Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John McAlpine (HairlessApe) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale PNW
About Me I now have my base weight down to 12 pounds. I'm fine with that. Any lighter seems to make for a less comfortable trip. Just turned 50 and looking forward to some epic thru-hikes.
CitySeattle
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John McAlpine

Showing 181 - 190 of 456 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...46

Forum » Thread

Good Job Chris
We should be congratulating Chris and his great craftsmanship. Both the chair and front door are exceptional.

In GEAR » Cricket door, camp stool, just because....
June 07, 12:56pm

The REI Sushkan Worries Me
Travis, I had the REI eVent Sushkun for three seasons. On the third season the jacket started to wet out on me. I would wash it and retreat ir, but it just would continue to wet out. I now own ...

In GEAR » Technical Shell (Denali, Rainier, 14'ers)
June 07, 8:55am

Awesome Chair
I love the chair. At 48 years of age I do get tired of having to sit on the ground. So if the Bear Line breaks does the chair also break? Meaning.... do the three carbon legs punch through the c...

In GEAR » Cricket door, camp stool, just because....
June 07, 8:48am

Pictures Brad?
I also have the Exos 58 and absolutely love the pack. Sure it would be nice to lighten it, but that's the same with all gear. Brad....can we see pictures?

In Make Your Own Gear » Modified Osprey Exos 46?
May 31, 2:04pm

Feathered Friends Daybreak Jacket
IMHO I'd pick up the Daybreak Jacket over the Montbell UL Down Inner Jacket. It weighs a tad more, but you get 3.1 oz fill of 850 down for $199. That's a full ounce more. That adds a lot...

In GEAR » Montbell UL Down Inner Jacket
May 26, 8:39am

Re: Re: That is not fair
Ken..... I typically eat a dehydrated meal for 2. Those are around 600 calories before I hit the tent. Greg....I will PM you. I know I have a high metabolism. I seem to be able to eat whate...

In GEAR » Who Sleeps cold
May 24, 8:12am

That is not fair
Robert.....that is not fair. I own the Golite Ultra 20 and I'm cold in that when it's 40, and thats with clothing. What is wrong with me? I'm having Javen at Stateless Society make m...

May 23, 9:38pm

I'm a Cold Freak
If I know it's going to get down to 30F at night I will bring my 0 degree bag. Even with that I'll be wearing full Cap 3 thermo's, pants and down jacket. Oh...and a hat. I'll sti...

May 23, 2:05pm

GONE in 5 minutes - Free 2XL in Pink
I ordered a pair of 2XL and they came in Pink. Free for the first person to PM me. I'll mail them here from work today. Make sure to put on this site that you PM'd me.

In Gear Deals » 3 oz neoprene camp/kayak/rafting shoes (group purchase to mitigate shipping?)
May 23, 8:25am

Mark Ries - Cuben Lightheart
Mark, I do get some condensation like all tents do here in the NW. When I get around to it I'll take pictures of my Lightheart Cuben Solo and post pictures similar to this post. FYI....I s...

In GEAR » Deciding between BearPaw Cub Den 1.5, Zpacks Hexamid (I chose Cub Den, here are the pics and initial setup)
May 20, 9:53am

All Reader Reviews by John McAlpine

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

LightHeart Gear Cuben Solo W/Awning
I picked up this tent for several reasons. I wanted a light tent; I wanted it to be waterproof right out of the bag; I wanted room inside for me and all my gear; I wanted a dry entry; I wanted to use...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
October 18, 12:09pm

Kahtoola Microspikes Microspikes
I've been using these little brother crampons over the winter and have found them to be perfect. I've used them on non-glacier snow fields up to 12,200 feet and they have not failed once. The...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 02, 2:43pm

Osprey Exos 58
I'm 47 and been hiking on and off for 35 years. I've gone through many packs and thought it was time to try a lighter pack. Sure this pack isnt ultra light, but have you tried those things?....

In Backpacks - External Frame
July 16, 10:59am