BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1781 - 1790 of 1822 | Page: 1 ...164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183

Forum » Thread

Best price for Good Cook Safe Cut can opener?
SOOOOO, who's found the best price for the Safe Cut can opener? Some folks have reported getting them at Walgreens ... but the Walgreens in our town are all saying "we used to carry it, but ..."...

In GEAR » Ultralight Outfitters Beer Can Stove System for Esbit Fuel
September 07, 7:29pm

Re: Lightweight & Inexpensive - Philmont 2006
This answer assumes the goal is lightweight rather than ultralight. tyvek would work for a gear tarp but be warned, tyvek is *LOUD* in the wind. If you have access to a few sewing machines yo...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Lightweight & Inexpensive - Philmont 2006
September 06, 1:53am

Re: What kind of footwear do you wear ?
Paul, A nit, perhaps, but ... I should probably re-read that part of Beyond Backpacking to be sure but while he certainly did suggest boots for some conditions I'm pretty sure he suggests "th...

In GEAR » What kind of footwear do you wear ?
September 04, 7:38am

an alternative hat brim stiffener
Not being a gram weenie (yet, anyway) I've used, really like and will continue to use thru-hiker's timtex. But if that's too heavy you might try fiberglass window sceen material. At my nearest ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Super Light Weight - Make Your Own for an AT Thru-Hike
August 31, 7:44pm

Re: insul-mat uber micro pad
If you decide you want to try it you can find it for sale here

In GEAR » insul-mat uber micro pad
August 29, 3:06pm

Re: Make a Canister Cozy
I'm trying (and failing) to get my brain around the idea of a canister cozy for cold weather. But since I've not used a canister in the cold I suspect I'm just missing something. Cold weather r...

In Make Your Own Gear » Make A Canister Cozy
August 25, 9:24pm

sewing silnylon
Silnylon presents a lot of challenges. A walking foot is alleged to make it easier. Have you tried adjusting the downward pressure on the foot? It might also be productive to ask at thru-hiker

In Make Your Own Gear » Need silnylon sewing tips
August 22, 3:46pm

Re: Re: inserting an active hyperlink.......
ACK! Sorry about that typo. I've edited the original post to correct it. It ain't nearly as easy to include an example of HTML in a web page as it is to make a functional hyperlink. This ve...

August 22, 2:55am

inserting an active hyperlink into a forum msg
Bill, How to create an active link here .... If you want rings on ebay to take you to http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsassZbigcojones then put this &#...

August 21, 8:22pm

Re: UltraLight Outfitters Beer Can Cook pot Stove small air gap?
I had the same initial reaction as David Lewis ... in that photo the windscreen is *WAY* too tight to allow adequate airflow for combustion. But when I watched the quicktime demo video and learn...

August 14, 12:20pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am