BPL Community Profile

carl becker (carlbecker) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Northern Virginia
About Me 54 years old 6' at 200lbs and getting back to doing some overnight hiking.
CityFairfax
StateVirginia
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear List3 season

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by carl becker

Showing 181 - 190 of 319 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...32

Forum » Thread

Re: JMT with my 13 year old
IMHO it depends specificly on your son. I took my 5 year old daughter hiking several times and we had a great time. She got tried once and I had to carry her further than I wanted but all was wel...

In Philosophy & Technique » JMT with my 13 year old
December 17, 11:05am

Re: Trekking Poles vs. Walking Staff
I have been hiking on and off for 35 years. Last year I re equipped myself from car camping and day hiking with the family for some over night and longer solo hikes. I purchased a TT Sublite whic...

In GEAR » Trekking Poles vs. Walking Staff
December 15, 5:48am

Re: MLD Duomid as Basecamp
I have used two trekking poles with my smaller Solomid in a fairly good wind with Ti stakes. It held up very well. Of course I use my trekking poles during the day.

In GEAR » MLD Duomid as Basecamp
December 14, 5:07am

Re: Big Bend January 2011
I spent 10 days at Big Bend last March/April. I did many day hikes and a over night on the South Rim. Temps ranged from 100 degrees to about 37 day break on the Rio Grand. I carried 5L water on ...

In Gear Lists » Big Bend January 2011
December 10, 10:19am

Re: z poles
IMHO the difference in weight from 9oz to 6oz while important would not be the deciding factor. Strength for the intended use would be then cost. I went from heavy REI poles to GG LT4 and it was ...

In GEAR » Lightest Aluminum Fixed Length Trekking Pole?
December 08, 9:14am

Re: What trekking poles for TT Sublite
I have a Sublite, tyvek not Silnylon. I use Gossamer Gear LT4 poles. If you want to extend your current poles you can puchase aluminum tubes from Enco or rsearch carbon fiber tubes, I was looking...

In GEAR » What trekking poles for TT Sublite
December 07, 5:13am

Re: Re: "Best bang for the buck solo shelter"
I have a TT Sublite and MDL Solomid. If I had to use just one solo tent it would be a Sublite Sil. 24 ounces, bug proof, good rain and wind protection and plenty big enough for me and my gear plu...

In GEAR » Best bang for the buck solo shelter
December 06, 4:58am

Re: So tell me that I'm not stupid.
In my experience the decision making process has to be good and is key. You may still get into unforseen trouble like injury or a problem with mother nature. I think it most important to leave a ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » So tell me that I'm not stupid.
December 01, 5:11am

Re: Please help. Stumped on MB UL down inner
I have the MB inner down parka. I plan to use it just like you are asking with similiar clothing. I think the hood will keep me warmer than using a balaclava which I use when walking.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Please help. Stumped on MB UL down inner
November 30, 5:06am

Re: Trekking Pole Tents
I have a Tarptent Sublite about 19 ounces for summer use with bugs and MLD Solomid 15 ounces with pegs and polycro ground sheet for added protection when wet. Both use poles and are solo tents. I...

In GEAR » Trekking Pole Tents
November 30, 4:50am

All Reader Reviews by carl becker

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Inov8 RocLite 315
I did lots of research to replace my 30 year old heavy leather boots. I tried many different boots at REI before I ordered these and have found my hiking shoe. I went one size up from my street shoes...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
January 16, 8:14pm

Osprey Exos 34 Exos 34
I recently looked at packs for some over night hiking. I tried the REI Flash 30, Montbell versalite 50, SMD Swift, GG Miniposa and Osprey exos 34. At 23 pounds the Osprey is by far the most comforta...

In Backpacks - External Frame
January 16, 8:03pm