BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1781 - 1790 of 1839 | Page: 1 ...165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Bill's SUL Gear List
Ryan, I'm gonna fork this thread over to MYOG to talk about getting sewing machines. See ya there.

In Gear Lists » Bill's SUL Gear List
November 09, 7:58pm

Re: Lack of Winter Camping experience
However, I agree regarding the food, and that was why I said 1.5- 2 lbs per day, certainly feel 2 lbs is much more appropriate. Our beloved lab rat will do as he pleases but I'd be packing 4000 ...

In Gear Lists » Ryan Jordan's SUL Winter Challenge
November 05, 3:38pm

Re: BobG's SUL Winter List
Jim-- i think wood fires above timberline are unconscionable. No argument there ... I didn't cue into above treeline as being part of the deal. Living 1000 miles from the nearest treeline makes...

November 01, 6:25pm

Re: New Winter SUL Gear List
I've used esbit on solo "shoulder season" trips (cold temps but pre-snowfall) for a few years but no way I'd plan on using esbit to melt snow. BTW, are wood fires considered out of bounds for this?

November 01, 4:56pm

more about drying collapsable water containers
* yes you can buy T fittings for the air lines * If you are really worried about disinfecting water bags .... add a tablespoon of liquid chlorine bleach to one gallon of tepid water and mix wel...

In GEAR » Hydration Bladder Insight
October 30, 2:20pm

drying collapsable water containers
Several folks have noted that collapsable water containers take forever to dry. That can be solved with air exchange if you don't live in *VERY* humid conditions. I tried a small aquarium a...

In GEAR » Hydration Bladder Insight
October 30, 6:11am

picture test
One way to dry a platypus

In User Test Forum » test
October 30, 5:55am

yet another test

October 29, 1:04pm

Re: spinntarp
And the trick is??????

October 28, 9:04pm

Re: Ryan Jordan and the Gear list of Doom
There is some discussion about not being so focused on base weight and more on full skinout weight (FSO). Absolutely! My own feeling is that FSO wt. PLUS wt. of consumables per day is the only ...

October 24, 12:40pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am