This is the side sleepers dream bag! The bags are filled with 900 fill power goose down, outer shell is green .95 oz/sq yd Pertex Quantum ripstop nylon, and the liner is black .67 oz/sq yd nylon. ...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
July 25, 9:25pm

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite Sleeping Pad
Upon receipt of the pad, I inflated it to sleeping firmness, and stood it up against the bookcase. An hour later it looked rather soft; three hours later it was in a pile on the floor. Brand new, and ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
January 24, 11:49pm

Lawson Equipment Customer Service
I've purchased from Lawson on several different occasions. I've always gotten excellent service, fast shipping (especially considering I live clear across the country!), and good interaction v...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
January 20, 11:47am

ULA Catalyst
I've spent the last two years trying to find a pack that is both light and comfortable, ie, transfers weight to the hip bones well. To date, i had found packs that were only one but not the other ...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
June 04, 8:11pm

Bushbuddy "Ultra" (BPL/Ryan Jordan/Arctic 1000 Version) Wood Stove
I was able to pick up a Bushbuddy Ti used, and can't imagine why anyone would want to get rid of one! I used it repeatedly this summer and have been absolutely delighted with it! It is probably...

In Stoves - Other
August 18, 11:59am