BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 181 - 190 of 2595 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...260

Forum » Thread

Re: MYOG head net
I find dark netting easier to see through than light colors. Light colors reflect more light and make my view less distinct. As noted, a thin wire or metal band to hold it away from your face m...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG head net
August 17, 10:57pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: The trail food you just can't stand.
>"Do y'all remember PowerBars?" The saving grace of PowerBars was that nothing can happen to a PowerBar during a caving trip (cold, wet, muddy, crawling on your belly while rest...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » The trail food you just can't stand.
August 17, 8:48pm

Re: Exploring the Guadalupe Mountains and Pecos Wilderness
Luke, Thanks for the trip report. I've pondered the Guadalupe Mtns as a Spring Break option for our family. Coming out of an Alaskan winter, the temps and snow aren't an issue and we don&...

In Post-Trip Reports » Exploring the Guadalupe Mountains and Pecos Wilderness
August 17, 2:20pm

Cheap II
Another very cheap, grocery-store item for no-cook menus is instant cheesecake. Not the packaged ones. Just a box of instant pudding, made with cold water instead of milk (use a little less liqui...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Going Stoveless Question...
August 15, 10:28pm

Re: packit
Tabouli is another inexpensive grocery-store, rehydrate-cold, serve-cold option.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Going Stoveless Question...
August 15, 6:01pm

Re: Awesome!
Whitney's height has been resurveyed since, I believe, but those photos show it as 14,496.811 like I remember. Not exactly UL techniques - 6 burros, a unicycle on top of Whitney (!), etc.

In Post-Trip Reports » 1953 North fork-Kings River via Middle fork-Tehipite, JMT, Mt. Whitney, Kern River, Camp Nelson.
August 15, 5:53pm

Relying on the kindness of strangers.
Definitely, HYOH. And if you want an uber-supported run, then, sure, go for it. For me, "The few times McConaughy and his support team missed each other at a planned checkpoint go down as ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » New PCT record, again
August 15, 3:01pm

Re: How to cache water in a forest?
Rex, I've done this in preparation for "death marches" (40+ mile day hikes) to stash water and calories in advance. In part because it gives a purpose to pre-trip conditioning hik...

In Philosophy & Technique » How to cache water in a forest?
August 15, 2:45pm

Night-time weather
"Canyons are worse than surrounding higher country." Quite true, even on a small scale. A rise with 20-30 feet more of elevation can be 5-10 degrees warmer than being low in a valley ...

In GEAR » Calling all Yosemite veterans
August 15, 1:51pm

Re: Looking for New Product Feedback- Camp Chairs
Personally, I've gone from those common, steel-framed camp chairs (the ones with arm rests and cup holders) to more minimal, commercially available, aluminum-framed chairs with backs at about $...

In GEAR » Looking for New Product Feedback- Camp Chairs
August 12, 7:03pm

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.