BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1771 - 1780 of 1839 | Page: 1 ...165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184

Forum » Thread

Re: Attaching shoulder straps
I don't have experience with the Kelty velcro strap attachments but before anyone decides to incorporate that into an MYOG pack you'll probably want to be aware that hook&loop fasteners (aka velcr...

In Make Your Own Gear » Pack strap construction - question for the gurus
November 22, 6:57am

Re: Sleeping Bag Challenge
I see that REI sells the Kelty Light Year 3D +25 at $100 right now but at 38oz it's nowhere near your target weight. You MIGHT be able to do better than that ($$ vs wt) if you shop reqularly at ...

In GEAR » Sleeping Bag Challenge
November 21, 7:17am

units in gear spreadsheet
How's about if we think/act globally and also include decimal kilograms?

In Gear Lists » BPL Gear List Spreadsheet CONTEST
November 19, 10:36am

Re: Esbit cooking
My experience closely matches Glenn's, right down to using a cutdown MSR windscreen with air holes punched out. But I've found it works nice with medium sized pots (5.5-6" diameter) on a folding...

In Philosophy & Technique » Cooking technique question...
November 18, 1:20pm

Re: Cooking technique question...
Esbit stoves work very well cooking for one person if you are using the boil and soak cooking method. My longest solo outings have been 3 nights but I didn't come home thinking that esbit cooking ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Cooking technique question...
November 18, 12:03pm

MYOG Ti Esbit stove
Thru-hiker not only sells Ti, he has wing stove instructions template included. Says it weighs in at 0.3oz, which would be approx 8.4grams But after materials cost+shipping and the cost of a ...

In GEAR » Wow... Ti Esbit... days with no comments?
November 17, 5:58pm

Shoulder Straps? We don't need no stinkin shoulder straps!
I doubt she said it quite like that but If the load is light enough you could always go Grandma Gatewood style: Or back to Dale's single strap idea ... I've hiked many a mile with day hike s...

In GEAR » Locating Ultralight Pack ?
November 15, 3:38pm

Re: Pack strap construction - question for the gurus
Gossamer Gear's make your own G4 instructions point you to Quest Outfitters for materials. They sell a wide variety of stuff including foam for shoulder straps and hip belts. Thru-Hiker sells p...

In Make Your Own Gear » Pack strap construction - question for the gurus
November 13, 8:30pm

welded stainless steel mesh
I'm not finding sources of "welded stainless steel mesh" in small to moderate quantities. Anyone out there know of any. This is basically "hardware cloth on steroids" .... it's been used for p...

In Make Your Own Gear » welded stainless steel mesh
November 11, 1:18pm

sewing machine advice for Ryan
Ryan, The previous advice in this thread says most of what you need to know. A well tuned up older machine that does straight and zig-zag stitches is what you want. Here and at thru-hiker fo...

In Make Your Own Gear » What sewing machine to buy??
November 09, 8:14pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am