BPL Community Profile

Brian Lewis (brianle) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Pacific NW
About Me Thru-hiked the PCT in 2008 NOBO, the AT in 2010 NOBO, and the CDT in 2011 SOBO.
http://postholer.com/brianle
CityBellevue
StateWA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListBrian Lewis (Gadget) AT NOBO 2010 Gearlist --- late Feb start

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brian Lewis

Showing 181 - 190 of 684 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...69

Forum » Thread

generic REI
I've been happy with whatever light (no cotton) long sleeved hiking shirt that I find on sale at REI. Once I found one with a checked pattern, which I liked given that most hiking shirts are s...

In GEAR » Long sleeve shirt for SOBO PCT 2012 hike!
April 24, 1:27pm

A better question ...
IMO a better question isn't what to buy at a supermarket. With a little experience I think anyone can resupply nicely at a supermarket. The issue comes when you're resupplying at somethin...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » USA Supermarket resupply; what do you buy?
April 24, 1:16pm

smartphone app
Just on the off chance that you're also carrying a smartphone, the weight delta for my voice recorder is zero; there are free apps for this (at least Android, I would assume other too).

In GEAR » Ultralight voice recorder
April 17, 10:04am

tough to hit all the criteria
I suspect that the reason this got no feedback is that it's a bit tough to hit all the requested items together. The southern-most 700 miles or so are about all I'd be inclined to try in t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » got a month on the pct.. where's the best stretch of trail?
April 14, 7:53pm

Or Kearsarge pass
To be clear, sounds like you're going SOBO (south). I think there's nothing like what you're hoping for, short of throwing a lot of money at the problem or having some very good and...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » JMT Second half resupply
April 13, 11:44am

factoring in the wind
"If I was going to be sitting out strong winds on exposed plains without any wind break, ..." I bought a new tent for the CDT, driven initially by the same concern, but ultimately I co...

In GEAR » Looking for a 2-person shelter for the CDT
April 02, 11:33am

using shelters how much?
This time of year on my AT thru I was at about mile 450, so not exactly equivalent but similar --- I wonder how much you plan to sleep in shelters going forward? And whether on balance people are ...

In GEAR » Thruhiker looking for (ultra)light shelter recommendations
March 30, 12:34pm

+1 to Scott S
"I used Aqua Mira for the entire PCT and would absolutely do so again." Me too. I brought a gravity filter for the first 700 miles, thinking that water sources in dryer areas would ...

In GEAR » Help with Water Purification (PCT Thru-Hike)
March 29, 10:55am

okay to bring a spoon?
Tuna right out of the foil packet. Crackers or some sort of bread item for a starch. Those two make a meal I can eat quite often. Rehydrate powdered Idahoan brand potatos in a ziplock. Put it...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Stoveless, potless, sporkless, knifeless, assembly free, pre-packaged food ideas...
March 28, 2:36pm

re: GoLite Shoes?
I used Golites for two thru-hikes, as they have --- or at least had --- a wide toe box. For the CDT last year I looked for a new model of Golite that would work and found that pretty much all th...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » GoLite Shoes?
March 28, 2:30pm

All Reader Reviews by Brian Lewis

Showing 1 - 10 of 12 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Ursack Minor
The "Ursack Minor" is quite distinct from the traditional Ursack, in that it's not meant to be bear proof (or "resistant" or whatever). Instead, Ursack says it's "for...

In Miscellaneous Products
August 10, 9:05am

Golite Force
I use Golite shoes because the toe-box is shaped a lot more like the front of an actual human foot. More specifically, most trail runners or other shoes give me problems due to bunionettes (little to...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 10, 8:45am

Montbell Thermawrap jacket
For 3-season backpacking, my thermawrap jacket is my sole insulation layer, coupled in some limited cases with a thermawrap vest. It's just a fantastic piece of clothing in terms of both weight ...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
August 10, 8:23am

Montbell Thermawrap Vest
I have a size medium Thermawrap jacket and a size large Thermawrap vest; I probably should have reversed those to be able to layer the vest under the jacket rather than over, but it actually works fin...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
August 10, 8:15am

Thermarest Neo-Air
Like Dylan Carlson, I also used a Neo-Air (size regular for me) on a thru-hike. My thru-hike was of the Appalachian Trail, starting in late February (2010), so a lot of snow and cold weather in the f...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
August 10, 8:02am

REI REI Peak UL Compact Hiking Poles
I too had something over 3000 miles on my pair --- the majority of that thru-hiking the PCT in 2008 plus a variety of much shorter trips. I started my AT thru-hike with them (early in 2010), but just...

In Trekking Poles
August 10, 7:36am

Memory-Map Navigator
This is actually a comparison of two product alternatives for putting topographic software on a Windows Mobile platform smartphone with a true GPS. The 4/5 rating is for one of those, Memory-Map Navi...

In Navigation Gear & Accessories
September 22, 9:55pm

Golite Versa Force
Let me start by saying that my rating of '4' is tentative until I've done more miles in these. But as I found nothing useful in searching for reviews of currently-available Golite footwe...

August 10, 12:25pm

ULA Axis Crampon
I'm hoping to thru-hike the PCT next year, and one of many equipment issues for me was the question of whether to use crampons or not in the Sierras. I also do day hikes in "shoulder" s...

April 12, 12:13pm

Western Mountaineering SummerLite
I agree --- the summerlite is excellent. I frankly don't trust any individual evaluation of a sleeping bag temperature rating (32F in this case); so many things affect this, including not only th...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
March 21, 10:59am