Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Drake (DavidDrake) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale North Idaho
About Me I manage the Fabrication Labs for a university architecture program, and teach design courses.
CityMoscow
StateIdaho
CountryUS
My Website URLhttp://ddrake.net
My PDF Gear List2014 Basic 3 Season 3 Day

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Drake

Showing 181 - 190 of 725 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...73

Forum » Thread

Homeopathic A & E
Reminds me of this Mitchell and Webb sketch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » The only first aid kit you'll ever need
February 22, 9:31am

Any point in getting a new wind shirt?
I have a Golite Dakota windshirt I like okay. Good for rest stops, not so good for more than a few minutes of hiking. But for 3 season hiking when it's not raining, I'm usually warm enough ...

In GEAR » Any point in getting a new wind shirt?
February 21, 11:07pm

Re: Re: Re: New gear list, nothing fancy
Hi Alex, If it were me, I'd be concerned about using a small, barely-waterproof tarp for shelter *and* rain gear, with no bivy, only down for insulation and sleep, and fall/spring/ "mild&...

In Gear Lists » New gear list, nothing fancy
February 21, 7:57pm

Thanks
Thanks everyone for the feedback. As some of you said, it seems like my wife using the WM Ultralite we already have will be the simplest (and likely warmest) option. That will put her base weight r...

In GEAR » Looking at a ZPacks 30* bag for my wife--summer hiking in the Cascades. Your thoughts?
February 18, 6:30pm

Looking at a ZPacks 30* bag for my wife--summer hiking in the Cascades. Your thoughts?
My wife would like to start taking longer backpacking trips with me, specifically a Wonderland Trail hike this summer (or a hike in the Cascades of similar length if we don't get a WT permit). ...

In GEAR » Looking at a ZPacks 30* bag for my wife--summer hiking in the Cascades. Your thoughts?
February 17, 1:32pm

Re: Re: Aluminized cuben exists--at least, it used to.
I'll send a piece out sometime this week. I have a NeoAir I use sometimes (it's narrow and a little loud, as well as longer than I need). I sleep with that silver side down, so I suppose...

In Editor's Roundtable » Torso Simulator to test Heat Loss in Outdoor Gear – Radiation
February 09, 5:15pm

Aluminized cuben exists--at least, it used to.
Hi Jerry, Haven't read BPL for a year or so, and missed this article. You write: "Another way to minimize radiant heat loss is to have an aluminized layer above you, for example your t...

In Editor's Roundtable » Torso Simulator to test Heat Loss in Outdoor Gear – Radiation
February 09, 2:26pm

A "Cautionary Tale" from High Country News
http://www.hcn.org/wotr/why-i-never-hike-alone Not sure I would have drawn the same conclusion as the author.

In Chaff » A "Cautionary Tale" from High Country News
June 29, 4:04pm

Lesson learned
Thanks again for all the comments. Needless to say, I'll be using a windscreen along the lines of Roger's recommendations in the future. I feel fortunate this insight came without injury or...

In GEAR » Stove gurus: Did I melt the Lindal valve on my stove canister?
June 17, 10:10am

Re: Re: Stove gurus: Did I melt the Lindal valve on my stove canister?
Thanks everyone. I take the cautions to heart, esp. Roger's as I've followed all his stove articles on BPL with interest. Rest assured, I don't intend to use this windscreen again, alt...

In GEAR » Stove gurus: Did I melt the Lindal valve on my stove canister?
June 15, 9:46pm

All Reader Reviews by David Drake

David Drake has posted no reviews.