BPL Community Profile

Stuart R (Scunnered) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Scotland
About Me "When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely in your thoughts advanced to the state of science, whatever the matter may be."
Sir William Thomson (Lord Kelvin) 1883

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Stuart R

Showing 181 - 190 of 631 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...64

Forum » Thread

Re: Scary creatures in the night...
I remember several years ago being kept awake by the sound of a snipe drumming directly overhead. It's a really eeire noise at night if you have not heard it before. https://soundcloud.com/hu...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Best wildlife encounters?
February 28, 6:04am

Re: Re: Re: Standardized Boil Time ?
The difficulty with stove testing is that there are so many possible variables involved. There is not even a consensus about what the best thing to measure is: time to boil or amount of fuel requir...

In GEAR » Standardized Boil Time ?
February 22, 8:57am

Bug names
Translation required please: gits and shiggles are what?

In Philosophy & Technique » Best way to survive bug season?
February 19, 2:21pm

Ti Pot Lid
Ti pot lid - good idea! I don't have any Ti pots so didn't think of that. UK flower - definitely not good for making bread :-) Once you have a remote canister stove, there are other wei...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Lighter weight heat diffuser for Outback Oven
February 19, 1:57pm

Re: Nether test very good then
By using n-butane, Jim eliminated one of the major variables in stove testing: the fuel. With a blended fuel, not only are you not certain of the precise percentages when the canster is new, but th...

In GEAR » Soto Microregulator vs. Monatauk Gnat in Cold Wx
February 18, 1:31pm

Re: So what does the pressure regulator do?
What they fail to add is "up to the point that the canister pressure drops below the set pressure of the pressure regulator." Mark, I think you're spot on. In fact the Soto regulator...

In GEAR » Soto Microregulator vs. Monatauk Gnat in Cold Wx
February 18, 2:20am

Re: Paint Can Lid
Do you think the raised rim of the paint can lid is doing the same thing? Yes, the raised rim creates an airspace between the lid and the pot and this airspace limits the heat conducted to the pot...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Lighter weight heat diffuser for Outback Oven
February 17, 10:12am

Re: Lighter weight heat diffuser for Outback Oven
Lid from a paint tin. Read my article: www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ul_baking.html

February 16, 5:10am

Re: have one to sell
I might be interested if the cost of shipping to the UK is not prohibitive. Send me a PM (or enable PMs in your profile).

In Gear Swap » WTB: Evernew Ultralight .9L pot
February 13, 1:17pm

Re: Five weeks in Scotland
The weather here is usually dominated by low pressure systems that come in off the Atlantic. Usually they track directly over or to the north, so the wind veers from SW to NW as the low passes over...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Five weeks in Scotland
February 11, 6:37am

All Reader Reviews by Stuart R

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Coleman Exponent Non-stick Cook Kit
At first glance this looks like just another anodised aluminium cook set, but on closer inspection you will find that these pots have a real standout feature. There is a spiral groove machined or stam...

In Cookware - Other
March 29, 12:43pm