BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Guest

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1761 - 1770 of 1808 | Page: 1 ...162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181

Forum » Thread

Re: vapor barrier sleeping bag
Ice in the insulatoin was also a problem for 1986 Steger Arctic Expedition. IIRC, their sleeping bags weighed 60 pounds at the end of the trip. Took hours each night to warm them up. His crew ...

In Winter Hiking » dry down bag?
October 11, 4:11am

Re: Re: Re: Pre-Orders
Franco, Tell me ahout that bank that's paying 5% on short term liquid deposits. That's approx 10 time what banks are paying in my town;-) If the big players in the industry were delivering...

In GEAR » Cocoon Pants Status
October 07, 7:14am

Re: Philmont bear bags
At first I thought they gave us too much food but by late in the trek we were eating everything they provided plus more food we collected from food swap boxes in the camps. Even the chili-mac? ;-)

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Philmont Summer 2006 -
September 21, 11:23am

Re: Re: Kinsman Insulated Pullover Kit
A multi part answer: 1) Send your questions via the contact us link. Ayce has always been very responsive. 2) For the kinsman (and wind pants, I think) kits, he sends a pattern for just the si...

In Make Your Own Gear » Kinsman Insulated Pullover Kit
September 18, 8:21am

Re: Re: Bending Titanium (repeatedly)
The nerve of some folks! Spoiling (perhaps killing!) a perfectly good theoretical discussion by interjecting real life experence. What's this world coming to? he-he

In GEAR » Bending Titanium (repeatedly)
September 13, 1:05pm

Re: Kinsman Insulated Pullover Kit
I just received the kit, have not started cutting/sewing yet. I have made thru-hiker wind pants and Kennebec. Instructions are good. Contruction methods are highly developed. Modifying a pa...

In Make Your Own Gear » Kinsman Insulated Pullover Kit
September 11, 7:07pm

Best price for Good Cook Safe Cut can opener?
SOOOOO, who's found the best price for the Safe Cut can opener? Some folks have reported getting them at Walgreens ... but the Walgreens in our town are all saying "we used to carry it, but ..."...

In GEAR » Ultralight Outfitters Beer Can Stove System for Esbit Fuel
September 07, 7:29pm

Re: Lightweight & Inexpensive - Philmont 2006
This answer assumes the goal is lightweight rather than ultralight. tyvek would work for a gear tarp but be warned, tyvek is *LOUD* in the wind. If you have access to a few sewing machines yo...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Lightweight & Inexpensive - Philmont 2006
September 06, 1:53am

Re: What kind of footwear do you wear ?
Paul, A nit, perhaps, but ... I should probably re-read that part of Beyond Backpacking to be sure but while he certainly did suggest boots for some conditions I'm pretty sure he suggests "th...

In GEAR » What kind of footwear do you wear ?
September 04, 7:38am

an alternative hat brim stiffener
Not being a gram weenie (yet, anyway) I've used, really like and will continue to use thru-hiker's timtex. But if that's too heavy you might try fiberglass window sceen material. At my nearest ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Super Light Weight - Make Your Own for an AT Thru-Hike
August 31, 7:44pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am