Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 181 - 190 of 3028 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...303

Forum » Thread

More DIY pole transport
In a pinch, you can strap, tape or lash your poles to something sturdier - a length of 2x2 that's an inch longer on each end, a piece of broom stick, etc - so the poles can't get compressed...

In GEAR » Airplane travel with trekking poles
March 02, 4:11pm

Re: Airplane travel with trekking poles
There is an allowance for "mobility devices" and my legitimately impaired brother can get through a wooden cane that is a lot stouter than any UL trekking pole. But a healthy hiker tryin...

In GEAR » Airplane travel with trekking poles
March 02, 4:04pm

It's all in the neck.
>"Better than that, a container with an outlet that is a smaller diameter than the cap+thread and has a way down back into the container for the oil that inevitably slides off after pouring...

In GEAR » Carrying Olive Oil
March 02, 9:56am

Re: Re: what about heat exchangers?
Garret, Yes, weight matters less in base camp. But in what way? You bring the heavier HX pot? Or you bring a larger volume of fuel? I have every BP pot my wife and I ever bought (we met o...

In GEAR » Help with titanium pots
March 02, 1:48am

Re: What tire shops do
>"And by partner, I don't mean the guy from the tire shop." I mean, unless you're into that.

In GEAR » Tiny, tiny hole in Exped Downmat UL7.
March 01, 11:55pm

What tire shops do
If you paint / spray your pad with a dish soap & water solution, little, small holes will inflate a bubble over time to something noticeable. Without soap, a small hole on a high spot can'...

In GEAR » Tiny, tiny hole in Exped Downmat UL7.
March 01, 11:54pm

Re: Big Bend with a 13-year old
Fires. Burning your own food. Throwing rocks in the river. Stuff like that is appealing even to kids that age. >"a trip across the border if my sister gets him an ID card" And ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Big Bend with a 13-year old
March 01, 5:55pm

Re: what about heat exchangers?
When I've run the numbers for myself and my family, over about 10 person-days, the heat-exchanger pots come out ahead. More pot weight, but less fuel weight. Family of 4 for a 3-day trip? I ...

In GEAR » Help with titanium pots
March 01, 3:27pm

Re: Carrying Olive Oil
I like name-brand water bottles in a case of 12 or 24 or 30. They are a little more for the water inside (1.5-2 cents/ounce versus 1 cent/ounce) than the really cheap, no-name or house-brand water...

In GEAR » Carrying Olive Oil
March 01, 3:13pm

Re: Re: Re: Hitchhiking at Grand Canyon
Oh, on March 7th? I'll be 25 minutes away in Tusayan. You want some trail magic? We could just make it a date - 8 am at Grandview Point, Saturday morning. I'll set an alarm for 7 am. ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Hitchhiking at Grand Canyon
March 01, 3:02pm

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.