BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1751 - 1760 of 1822 | Page: 1 ...164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183

Forum » Thread

Re: Please extend Spreadsheet deadline
If there is no extension, is the deadline at 00:00 or 23:59 on 12/1?

In Gear Lists » BPL Gear List Spreadsheet CONTEST
November 29, 12:22pm

"temperature ratings" of sleeping pads
"(R2.3), which I have used down to 5 degrees. does anyone but me think it will work?" I'd like to point out that when considering insulation needs from a pad used on the ground, air temperature ...

In Gear Lists » Ryan Jordan's SUL Winter Challenge
November 28, 2:39am

Re: Re: Make your own Overmitt
Thru-hiker has instructions for making simple fleece mittens. You might find them to be a useful starting point.

In GEAR » Nylon Shell Mittens
November 27, 11:41am

Re: Attaching shoulder straps
I don't have experience with the Kelty velcro strap attachments but before anyone decides to incorporate that into an MYOG pack you'll probably want to be aware that hook&loop fasteners (aka velcr...

In Make Your Own Gear » Pack strap construction - question for the gurus
November 22, 6:57am

Re: Sleeping Bag Challenge
I see that REI sells the Kelty Light Year 3D +25 at $100 right now but at 38oz it's nowhere near your target weight. You MIGHT be able to do better than that ($$ vs wt) if you shop reqularly at ...

In GEAR » Sleeping Bag Challenge
November 21, 7:17am

units in gear spreadsheet
How's about if we think/act globally and also include decimal kilograms?

In Gear Lists » BPL Gear List Spreadsheet CONTEST
November 19, 10:36am

Re: Esbit cooking
My experience closely matches Glenn's, right down to using a cutdown MSR windscreen with air holes punched out. But I've found it works nice with medium sized pots (5.5-6" diameter) on a folding...

In Philosophy & Technique » Cooking technique question...
November 18, 1:20pm

Re: Cooking technique question...
Esbit stoves work very well cooking for one person if you are using the boil and soak cooking method. My longest solo outings have been 3 nights but I didn't come home thinking that esbit cooking ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Cooking technique question...
November 18, 12:03pm

MYOG Ti Esbit stove
Thru-hiker not only sells Ti, he has wing stove instructions template included. Says it weighs in at 0.3oz, which would be approx 8.4grams But after materials cost+shipping and the cost of a ...

In GEAR » Wow... Ti Esbit... days with no comments?
November 17, 5:58pm

Shoulder Straps? We don't need no stinkin shoulder straps!
I doubt she said it quite like that but If the load is light enough you could always go Grandma Gatewood style: Or back to Dale's single strap idea ... I've hiked many a mile with day hike s...

In GEAR » Locating Ultralight Pack ?
November 15, 3:38pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am