BPL Community Profile

Will Rietveld (WilliWabbit) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southwest Colorado
About Me Will Rietveld Ph.D, Senior Editor for Gear and Apparel, joined the BPL staff in April 2004. In his former career, Will was a research scientist, project manager, and R&D program administrator. Now retired, he lives in southern Colorado where he takes up a new career of backpacking year-round in the mountains and canyon country of the Southwest. During the summer months Will and his wife Janet are volunteer wilderness rangers in the Weminuche Wilderness. He has been a lightweight backpacker for 52 years and an ultralight backpacker for 13 years.
CityDurango
StateColorado
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://home.bresnan.net/~swultralight/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Will Rietveld

Showing 181 - 190 of 291 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Forum » Thread

Westcomb Specter LT
Hi Everyone. Glad you like the rainwear roundup. Its hard to make something like this comprehensive, so I focused on only the lightest and our favorites. The Westcomb Spector LT is 11.2 ounces, but...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Rainwear 2008: Current Favorites, New Introductions, and New Technologies (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008)
August 13, 7:09pm

Cabela's Rainy River
Hi Eric and James. Thanks for pointing out the Cabela's Rainy River Jacket. Sounds like a screaming deal; is its weight less than 8 ounces? I want to say again that this article is not mean...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Rainwear 2008: Current Favorites, New Introductions, and New Technologies (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008)
August 13, 6:47am

MSR Skinny Tent
Hi Franco, we saw the Skinny at the Cascade Designs booth yesterday. It's scheduled for spring introduction in the US. Very nice tent. Will

In Editor's Roundtable » Introduction to Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008
August 09, 11:20pm

Seam Sealing The One
I would say that the top ridgeline seam is the most important. That's where I had a little leakage after seam sealing it once, so I sealed it again to make sure. Also the lower seam on the side...

In Editor's Roundtable » Gossamer Gear The One Shelter REVIEW
June 22, 1:50pm

G4 is Sold
Pack is sold. Thanks Chris!

In Gear Swap » FS: Gossamer Gear G4 Pack, Size L
June 22, 1:39pm

FS: Gossamer Gear G4 Pack, Size L
Pack is in good condition, a few snags in the mesh pockets and the bottom has 3 small holes from abrasion which I will get my wife to sew before the pack is shipped. Still lots of life left in the ...

In Gear Swap » FS: Gossamer Gear G4 Pack, Size L
June 18, 4:38pm

FS: GoLite Breeze Pack, Size L
This pack is made of very durable Dyneema Gridstop fabric. The body is in very good condition, but the outside mesh pockets have 5 places where the mesh has been repaired. I added a lightweight ste...

In Gear Swap » FS: GoLite Breeze Pack, Size L
June 18, 4:21pm

The One - hiker length
Hi Mitchell. I would say that your 6'3" height is at the limit. You would have to push the foot of your sleeping bag against one end to maximize headroom at the other. That would give you ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Gossamer Gear The One Shelter REVIEW
June 18, 4:10pm

UL Rain Chaps
Another option is to get a pair of Tyvek pants and cut the legs off. The whole pant is only about 2.5 oz, and they're breathable.

In Gear Swap » WTB Rain Chaps
May 30, 6:09pm

OR Endeavor Mitt in Extended Rain
Hi Jean. I can't say for sure, but I would speculate that they would stay dry in extended rain. On four occasions this past winter, I wore the Endeavor Mitt for packing snow to build igloos, an...

In Editor's Roundtable » Outdoor Research Endeavor Mitt SPOTLITE REVIEW
May 16, 7:12am

All Reader Reviews by Will Rietveld

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Integral Designs eVENT Shortie Gaiters
I have used these gaiters a lot and really like them. I don't mind their zipperless/Velcroless design, its lighter and simpler. I have size L. For me, they fit very well over mid or full height boo...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 23, 8:09am

Six Moon Designs Comet
The new Comet backpack has removeable aluminum stays which allow it to be used as either a frameless or internal frame pack. Without stays it weighs 22 oz and with stays it weighs 27 oz. The Comet ...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 03, 7:50pm

Lighten Up! by Don Ladigin
I just got this book and its superb! As I paged through the book, I kept saying yes, right on, perfect, exactly! Don presents the UL gospel clearly and concisely, and the illustrations by Mike Clellan...

In Books and Media
August 03, 7:36pm

Gossamer Gear Fire-fly
The Fire-fly is a real lightweight stove made by mo-go-gear and sold by Gossamer Gear. The whole kit weighs 1.5 ounces and includes the burner, pot stand, windscreen, and heat reflector. The open j...

In Stoves - Alcohol
August 03, 7:24pm