BPL Community Profile

John McAlpine (HairlessApe) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale PNW
About Me I now have my base weight down to 12 pounds. I'm fine with that. Any lighter seems to make for a less comfortable trip. Just turned 50 and looking forward to some epic thru-hikes.
CitySeattle
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John McAlpine

Showing 181 - 190 of 430 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...43

Forum » Thread

I'll have to find my MSR and.....
put it on PIF. I see it now and then when I'm digging through my stuff. I didn't realize people wanted it.

In Gear Swap » MSR Whisperlite Stove with 22oz Bottle
March 29, 4:23pm

Writing Classes - why would I need those?
I knew I should've taken a writing class in College...... lots of stories but poor at putting them down on paper.... Will we be able to read the top three?

In Gear Deals » Contest & Sponsored Giveaway!
March 29, 3:27pm

Thanks Brian
I do use a vapor barrier when I'm in colder temps. When I'm snow caving I'll also be in my bivy. I currently have a +20 F Feathered Friends bag that I really like. The feathers l...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Looking for New Cold Weather Down Bag
March 24, 11:00am

Dimensions not mentioned on Rab site
The Rab site doesn't mention the dimensions of the bag. It does state what Nicholas has mentioned....32F range.

In Gear Deals » Rab Sleeping Bag on SAC
March 23, 12:21pm

Thank you
I really appreciate all your input. Buying a new bag is never an easy decision. I'm willing to pay up to the $750 price for a good bag. You'd be surprised at how that REI bag is approxim...

March 23, 11:39am

Looking for New Cold Weather Down Bag
I thought I'd throw this question at the Mountaineers.... I have an old (25 year old) 650 fill REI bag that's rated at -20F. It's seen better days and I'd like to replace it. I&#...

March 22, 9:59am

Good Job Rakesh
That was very nice of you to give your boots to one of the Kilimanjaro porters. I'm sure he really appreciated your kindness. And 'thumbs up' for heading to Tanzania to climb Kili.......

In Gear Deals » REI 20% coupon coming March 18th...
March 18, 12:26pm

30 bars for me
I just picked up 30 bars for myself. I went with a mix of chocolate and PB. At 2.3 ounce for those calories......great deal. THANKS

In Gear Deals » Honey Stinger 20g Protein Bars
March 17, 8:57am

Rail Rider Men's Madison River Shirt with Insect Shield
Check out the Rail Riders Men's Madison River Shirt with Insect Shield "Beat the heat and bugs with this sun-blocking, well-ventilated and stylish shirt" http://www.railriders.c...

In GEAR » Suggest me some UL mosquito proof shirt with long sleeves
March 03, 8:27am

Stay away from the FF Hyperion Jacket
Just a word of warning on lengths. I own the Feathered Friends Hyperion Jacket and it's to short. I definately get drafts up my back. It's a very well made jacket, but to short. I'm...

In GEAR » longer down jacket
February 28, 9:22am

All Reader Reviews by John McAlpine

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

LightHeart Gear Cuben Solo W/Awning
I picked up this tent for several reasons. I wanted a light tent; I wanted it to be waterproof right out of the bag; I wanted room inside for me and all my gear; I wanted a dry entry; I wanted to use...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
October 18, 12:09pm

Kahtoola Microspikes Microspikes
I've been using these little brother crampons over the winter and have found them to be perfect. I've used them on non-glacier snow fields up to 12,200 feet and they have not failed once. The...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 02, 2:43pm

Osprey Exos 58
I'm 47 and been hiking on and off for 35 years. I've gone through many packs and thought it was time to try a lighter pack. Sure this pack isnt ultra light, but have you tried those things?....

In Backpacks - External Frame
July 16, 10:59am