BPL Community Profile

Paul Magnanti (PaulMags) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale People's Republic of Boulder
About Me I like to hike, backpack, camp and backcountry ski every so often...
CityBoulder
StateCO
My Website URLhttp://www.pmags.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Paul Magnanti

Showing 181 - 190 of 849 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...85

Forum » Thread

Trans ADK
I looked at the Trans ADK as possible trip this year (alas..I may family obligations that are preventing it. Sigh..). It looks like it would be a KILLER fall hike.

In Pre-Trip Planning » 150-250 Mile Trails in US?
March 05, 12:39pm

cold food
I'll be lazy and just reference an article I wrote. :) It has some recipe ideas towards the bottom. http://www.pmags.com/going-stoveless-cold-food-for-thought

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » No-cook/Stoveless/soaking method for PCT Thru.
March 05, 9:26am

Gear
There is a point of diminishing returns with buying new gear. For example, I use a silnylon tarp. Standard 8x10. 13 oz. Call it just under a lb with stakes and rope. I could buy a cuben fiber...

In GEAR » Can't stop changing gear?
March 05, 9:25am

darn lucky
I must confess, I sometimes feel like I don't get out as much. The yearning for the long journey never goes away. As a person in early middle age (I hit 40 in two months), there are other...

In Post-Trip Reports » Winter backpacking in Rocky Mountain National Park
March 04, 10:00am

depends...
Time of the year, type of trip, what I feel like doing and so on. If I am hiking from dawn to sunset, I simply sleep. On a trip with less daylight and some time in camp? Some tea is brewed up...

In Philosophy & Technique » How Do You Occupy Self during Evening/Downtime when Solo?
March 04, 6:42am

route
Thanks for the kind words. We went to Fern Lake and back via an off trail route. We then went to the Bierstadt Lake junction and back.

March 04, 6:22am

Winter backpacking in Rocky Mountain National Park
A weekend where I again assisted with a winter backpacking course. Winter backpacking is, at first glance, not really that different from three-season backpacking. You still need your usu...

March 03, 9:51pm

white gas
I've had good luck with my MSR Whisperlite and a Simmerlite (a gift). White gas is a bit of "voodoo magic" in the sense that is it not as intuitive as a remote canister stove. In...

In GEAR » Cold weather cooking - stove choices
March 03, 12:11pm

Insightful!
WEll Dave, thanks as always for your insightful commentary! I'd rather think of the wonderful time spent with friends, the beautiful scenery and at less than $30 a night, it was rather affor...

In Post-Trip Reports » Ski to the Divide – Skinner Hut
February 27, 1:45pm

Five day trips
Thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail is essentially one long trip broken into a series of 3-5 days between resupplies. While a longer hike with resupply is extremely helpful for dialing in gear and...

In Editor's Roundtable » Beyond Our Boundaries: Episode 1
February 27, 6:47am

All Reader Reviews by Paul Magnanti

Paul Magnanti has posted no reviews.