Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1761 - 1770 of 1876 | Page: 1 ...168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188

Forum » Thread

Re: Silicone strips in Tarptent?
Vick, That didn't stop me, so I found out they were right. Tear strength tanked. Pls elaborate. Are you saying that you painted thinned Silicon Sealer to silnylon and that before/after tear str...

In GEAR » Silicone strips in Tarptent?
March 19, 11:45am

Re: tent
One thing to be aware of when looking for a light wt Philmont shelter ... I'm told that Philmont requires all "tents" be floored.

In GEAR » tents
March 18, 8:44am

Silicone strips in Tarptent?
I've used this setup to stay on a sylnylon groundcloth under floorless TarpTents. Since taking that picture I moved the middle strap and added a fourth strap and also added other diagonals to hold...

In GEAR » Silicone strips in Tarptent?
March 17, 7:45pm

Thoughts on this Winter SUL excercise
Here are some thoughts about the Winter SUL excercise (with benefit of hindsight, of course) * There is definitely benefit in a good discussion involving a lot of options ... there were many mo...

In Gear Lists » Ryan Jordan's SUL Winter Challenge
March 16, 3:39pm

Re: Using Your Snow Peak 600 Mug as a Pot
Nice piece. And here's some variations: 1)If you bought a SafeCut side cutting can opener for making a Fosters/Hieneken can pot, it leaves the lids with a turned up edge that don't slice fing...

In GEAR » Using Your Snow Peak 600 Mug as a Pot
March 16, 12:10pm

Re: Lightweight Family Backpacking Tent
or a TarpTent RainShadow 2

In GEAR » Lightweight Family Backpacking Tent
March 02, 2:02pm

Re: Re: Superior Hiking trail
Sep-Oct temp ranges ... personal experience of about 6 Sep/Oct days per year on the SHT over the past 5 years, about half of those in the 3rd Oct week, most of the others approx Oct 1 ... Highest t...

In Gear Lists » 3- Season Wonderland and Superior Hiking trail gear list help
March 01, 4:32am

Re: Perhaps the market is re-grouping
Glenn said ... Raingear: Some clever fellow will incorporate a self-storing pack cover into a pouch on the back of a rain jacket, thereby eliminating the one shortcoming of the pack cover: allowin...

In Editor's Roundtable » State of the Market for Backpacking Gear: Innovation, Broken Promises, and Hope
February 28, 3:12pm

Re: Superior Hiking trail
Adam: IIRC it was an article in the Ridgeline (trail assn newsletter). The assn might be able to get you a copy ... especially if you become a member;-) ... and if you are planning a thru hike and...

February 27, 9:57am

Re: 3- Season Wonderland and Superior Hiking trail gear list help
Have a good trip. If you end up there later in July and run into a buch of scouts you might meet me. I'll also try to get to Duluth in early June for the trail assn's National Trails Day activit...

February 27, 2:43am

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am