BPL Community Profile

Paul Wagner (balzaccom) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Wine Country
About Me Decades of hiking and backpacking in the Sierra...and beyond. Check out our website for fun, stories, trip reports, photos and philosophy!
CityNapa
StateCA
My Website URLhttps://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Paul Wagner

Showing 181 - 190 of 399 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...40

Forum » Thread

JMT
Most people say that one of the real highlights of the JMT is from Tuolumne Meadows through Lyell Canyon to Thousand island lake...and out at Agnew Meadows. We certainly thought it was wonderful. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Family of Five on the John Muir Trail - Segments?
April 30, 3:04pm

Wine based trail bars...the next big thing?
Because we're based in the Napa Valley, things like this catch our attention. Can you imagine your next hike into the Sierra; your pack full of bars made from wine grape seeds? Gena ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Wine based trail bars...the next big thing?
April 29, 11:54am

Bears vs. driving to the trailhead
Why do backpacking magazines spend so much time talking about bears, and no time talking about the most dangerous thing we ever do on a backpacking trip--which is drive to the trailhead? It'...

In On the Web » Headline: "Why does America lose its head over 'terror' but ignore its daily gun deaths?"
April 22, 1:01pm

easy to make and easy to eat
I vote for the MRE concept, too. Why take all that cooking equipment for just one meal? And you can afford the weight. Take fruit. Take a deli sandwich. Take chips and salsa. take a beer! ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Tasty food for 1 night / 20 miles?
April 22, 12:54pm

Emigrant
Emigrant Wilderness has much of the same appeal ( and bare granite ) of Yosemite, but at lower elevations, so that might be a good choice for you!

In Pre-Trip Planning » Sierra weekend trips?
April 15, 11:00pm

backpackthesierra
Thanks Elizabeth! yes, we have quite a few hikes on our website. And this year, some of the others are also going to be open earlier than usual. Since we live in wine country as well, we&#...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Sierra weekend trips?
April 15, 6:32pm

Emmigrant Wilderness
If your goal is a through-hike, it's not going to make a huge difference between trailhead---in 150 miles, the first three don't really matter much. But that said, Why not start at Sono...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Easy, scenic trail suggestions for a newbie
April 02, 5:08pm

Two thoughts
1. I didn't do a through hike, but I did drop out of my university and spend five years living in Europe. It was considerably more educational than my years in school (I never did get a degree...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Anyone ever regret a thru hike??
March 26, 9:30pm

oh yeah
I take a very lightweight underlayer that is ONLY for sleeping. And a pair of very lightweight pj bottoms as well. The underlayer also gets used from time to time as a "hand around in cam...

In Philosophy & Technique » Separate sleeping clothes - yeah or nay
March 25, 3:13pm

Homeless campsites---how are they different from wilderness campsites?
Some major construction projects in our area got us thinking about the homeless in our town. In a way, these folks are backpackers, too, albeit in an urban environment. And so we started think...

In Philosophy & Technique » Homeless campsites---how are they different from wilderness campsites?
March 21, 10:13am

All Reader Reviews by Paul Wagner

Paul Wagner has posted no reviews.