BPL Community Profile

Chris Townsend (Christownsend) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Cairngorms National Park
About Me outdoor writer and photographer, author of many books & articles on backpacking, hill walking and ski touring. Very keen on long distance walks and wilderness. Hikes: PCT (1982), CDT (1985), length of the Canadian Rockies, Yukon end to end, Arizona Trail, length of Norway and Sweden, round of the Munros and Tops, Land's End to John O'Groats and many shorter (under 800 miles) hikes.
CityGrantown-on-Spey
CountryScotland
My Website URLhttp://www.christownsendoutdoors.co.uk

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Chris Townsend

Showing 181 - 190 of 414 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...42

Forum » Thread

The Yukon
Bruce, glad to hear you like my book. There should be a fourth edition sometime though not in the next year or so. The Yukon hike was wonderful. There are virtually no trails so route finding wa...

In Philosophy & Technique » Ed Wardle's trek across the Yukon
August 25, 4:05pm

Pertex Quantum vs. Event
Bill, the Pertex website is confusing. But as Mike points out Rab use Pertex Quantum Endurance so it certainly exists. As well as the DWR it has a thin membrane on the inside to provide the waterpr...

In GEAR » Pertex Quantum vs. Event
August 25, 5:45am

Pertex Quantum vs. Event
Oops! I missed the word Endurance out of my first post (I've added it now). Pertex Quantum is not very water resistant, Pertex Quantum Endurance, which is used for the Ultra, is the one with th...

August 24, 5:07pm

Pertex Quantum vs. Event
Pertex is a family of fabrics, some of which are waterproof. Pertex Shield, as used in the Rab Survival Zone bivi bag, is waterproof. Pertex Quantum Endurance is just about waterproof - it has a hy...

August 24, 3:00pm

Ed Wardle's trek across the Yukon
Hm, I don't like the "harrowing survival odyssey" stuff. I spent three months walking south-north through the Yukon and whilst some of the hiking was tough I enjoyed it.

In Philosophy & Technique » Ed Wardle's trek across the Yukon
August 23, 4:23pm

RAB Quality
Sounds like you've been unlucky with the Rab sleeping bag. I've been using Rab bags for over a decade and some have had much hard usage and I've not had any problems. I've also foun...

In GEAR » Westcomb vs. Rab
August 21, 2:01pm

Westcomb vs Rab + Berghaus
Berghaus is one of the big names in quality outdoor gear in the UK (clothing, footwear & packs) and has been for 30 years. They were one of the first companies to use Gore-Tex, in the late 1970...

In GEAR » Westcomb vs. Rab
August 14, 5:38pm

What shelter for Nepal?
I've led three treks in Nepal, all of them camping trips. On two I used the heavy cotton double A pole tents provided by the trekking company but on one I used my Phoenix Phreeranger tent, whic...

In GEAR » What shelter for Nepal?
July 28, 11:46am

Tarptent vs MSR: Waterproofing seams?
The question of proofing tent seams is an interesting. I suspect that makers advise it because they are then covered if the tent leaks. I don't proof seams until they leak. I'm still waitin...

In GEAR » Tarptent vs MSR
July 19, 6:49pm

Tent designs: Photon & Scarp
Martin, my favourite design is still the Hillenerg Akto, which is perfect for my needs - other than now being a bit heavy compared with alternatives. However the Scarp 1 comes a fairly close second...

In GEAR » New Tarptent ;this is the Moment !!!
July 18, 4:59pm

All Reader Reviews by Chris Townsend

Chris Townsend has posted no reviews.