BPL Community Profile

Richard Matthews (food) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado Rockies
About Me Orienteering 25+ years.

Xski and done 20+ hut trips

Hiked Colorado Trail and now adopter.

Hiked Wonderland Trail

Summitted 29 14'ers.

40+ nights below the rim in the Grand Canyon. Linked trips to walk from Cameron to Elves Chasm.
CityWheat Ridge
StateColorado

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Matthews

Showing 181 - 190 of 392 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...40

Forum » Thread

WARNING!!!!!
BPL does NOT advise boiling stove fuel. Your charts confirm my experience. I boil 3 pints per night and like to carry a little alcohol in reserve. Without the Caldera Cone I switched from alco...

In GEAR » Alcohol stoves
August 02, 3:04pm

Slope?
Alan, I appreciate your analysis. However, I do not understand how any of the lines could be level. I agree that the canisters use less fuel per unit boiled, but they do use fuel. I underst...

In GEAR » Alcohol stoves
August 02, 10:55am

Re: Bushbuddy or Caldera Cone?
I have a Bushbuddy and have used it for day hikes. Pros: Finally there is a way to maintain fire building skills without scorching the planet. No carried fuel, but I still carry enough ESBIT...

In GEAR » Alcohol stoves
August 01, 2:52pm

Re: Alcohol stoves
Caldera Cone stove with 3 cup anodized antigravity gear pot. The carry problem is solved because this model will fit into a 4 cup ZipLock screw on top container. No scientific tests, but this sto...

In GEAR » Alcohol stoves
August 01, 11:06am

Re: Preparing for a Trip
Us gear addicts need to learn new techniques with every equipment change. I fire up stoves on the patio, on training hikes and test weekenders. I test all my food choices before hikes. However...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Preparing for a Trip
July 27, 11:47am

Re: Re: Re: Reassure me about my poncho
David, Pants do not get very wet from rain when you wear a poncho. Pants generally get wet from bashing through wet weeds and understory. In the Rockies it is generally possible to avoid the w...

In GEAR » Reassure me about my poncho
July 26, 10:03am

Re: Reassure me about my poncho
Lyndell, I am not sure where in the West you are hiking. I hike in REI Sahara pants in Colorado. I have not worn rain pants for 3 season hiking in a decade. I am a LW/UL hiker. I know how ...

In GEAR » Reassure me about my poncho
July 26, 7:16am

Re: Very helpful thread for me
Brian, I attach the poncho to the Hennessy clips just like a regular fly. The extra stuff goes under the poncho, but on the outside of the hammock. The jacket is at the foot end so that it is ...

In Multiple Use Gear » GoLite Poncho as hammock fly
July 25, 1:03pm

Re: ULA Field Trip
Brian, That is gentle treatment. I understand that Warmlite makes to strip to the buff. But that might not be related to security. The names "skunk works" and "mystery ranch&...

In GEAR » My Field Trip To ULA Equipment
July 25, 10:33am

Re: Re: Re: Trip report on Golite Poncho as HH rainfly
Jason, The link to the best picture is: http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=154&c=11&orderby=title&direction=ASC&cutoffdate=-1 Brian, Is is one of those...

In Multiple Use Gear » GoLite Poncho as hammock fly
July 24, 11:22am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Matthews

Showing 1 - 10 of 11 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Trail Designs Customer Service
Rand provides better customer service that we have a right to expect. The Caldera Cones are the most fuel efficient that I have used.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
November 26, 3:48pm

zpacks Company
I have purchased packs and pouches and had Joe do some custom sewing. The quality is excellent and the delivery time is great. I mailed him a G4 for some modifications and received it back in 8 da...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 04, 8:23am

Zpacks Blast 32
Blast 32 by Zpack Options and additions: Webbing belt, Sternum strap, Daisy chain on shoulder straps, Base shock cord loops, One shoulder pouch, Shockcord and cordlock water bottle holder on ...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 26, 9:08am

Equinox Silnylon Poncho
I use the extended version sold through Campmor. Recently I did a rainy week long hike with my 74 year old friend. We wore our ponchos at some time every day for a week. When we were coming out we ...

In Clothing - Raingear
January 04, 9:54am

Jacks R Better No Sniveller quilt
I got the No Sniveller and Nest together to use with my hammock. When wearing expedition weight long underwear the quilts will keep me warm to 30 degrees in the hammock. I also use the NS on the g...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
January 03, 3:23pm

Hennessy Hammock Asym
I have used the Hennessy as my primary shelter for 4 years now. The A-Sym design allows a poncho to be used as the fly. The bottom entry allows the fly to be set very close to the hammock. This...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
January 03, 3:09pm

Gatorade Bottle
I use a cozy made out of CCF pad so that I can shake my hot beverages. The mouth is just wide enough to allow drink mixes to be added without spilling. They fit in a normal bike bottle holster. ...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
January 03, 2:37pm

Trangia 28-5 Mini Aluminum Cook Pot
The lid from the AntiGravityGear 3 cup pot fits pretty well on the pot. Pour in a bag meals become monotonous quickly. This set gives me the ability to fry. The skillet works well with the alco...

In Cookware - Other
January 03, 2:27pm

Mary Jane's Farm Sante Fe Pasta
Don't forget Nick's Couch Potatoes, Red Pesto Pasta and Mac & Cheese. Lots of olive oil with all of them. I generally add chopped turkey pepperoni or bacon crumbles.

In Foods - Prepackaged Meals & Side Dishes
August 04, 7:18am

Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo
This tent brings together many of the superior design features from other light weight tents. The basic design is similar to the Dancing Light Gear Tacoma Solo Shelter. The Lunar solo has a very g...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
August 04, 7:08am