BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1741 - 1750 of 1860 | Page: 1 ...166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186

Forum » Thread

insulation values of synthetics
Polarguard Delta ... has the best the weight to insulation value ratio of any synthetic. Primaloft sport ... has one of the worst weight to insulation value ratios. I am guessing that Richard is...

In GEAR » Best light synthetic 15-25F sleeping bags
April 06, 3:25pm

Re: Ways to lighten up: 3 night trip to Havasupai
Just attacking the big 3 without asking you to move far out of the comfort zone implied in your choices: If you are comfortable with a 55F sleeping bag, you could drop 8oz using a quilt made of ...

In Gear Lists » Ways to lighten up: 3 night trip to Havasupai
April 05, 6:36am

Re: Are poles effective and PP poles more so?
Lee, I know several folks with chronic knee problems who tell me that poles help them a lot. Unfortunately I don't know the details of their problems so we don't know if their experience applie...

In GEAR » Are poles effective and PP poles more so?
April 05, 5:39am

Re: drying a platypus?
this works

In GEAR » drying a platypus?
March 29, 5:03am

Re: Silicone strips in Tarptent?
Vick, That didn't stop me, so I found out they were right. Tear strength tanked. Pls elaborate. Are you saying that you painted thinned Silicon Sealer to silnylon and that before/after tear str...

In GEAR » Silicone strips in Tarptent?
March 19, 11:45am

Re: tent
One thing to be aware of when looking for a light wt Philmont shelter ... I'm told that Philmont requires all "tents" be floored.

In GEAR » tents
March 18, 8:44am

Silicone strips in Tarptent?
I've used this setup to stay on a sylnylon groundcloth under floorless TarpTents. Since taking that picture I moved the middle strap and added a fourth strap and also added other diagonals to hold...

In GEAR » Silicone strips in Tarptent?
March 17, 7:45pm

Thoughts on this Winter SUL excercise
Here are some thoughts about the Winter SUL excercise (with benefit of hindsight, of course) * There is definitely benefit in a good discussion involving a lot of options ... there were many mo...

In Gear Lists » Ryan Jordan's SUL Winter Challenge
March 16, 3:39pm

Re: Using Your Snow Peak 600 Mug as a Pot
Nice piece. And here's some variations: 1)If you bought a SafeCut side cutting can opener for making a Fosters/Hieneken can pot, it leaves the lids with a turned up edge that don't slice fing...

In GEAR » Using Your Snow Peak 600 Mug as a Pot
March 16, 12:10pm

Re: Lightweight Family Backpacking Tent
or a TarpTent RainShadow 2

In GEAR » Lightweight Family Backpacking Tent
March 02, 2:02pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am