Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Gary Dunckel (Zia-Grill-Guy) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Boulder
About Me Gary Dunckel has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Gary Dunckel

Showing 181 - 190 of 1677 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...168

Forum » Thread

re:...do you really need to puncture it?
My recycling center boys get kinda grumpy if they aren't punctured first. I think I read where you don't want to use a galvanized nail to poke the holes, as they might cause a spark. Not go...

In Philosophy & Technique » What Do You Do with Almost-Empty Fuel Canisters?
April 01, 10:51am

...Stand way back, take video,...
And say, "Hey, Bubba, watch this!"

In Philosophy & Technique » What Do You Do with Almost-Empty Fuel Canisters?
March 31, 3:47pm

Blow off the upper loop
I would forget the whole upper loop, for Mammoth is about the only thing worthwhile. Too many crowds there for me, but I usually stop there when passing through, just to see my buddy who is the bac...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Day hikes Yellowstone
March 31, 2:02pm

re: HMG Southwest
Good luck to you with the trade, Matt. It's a great pack.

In Gear Swap » Want to Swap: HMG 3400 Medium for Lrg.
March 28, 8:16pm

Windrider or Southwest?
Matt, it can be either a Windrider or a Southwest, but not a Windrider Southwest. The Windrider has mesh pockets, whereas the Southwest has fabric ones. I'm not trying to be picky here, but I h...

In Gear Swap » Want to Swap: HMG 3400 Medium for Lrg.
March 28, 4:36pm

re: Ike and Doug’s Excellent Adventure
Damn, Doug, you sure do write a great story. I think it's probably more fun to read about it than to actually have been there. Something about hitch hiking on a freeway during a blizzard... ...

In Post-Trip Reports » We’ll be fine - Ike and Doug’s Excellent Adventure in the U. P.
March 28, 6:04am

re: Scheduling Yellowstone
As luke mentioned, YNP is a huge Park, and driving it eats up a lot of time due to the traffic, cars stopping to look at a bison, etc. With just 3 nights in the Park, I think your time would best b...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Day hikes Yellowstone
March 23, 5:01pm

Wow, indeed
Erick, that was a great route, and rather ambitious. You caught many of GNP's greatest hits in one fell swoop. I have two questions: (1) After Swiftcurrent pass to Granite Park, did you des...

In Post-Trip Reports » Glacier National Park
March 21, 4:26pm

... Stairways of San Francisco
Amy, that goes down as the most unique BPL trip report ever. I applaud your creativity. Thanks for reaffirming that SF is perhaps the planet's funkiest city.

In Post-Trip Reports » Stairways of San Francisco - 568 Stairways in 4 Days
March 21, 10:55am

re: sub-three-pound tent, <$150
I have a lonely Big Agnes SL-1 that was used 7 nights in NP campgrounds back in 2006, and never since. It is clean, with just a couple of bird crap stains that wouldn't quite wash out completel...

In Gear Swap » WTB Lightweight tent for $150 or less
March 16, 4:16pm

All Reader Reviews by Gary Dunckel

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
Mountain House's Pro Pack meal bags fit perfectly in the PCS cup. After adding the boiling water to the bag, stirring it up, and resealing it, you can empty the remaining water from the PCS, drop ...

In Stoves - Canister
March 18, 11:41am

Hilleberg Akto
I agree that the Akto is a very strong and high quality 4-season solo tent. But I must add an anecdote to illustrate the what I feel is the tent's main weakness. In early October of '06 we wer...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
November 28, 9:08am

Salomon Tech Amhibian
What the previous posts have neglected to mention is that the Amphib is perhaps the lightest (24 ounces/pair)"running shoe" that can be taken on a standard extended backpack trip (not fast packing) fo...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
October 18, 7:45pm