BPL Community Profile

Ben Crowell (bcrowell) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Ben Crowell has not added a biography yet.
CityFullerton
StateCA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ben Crowell

Showing 181 - 190 of 329 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...33

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: disposable lighters with visible butane level?
"Colibri - $90 for what is simply a Bic lighter tarted up for the effluent wanna-bes and their fashion market. You have been had. (Sorry, but ...)" Yeah, I know, I know.

In Philosophy & Technique » disposable lighters with visible butane level?
July 06, 6:51pm

Re: BICs
"I always just shine my headlamp directly behind it to see fuel level." Ah, great trick, Walter -- never would have occurred to me! It seems to work on my Bic, but not on my smaller Scri...

July 06, 4:44pm

disposable lighters with visible butane level?
I was snow-camping last week on Mt. Shasta, and I got a chance to test three different fire-starters side by side at dawn at 10,000 ft. I had an expensive, heavy metal lighter that was advertised a...

July 06, 4:16pm

Re: Sykes Hot Springs and Ventana trail conditions
@Amy: Aha!!!! Thanks for letting me know about the Ventana Wilderness Alliance and their web site. If I'd known about it a few months ago, it would have saved me and my brother a ton of trouble...

In Post-Trip Reports » Sykes Hot Springs Backpack
July 06, 3:13pm

mouthparts; dropping off of trees
"Contrary to popular belief, it is not necessary to worry about leaving the mouth parts of the tick in the skin." This is good to know. Would have saved me from making a trip to the doct...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lyme Disease: Challenging Old Stereotypes
July 06, 1:54pm

Re: Re: no DEET in canister
"Yeah, no DEET for me. If it dissolves ABS... I don't want to put it on my skin :-)" I would rub plutonium paste or battery acid on my skin if it would keep the bugs off.

In GEAR » Hanging Bear Canisters
July 06, 11:03am

no DEET in canister
BTW, don't put DEET inside your bear canister. It acts as a solvent on them. (A Garcia is ABS resin. A Bearvault is polycarbonate. Both of them get dissolved by DEET.)

July 06, 9:33am

Re: Re: Hanging Bear Canisters
Sarah wrote: "You can leave it in camp though." To me, the advantage of putting it at least 100 ft away from camp is that I know I won't lose sleep if a bear decides to spend a few h...

July 06, 8:53am

trash bag
+1 Nick's general description. I'd say that rain at that time of year is an unlikely possibility that you should nevertheless have a plan for handling. I've been backpacking in the s...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » JMT weather
July 06, 8:39am

water
@Jaap: Looks pretty good to me! I wish I'd been that hip to the lightweight style the first time I went backpacking! I'd get rid of the useless, heavy trekking poles, but that's a ma...

In Gear Lists » First timer would like some comments
July 06, 8:25am

All Reader Reviews by Ben Crowell

Ben Crowell has posted no reviews.