Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Benjamin Smith (bugbomb) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale South Texas
About Me My first "lightweight" trip involved me tossing gear and spare clothes out of my external framed pack the night before a trek in southern Colorado. Now, I experiment with and design (my wife calls it "twiddling") some simple, lightweight gear and carry loads that have become dangerously flirtatious with the SUL barrier.

In south Texas, if you're a hiker, biker, or runner, you don't have to deal with elevation or cold temps. However, you do have to like the feeling of sweaty silnylon next to your skin on a 100 degree, 90+% humidity day.
CitySan Antonio
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Benjamin Smith

Showing 181 - 190 of 361 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...37

Forum » Thread

Western Mountaineering Summerlite Sleeping Bag REVIEW
Companion forum thread to: Western Mountaineering Summerlite Sleeping Bag REVIEW

In Editor's Roundtable » Western Mountaineering Summerlite Sleeping Bag REVIEW
December 19, 10:48pm

A Case Study of Unsupported, Roadless, Long Distance Trekking: Part 1. Pack Weight, Distance, and Caloric Balance
Companion forum thread to: A Case Study of Unsupported, Roadless, Long Distance Trekking: Part 1. Pack Weight, Distance, and Caloric Balance

In Editor's Roundtable » A Case Study of Unsupported, Roadless, Long Distance Trekking: Part 1. Pack Weight, Distance, and Caloric Balance
December 19, 10:45pm

State of the Market Report: Bivy Sack Technologies, Products, and Applications (2006)
Companion forum thread to: State of the Market Report: Bivy Sack Technologies, Products, and Applications (2006)

In Editor's Roundtable » State of the Market Report: Bivy Sack Technologies, Products, and Applications (2006)
December 12, 11:22pm

CiloGear 60 Liter WorkSack Backpack REVIEW
Companion forum thread to: CiloGear 60 Liter WorkSack Backpack REVIEW

In Editor's Roundtable » CiloGear 60 Liter WorkSack Backpack REVIEW
December 12, 11:18pm

Princeton Tec Quad LED Headlamp REVIEW
Companion forum thread to: Princeton Tec Quad LED Headlamp REVIEW

In Editor's Roundtable » Princeton Tec Quad LED Headlamp REVIEW
December 05, 8:47pm

Make Your Own Gear: 5 Yards to SUL, Part 3 - Tarp
Companion forum thread to: Make Your Own Gear: 5 Yards to SUL, Part 3 - Tarp

In Editor's Roundtable » Make Your Own Gear: 5 Yards to SUL, Part 3 - Tarp
December 05, 8:44pm

Petzl e+LITE Headlamp REVIEW
Companion forum thread to: Petzl e+LITE Headlamp REVIEW

In Editor's Roundtable » Petzl e+LITE Headlamp REVIEW
December 05, 8:40pm

Re: edible gear
I agree! Without this site, would there have ever been a post that could have led someone to think that pj had "no sense of humor"?! Inconceivable!

In On the Web » new site for ultralight backpacking gear
December 04, 5:55pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: SUL and Enviornment
It is no secret that many of us enamored with not only UL/SUL hiking, but also the unburdened life philosophy that it complements, find ourselves with gear closets (rooms?) full of excess possessio...

In Philosophy & Technique » SUL and Enviornment
December 04, 10:11am

Re: high loft hats/balaclavas
Try: Jacks R Better Down Hood

In GEAR » high loft hats/balaclavas
November 28, 1:11pm

All Reader Reviews by Benjamin Smith

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Platypus Platy Reservoir
I use the 4L Big Zip as my in camp water supply and for carting extra water through dry stretches (here in south Texas, the whole hike is typically a "dry stretch"). While I find the cap ang...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
July 15, 12:10pm

Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad
I've slept on this pad and on the similar POE Max Thermo (both full-length). The BA is more comfortable for back sleeping, and the POE is more comfortable when side sleeping. There's something...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 7:42am

Backpacking Light FireLite 500 Titanium Cookpot
I waited until I received the updated lid before posting my review, so my rating applies to the pot with the new "GOOD" lid, not the old "BAD" lid. My old lid didn't seat flush...

In Cookware - Titanium
May 07, 7:44pm

MSR Titan Kettle
I used this item on my recent Sawtooths trip. It worked great - stable, tight lid, strong - but I have one dilemma. I am a boil-and-set type cooker. This means I'm only boiling a cup or two at a time,...

In Cookware - Titanium
September 06, 4:46pm

New Balance 872
Weight - 12.7 oz Size - 9 EE Color - screaming, bright, obnoxious yellow So after years of wearing ill-fitting shoes, I decided to go in and see what size my feet really were. I typically wear 10...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 24, 5:19pm