Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Mike Barney (eaglemb) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale AZ, the Great Southwest!
About Me YooHoo!

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mike Barney

Showing 181 - 190 of 509 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...51

Forum » Thread

Turkey bag cook'n: Replace a 20 oz pot?
We're going back to Philmont next summer. One of the areas we'd like to lighten up is in the cooking area: We use Turkey bags and a 20 oz pot. : Boil water in a pot, then dump the hot wa...

In Make Your Own Gear » Best Cozy material?
August 22, 7:49pm

Re: MYOG headlamp?
I built several. As for your cost estimate, manufacturers often have about a 25% materials cost based on MSRP, so that's pretty close. What I found was that while I could put together a pr...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG headlamp?
August 21, 9:07pm

Re: Cloudburst 2... pros and cons...
I had a Cloudburst 2 for a while and liked it, it set up fast, was pretty good in the wind. No real negatives, I just wanted a bigger tent, got a Rainshadow. Henry absolutely makes it worthwh...

In GEAR » Cloudburst 2... pros and cons...
August 21, 8:56pm

Re: Re: Drying a Platypus Quickly
The video also works for me using IE 7.0 If you really want to dry one fast, you could use a compressor set for a very low pressure with a short 1/4" hose off the end of a 'handi-nozzle...

In GEAR » Platypus - how to dry them out
August 18, 6:00pm

Re: ULA Catalyst need help shaping the dual frame
I've had a Catalyst w/ dual AL framestays for more than a year, and had to play with the dual stays a little bit. I took an incremental approach. At first the shoulders didn't fit well, s...

In GEAR » ULA Catalyst need help shaping the dual frame
August 18, 3:52pm

Re: Re: RE: "Platypus - how to dry them out"
Agree w/ X . I shake mine out, then blow it up and hang it outside. Drain the hose, into the near sun. About a 2 hrs in AZ right now and it's pretty dry. YMMV Mike B

In GEAR » Platypus - how to dry them out
August 18, 1:21pm

Probably
You're right, it's not that hard to learn, and a heck of a lot easier to translate between units. What is difficult is the hysteresis in the system: There is a fair amount gear still in E...

In Chaff » Should BPL go metric?
August 03, 10:31pm

Re: Fishing without pole?
This actually works pretty well. We went on 'Survival Campouts' in the past, and used the delaminated webbing from belts and sticks. Hooks weigh virtually nothing as does 10 yards o...

In Fishing » Fishing without pole?
July 30, 7:39pm

Huh??: Down bags not returnable at REI
2 years ago I bought a returned Marmot -20 down bag from REI at the Garage Sale. The tag indicated it was a return that had been returned with a small zipper rip, which was easily fixed.

In GEAR » REI Customer Service???
July 27, 9:30pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Satellite Phone recs
Here's the problem: Compact PLB's are so new, that very few people have actually used them successfully. Further, there are virtually -0- options to test them, as bells go off and lights f...

In GEAR » Satellite Phone recs
July 24, 9:40pm

All Reader Reviews by Mike Barney

Showing 1 - 10 of 62 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Review

Category

MSR Pocket Rocket
This is a pretty basic stove that is simple to operate. It's lightweight and reasonably efficient. We used 3 of these on a 10 day hike with 10 people and they worked well. The stove is reas...

In Stoves - Canister
December 08, 5:52pm

Light My Fire Spork
I like the LMF Spork, but it's almost too flexible. I can agree with many if not most of the comments above, and have had one break. When you use it to stir something very hot, it gets soft and ...

In Cookware - Other
November 23, 9:49pm

Garmin Rino 120 GPS and FRS / GMRS Radio
Great Idea, lacking implementation.The premis of the Rino family is that it would be great to know where others are via GPS location. Great Idea. This is accomplished by using FRS radio frequencies i...

In Navigation Gear & Accessories
January 21, 2:53pm

Marmot Helium (long)
I had this bag for a short period, but really liked it. It's so warm, that it was almost too warm for me above freezing, but a very comfortable bag overall. It fits me (6'1") well a...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
January 04, 7:24pm

Atkinson's Chick-O-Stick Crunchy Peanut Butter & Coconut Candy
I really like the "Chick'O's", they do pack significant energy in a small package, and the taste is very good. They don't break as easy as some, and have a similar texture in h...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
December 27, 5:29pm

Jolt Gum
I guess if I was going to give this a really fair shake I'd have consumed the whole pack. Unfortunately or fortunately 1/2 a piece was more than enough. The taste isn't there, and I do have ...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
December 11, 11:09pm

Big Agnes
We had a short term need for a bag and pad we could use at Philmont, and the Scout was on a budget. We looked around and called Big Agnes. They had a demo bag come in the next day, and they called b...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 11, 7:28pm

WalMart
Walmart really does have nice people in their outdoors department at our local establishment, who know a lot about the Coleman lanterns and stoves and shotguns / rifles and ammo and really try to hel...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 07, 10:24pm

Tarptent Cloudburst
The Cloudburst 2 was my first tent from Tarptent. I like the design, and it holds up well in rain and wind. It sleeps 2 comfortably and sets up pretty easily with as few as 3 stakes. It weight a ha...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
December 04, 9:24pm

Sling-Light Chair w/ body and kneck rest
I purchased 2 of these initially for a 2 week hike. In the store, it seemed like a pretty good idea during a quick checkout. It's less than 2 lbs, so one of the lighter camp chairs available. It do...

In Miscellaneous Products
December 04, 8:25pm