Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John Donewar (Newton) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southeastern Louisiana
About Me Bitten by the hiking bug in 2008. The "infection" persists and I am not in search of cure. :-)
Reinfected by the MYOG bug in 2009 and I am still not in search of a cure. :-)
If I am not hiking I am reading about it or working on my gear.
Became a BPL Lifetime Member 5/1/11.
CityGretna
StateLouisiana
CountryU.S.A.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Donewar

Showing 1751 - 1760 of 1768 | Page: 1 ...158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177

Forum » Thread

"Single best piece of advice"
Carry more gear and you will like camping more. Carry less gear and you will enjoy hiking more. Party On ! 2010 Newton

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Single best piece of advice ever given? What's yours?
January 07, 7:53pm

"Your opinions on shelter"
Even though I sleep much better in the recliner chair style position afforded me in my hammock the urge to go lighter has me looking into tarp style tents. I am in no hurry to get back to the grou...

In GEAR » Your opinions on shelter
January 06, 10:50pm

"Your opinions on shelter"
Let me add some "weight" to this thread. :-) :-) My first tent was a $14.00 K-Mart special rip stop nylon pup tent style that I treated with 4 or 5 cans of silicone waterproofing spray...

In GEAR » Your opinions on shelter
January 06, 10:31pm

Re: "Nicknames"
Click on my avatar and read my short bio. In 2008 my wife's cousin got me hooked on hiking. Since I was new to hiking and had no trail name (nickname) as of yet I had to pick one. Newton =...

In Chaff » Nicknames
January 04, 6:52pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Moras are not full tang :-)
Joseph, We'll be starting out a little North of Erwin, TN and hopefully end up in Damascus, VA. Party On ! 2010 Newton

In GEAR » What knife do you carry backpacking?
January 03, 9:43pm

Re: Re: Re: Moras are not full tang
Joseph, I have not been steered away from Cody Lundin's books. I agree with you about "98.6 Degrees" being a great book. Notice how I sign my posts. I have adopted and modifie...

January 03, 9:28pm

Re: Tang, schmang
Dale, We're in agreement on all points. I got exactly what I was looking for in the Mora. It has the best combination of strength, size, lightness and low cost that I have found to date....

January 03, 8:46pm

Re: Moras are not full tang
Joseph, I stand corrected and appreciate the input. A picture is worth a thousand words and yours explain eloquently the differences between full and rat tail tangs. I missed the obvious dif...

January 03, 7:39pm

Re: "How to carry a knife in a pack" ?
Why carry a knife in your pack ?!?!? In an ultralight world a folder (pocket knife) goes in your pocket. Hopefully for the sake of retention secured by a pocket clip. In the same enviorment ...

In GEAR » How to carry a knife in a pack
January 03, 4:57pm

Re: "What knife do you carry backpacking?"
My personal choice has been the CRKT M16-10KZ. It tips the scale at 2.3 ounces. The scales are zytel and the blade is AUS4 stainless with a black coating. The design of the blade is a partially ...

January 03, 4:08pm

All Reader Reviews by John Donewar

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Under Armour Men's UA Escape 7" Solid Shorts
Here are the particulars. Ultra-lightweight woven fabric. Mesh internal liner. 360° Reflectivity Hand pockets for your essentials. 7” inseam 2.2 oz. Polyester Men'...</td>          
           <td class=

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
September 29, 10:56am

Scope Outlast
This is a first for me as I have never posted a gear review before. The Scope Outlast Minibrush probably isn't really even considered as hiking gear. Scope Outlast Minibrush

In Backpacks - External Frame
August 13, 12:14pm