BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 181 - 190 of 2373 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...238

Forum » Thread

Some many factors, so few hours in the shop.
If you got a height = radius (height = 1/2 the diameter) for the no-lid scenario, you got the math right. But then there's that assumption of constant wall thickness. Could you have a gal...

In GEAR » Optimum ratio of pot diameter to height
February 28, 11:24pm

My two items?
1) Lots of training, teaching, and reading on First Aid and experience in wilderness settings with numerous situations. 2) Creativity, honed by taking and administering FA practice sessions with m...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What is your two item first aid kit?
February 27, 10:32pm

How far away is far enough.
Here's a humorous but factual assessment of various scenarios involving lightening: http://what-if.xkcd.com/16/

In Philosophy & Technique » Thunderstorms in the wilderness – What to do
February 26, 11:32am

Re: Hiking shoes advice
"I like to hike on technical section of trails with rocks and where you might have to also use hands at times. " For me, this dictates a sole with some stiffness or my feet feel really...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hiking shoes advice
February 24, 10:54am

Re: ditching the pot for a skillet
We went on a one-week canoeing trip of the Zambezi River between Zimbabwe and Zambia. Pretty much all of breakfast and dinner passed through a frying pan. It made for kind of a heavy diet because...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » ditching the pot for a skillet
February 23, 10:30pm

Re: The only first aid kit you'll ever need
A friend's wife sells "essential oils" that cure all sorts of ills. He and I have learned to steer the conversation elsewhere when my wife (a double-board-certified MD) is present. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » The only first aid kit you'll ever need
February 23, 5:29pm

Re: White Gas? Hell, let's go straight to calcium carbide!
>"What I really wanted to work on for a UL cooking system is an unpressurized stove that ran on calcium carbide." Shooting from the hip, I think you're not going to have as good...

In GEAR » Why Isn't There an UL Alcohol Type Stove that Bruns White Gas?
February 23, 5:08pm

Re: Re: Re: Why Isn't There an UL Alcohol Type Stove that Bruns White Gas?
Dan, Thanks for the link (Venom Super Stove using HEET in the "Red" bottle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gqWJvYtcTA ). Being me, it screamed "needs a HX on the pot", bu...

February 23, 4:53pm

How many stoves is too many?
>"I think that I am on my way to developing a stove fetish now." Tony, it is only a fetish in comparison to someone with a single stove. Compared to Hiking Jim, you have only a m...

February 23, 4:46pm

Re: FS: Maps - Yosemite, Mt.Tam, Pt.Reyes, bike touring map
I'll take all of them. $13. If you'd do USPS to Alaska (same price as 48-states), I'll forward the biking map (which I don't need) to Max for $3 on the honor system. If you need ...

In Gear Swap » FS: Maps - Yosemite, Mt.Tam, Pt.Reyes, bike touring map
February 23, 1:03pm

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.