BPL Community Profile

Laurence Beck (beckla) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I was born in Kansas City,MO. but raised in Riverside,CA before moving to Orange County, CA in 1989. I developed a love for backpacking in the Boy Scouts as a kid so, in 2004, I joined a local Hiking and Backpacking Club. My lightweight testimony has been an evolving story. I started out in 2004 with a base weight around 40 lbs, made a transitional reduction to 30 lbs and then to 25 lbs over the last couple of years. Now, with the help of BPL forums, I am down to about 14 1/2 lbs including a bear canister.
CitySan Juan Capistrano
StateCalifornia
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListMar 2011 - Stuck at 15-16 lbs

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Laurence Beck

Showing 181 - 190 of 245 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Forum » Thread

I want to hear the Grizzly stories
Tad, I want to hear the Grizzly stories... Larry

In GEAR » Does bear spray work with black bears and what brand?
September 25, 4:44pm

30 degree bag plus Montbell Down Inner parka and pants
I recently completed the southern half of the JMT. On several days at elevation there was frost on the ground. I took a chance with a run of the mill 30 deg bag but I took Montbell Down Inners as i...

In GEAR » Good summer JMT sleeping bag?
September 25, 2:52pm

31g is 1.09 oz to us yanks...
Very cool design...plus it holds that bottle of wine very nicely! So you sewed the straps in at the silnylon seam. That seems like a good idea.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Summit pack?
September 23, 4:36pm

1oz silnylon stuff sack with straps weighs 2-3 oz all total
The GG 1oz pack looks cool but it may be a little over my head in the sewing department. I purchased a couple of straps and a 1oz silnylon 20L stuff sack. I think if I can somehow sew or attach the...

September 23, 9:06am

MYOG looks interesting
All of these options look great but the "Make Your Own" UL Daypack seems interesting.

September 17, 11:59am

Z-Packs look very cool
Christopher, these Zpacks look very cool. The guy says he's on the Continental Divide Trail but will be back in December. http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/zero.shtml The smaller packs (100...

September 16, 4:49pm

I have a Dana Designs Kompressor (10oz)
I have a Dana Designs Kompressor (10oz). I believe Marmot now carries this design. I did not take this pack along because to avoid the added 10oz for the 100 mile trek. I was actually wondering...

September 16, 3:58pm

Summit pack?
I recently hiked from Bishop, CA's South Lake to Mt. Whitney on the John Muir Trail. My highest pack weight including 8 days of food and 2 liters of water was about 35lbs. I know this is an exc...

September 16, 2:34pm

Montbell Down Inners
Aaron, I am also trying to lighten my load by switching to a lighter 30 degree bag for summer Sierra treks. The summer temps can easily drop below freezing at high elevation during the summer so I ...

In GEAR » 20 degree bag vs. 30 degree bag for 3 season use
August 18, 12:17pm

Yum!
Yum! Are there any royalty charges?

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » potential health risks with using "hollow fiber" microfilter products
August 14, 3:45pm

All Reader Reviews by Laurence Beck

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1
I purchased the Big Agnes SL1 three years ago and I have spent at least 30 nights in it. I am only 6 ft tall so the length is actually perfect for me. The real beauty of this tent is that it is light ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
September 28, 8:27pm

Klearwater Klearwater
I have been using KlearWater for about 3-4 years and I love it. I refrigerate it while not in use and I have never had to throw out a bottle. My favorite feature is the ability to treat a larger quant...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
April 27, 12:08pm

National Geographic TOPO! Outdoor Recreation Mapping Software - California
I used Nat. Geographic's TOPO California to plan a John Muir Trail hike last summer (06). It was great at showing profiles and I loaded waypoints to my Garmin GPSMAP 60C. The one slight ptoblem is...

In Navigation Gear & Accessories
February 07, 5:18pm