Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Evan McCarthy (evanrussia) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Northern Europe
About Me Expat UL backpacker living in Riga and exploring Northern Europe's trail and forests.
CityRiga
StateRiga
CountryLatvia
My Website URLhttps://www.facebook.com/evankylemccarthy
My PDF Gear ListGear List for June-July Kungsleden

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Evan McCarthy

Showing 181 - 190 of 392 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...40

Forum » Thread

Of Two Minds
Even in the height of summer heat here in Virginia, I choose between a 150 weight Icebreaker GT (with a weensy bit o spandex mixed in with the wool) and Capilene 1. The wool gets damp with your sw...

In GEAR » best heat/ summer shirt?
July 19, 7:03pm

Choices
If you want to do a New England UL weekend proper up in NH, that's awesome. I'd hope you could get a good crew just from your area. But if you wanted to include us Mid-Atlantic folks (I&#...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » New England ultralight weekend!
July 19, 6:58pm

SUL Pack
+1 on the Burn (which could be in stock). The fit is magical (at least for my 5'9"/150 lbs body with the medium).

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » Sul/xul pack
July 18, 8:35am

re: shelter
Humming . . . or drumming, Brent?

In GEAR » Favorite piece of gear?
July 18, 8:13am

Gotta Love Shelters for Favorite Gear
I'm split between my MLD Cuben Mini Solo Tarp (for trips when weight is key and the weather is somewhat okay) and Cuben Duomid (for the times when you want total protection - and weight is stil...

In GEAR » Favorite piece of gear?
July 18, 7:13am

Re: New England ultralight weekend!
If the dates work, I'd be interested in coming up (maybe even with a mid-Atlantic posse). What did you have in mind for details?

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » New England ultralight weekend!
July 18, 7:06am

Trust
I actually completely trust former (or current) soldiers, marines, law enforcement personnel, and anyone with the training and/or life experience with weapons. I'm just not sure that everyone ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Are you "packing" while you are packing?
July 15, 11:50am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Women and Guns
Sorry! I actually didn't intend a gender slant to the main point, despite the post title. It was more parenthetical, since more women brought this up on my outings, out of concern for safety ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Are you "packing" while you are packing?
July 15, 10:57am

Guns
The pack while packing debate has come up a few times in backpacking groups, usually people who want the gun for human deterrent, particularly while hiking solo. I always ended up pointing out exa...

July 15, 8:53am

Interested
I'm definitely interested in an SUL forum, BPL or otherwise. SUL as a goal and an achievement is fun, particularly for those who go out a lot and like changing things up or working on trade cr...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » We need a SUL Thread PLEASE
July 15, 7:13am

All Reader Reviews by Evan McCarthy

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Nunatak Arc Edge
I was dubious about an 11 oz. quilt that keeps you warm when pushing it -- but I just go back from an outing with the Arc Edge down to high 30s even (not quite expected) and found the quilt and Nunata...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
April 17, 6:48pm