BPL Community Profile

Brad Groves (4quietwoods) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Michigan
About Me Mostly longer trips without resupply, in what usually seems to be cold and wet conditions. Over two decades of backcountry travel including backpacking and canoe tripping. I consider Marquette to be my home, but I currently live down-state. Many years as a buyer in specialty outdoor retail.
My PDF Gear Listalways changing

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brad Groves

Showing 181 - 190 of 1559 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...156

Forum » Thread

Re: Nesting Titanium Mugs?
I note three people in your avatar... are you planning to carry the cookware for all? (Please tell us you don't want 3 pots for yourself, one to cook, one to eat, one to drink!) If you'...

In GEAR » Nesting Titanium Mugs?
October 11, 10:02am

Re: Time to wash it?
Brett, if the baffles started out poofy and aren't now, it's pretty unlikely that you've lost any down out of them. I once had a bag that had obviously lost a bunch of loft, so I tho...

In GEAR » Western Mountaineering Warranty?
October 11, 9:50am

Re: Rain anorak as wind shirt?
A rain jacket will inherently be windproof. A wind jacket will not necessarily be completely windproof, but could be wind resistant. People rave about wind jackets because they breathe a lot bet...

In GEAR » Rain anorak as wind shirt?
October 11, 9:47am

Re: Merino or Synthetic base layers?
There's an awful lot of fuss about how wool takes horribly longer than synthetic to dry. I own tubs full of both, and have soaked both materials and then seen how long it takes them to dry. In ...

In GEAR » Merino or Synthetic base layers?
October 11, 9:27am

Re: Want eVent jacket...but pit zips needed
If you're sweating so much you feel you need pitzips, you're wearing too much clothing. Either take off the shell or wear something thinner underneath. Seriously, if you're so hot th...

In Make Your Own Gear » Want eVent jacket...but pit zips needed
October 08, 5:56pm

Re: Climashield ratings again
Troy, I think a couple people might be suggesting the same thing you wrote in your OP, though differed with your self: You said you thought a double layer of 3.7oz might take your UQ to 20F, but...

In Make Your Own Gear » Climashield ratings again
October 07, 6:53pm

Re: Where to buy Pertex Endurance?
I asked Pertex about fabric availability to MYOGers while at OR... they won't sell to individuals or to (most) wholesalers. Most of the really light stuff (Quantum) they do is in the sub 30 g/m...

In Make Your Own Gear » Where to buy Pertex Endurance?
October 07, 9:13am

Re: Beginner advice - Socal mtns in winter and Whitney
An acquaintance of mine went ice climbing in Canada with single leather boots. He is now missing part of a foot. I would recommend an insulated boot, and if the possibility of multi-day trips is th...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Beginner advice - Socal mtns in winter and Whitney
October 05, 2:17pm

Re: Hardshells: 3-season, 4-season, etc.
The Rab/ID eVent shells are about ideal as year-round hard shells. I can generally wear one almost as a windbreaker (almost...), & the fabric's tough enough for any season... at 10 ounces, ...

In GEAR » Hardshells: 3-season, 4-season, etc.
October 04, 2:51pm

Re: Adding Down to a WM Summerlite Bag
There's plenty of room for more down in a Summerlite. However, it's not a bag that WM has an overfill for... and they seem to be quite hesitant to do. Not a problem adding the down, shoo...

In Make Your Own Gear » Adding Down to a WM Summerlite Bag
October 04, 11:03am

All Reader Reviews by Brad Groves

Brad Groves has posted no reviews.