BPL Community Profile

Rex Sanders (Rex) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central California Coast
About Me Started backpacking with the Boy Scouts in the 1960s, which should have cured me, but friends intervened. Failed PCT thru-hikes in 1976, 1980, and other adventures (whitewater rafting 1987-present) put backpacking on hold for a while.

In 1998 I read Jardine's PCT book and saw the light. I'm not super- ultra- anything, my base weight is about 13 pounds. But I'm back on the trails again.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rex Sanders

Showing 181 - 190 of 493 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...50

Forum » Thread

Re: Sleeping with mice
One night I was sleeping under a tarp in a well-abused camp site in Idaho. Mice running over my face looking for scraps of food woke me up several times before I figured out what was going on. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Safety of sleeping on the ground with no critter protection
December 29, 8:24am

Ticks bad, protection good
Tick got into my tarp shelter one night and bit me in the chest as I slept. Woke up and scratched it off before I was awake enough to think it through. About 30 hours later I had to cut the trip s...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Safety of sleeping on the ground with no critter protection
December 27, 10:36pm

Brief review of inReach SE on backpacker.com
http://www.backpacker.com/fall-gear-guide-2013-gear-review-delorme-inreach-se-two-way-messenger/gear/17966 Nothing new except: We also posted dozens of social media messages; Facebook and Twi...

In GEAR » DeLorme inReach SE announced, ships mid to late April
December 23, 9:39am

Hydroskins too thin
Don't condemn all neoprene socks because Hydroskins aren't warm enough. Did you really expect a miracle from 0.5 mm of insulation? I routinely wear 3 mm NRS neoprene socks without liners...

In GEAR » Trail Runners and Snow
December 23, 12:37am

PF: don't worry
I've had plantar fasciitis for about 25 years, and I wear orthotics routinely. If your shoes work with your orthotics, and you aren't having trouble with your shorter activities, you sho...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bataan March New Mexico advice
December 17, 10:05am

Trim a standard flare?
Why not cut off part of a standard flare? $7 for a three-pack at Walmart, and you could customize weight versus burn time. -- Rex

In GEAR » A 3.4oz fire starting insurance policy
December 17, 9:45am

Might not make that third beer ...
http://www.youtube.com/embed/-lFy7SOW6cE Looking at all the steps involved, including precise timing, I don't think I'd be able to make that third beer correctly! -- Rex

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Beer concentrate lets you take brews on an outdoor adventure
December 15, 1:07pm

Wetsuits will last a long time
I used my first wetsuit about 15 days per year for about 15 years before I bought a new one, because I "outgrew" the old one. The new one is over 10 years old and still works fine. Rin...

In Packrafting » Wetsuit question
December 06, 6:04pm

LiteTrail: No more PossumDown
The following items are NO LONGER STOCKED at this time (could change). ... PossumDown Gloves and Socks along with a long list of other items. http://litetrail.com/shop/stock-status -- Rex

In GEAR » PossumDown alert
December 04, 10:34pm

Re: Emergency Flight Insurance?
Some medical insurance plans will cover "medically necessary" emergency flights. Might be worth checking your plan details, or asking your insurance agent. Some medical flight services...

In Other Activities » Emergency Flight Insurance?
December 03, 11:19pm

All Reader Reviews by Rex Sanders

Rex Sanders has posted no reviews.