Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 181 - 190 of 2857 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...286

Forum » Thread

Re: vacuum bag sealer
There are some things I ALWAYS have in my PFD. And I ALWAYS wear my PFD in an open boat. Knife, cordage, VHF, Powerbar, mini Bic, firestarter, sometimes a map. The first three are waterproof and...

In GEAR » vacuum bag sealer
January 12, 3:30pm

What about males who accompany their adventurous wives?
BPL's own Erin McKittrick and her husband Hig do some pretty amazing expeditions: Washington State to the Aleutian Islands all human-powered (4,000 off-trail miles in a year). 800 miles last y...

In Philosophy & Technique » Why do male adventurers not take their female partners along?
January 12, 10:08am

Re: All black backpacks
Getting hot is nice when the pack is wet from rain or morning dew. Less so, when you've got meltable stuff inside. The most I've overheated a pack was a Spring climb to 14,000 and between...

In GEAR » All black backpacks
January 12, 9:01am

Re: Cookie tins for desert food storage
1) yes, it may attract rodents. 2) they won't be able to get into it. 3) those tins are often available at thrift stores for about $1, saving you from buying 2 gallons of "gourmet" ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Cookie tins for desert food storage
January 11, 9:51pm

Re: Vegan food on the go
Lizz, I was using these last week two hemispheres away (South vs North and East vs West) - they work well, I carried no water weight and they rehydrated in less time with less fuel than normal d...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Vegan food on the go
January 11, 9:45pm

Scouting, Outing Club, marry the right person.
I got introduced to camping skills and later to backpacking in the Boy Scouts. When I was about 13, the kids, through Boy and Girl Scouts, had enough basic skills to allow family camping trips wit...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How much did childhood experiences influence your interest in backpacking.
January 11, 9:28pm

White gas.
In anticipation of the Q, "What about white gas?" and knowing a lot about what is in motor-vehicle gasoline and that there are less volatiles in white gas, I'd estimate the heat per p...

In Philosophy & Technique » h2o fuel release
December 21, 12:21am

Is there a chemical engineer in the house?
You know the party is going really well (or really poorly) when that call goes out! Carbon releases the least amount of water as a combustion product: none. Boat builders know this and will use...

In Philosophy & Technique » h2o fuel release
December 21, 12:05am

Re: Re: it's been a couple of months now, feedback on iphone 6 use in the backcountry? 6 vs 6 plus?
>"I missed having the Lifeproof Nuud case that I used with iPhone 5. Pricey but awesome. Nothing covering the screen, but completely waterproof - I dropped my iPhone 5 in a river in Costa R...

In GEAR » it's been a couple of months now, feedback on iphone 6 use in the backcountry? 6 vs 6 plus?
December 20, 4:42pm

Re: Lightweight
Bogs are insulated in that they are made from neoprene. But they aren't insulated like pack boots (Sorel, etc) are. For lighter weight in sub-freezing temps (no liquid water), look at what ...

In GEAR » Bogs?
December 20, 12:18am

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.