BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1731 - 1740 of 1839 | Page: 1 ...165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184

Forum » Thread

Re: Perhaps the market is re-grouping
Glenn said ... Raingear: Some clever fellow will incorporate a self-storing pack cover into a pouch on the back of a rain jacket, thereby eliminating the one shortcoming of the pack cover: allowin...

In Editor's Roundtable » State of the Market for Backpacking Gear: Innovation, Broken Promises, and Hope
February 28, 3:12pm

Re: Superior Hiking trail
Adam: IIRC it was an article in the Ridgeline (trail assn newsletter). The assn might be able to get you a copy ... especially if you become a member;-) ... and if you are planning a thru hike and...

In Gear Lists » 3- Season Wonderland and Superior Hiking trail gear list help
February 27, 9:57am

Re: 3- Season Wonderland and Superior Hiking trail gear list help
Have a good trip. If you end up there later in July and run into a buch of scouts you might meet me. I'll also try to get to Duluth in early June for the trail assn's National Trails Day activit...

February 27, 2:43am

I've hiked the entire trail over the last several years but I still find the guidebook very useful: * reasonably accurate campsite info * tidbits of local history * some description of what to e...

February 26, 7:57am

How long to thru hike? How fast are you? IIRC, someone did it in 5 days and change last year ... that's five forty mile days. It's certainly not a mountain trail. To start with, there's n...

February 24, 4:24pm

Re: Anybody know about this down jacket?
Hmmmm ... 550 fill power 85/15 down/feather mix ... might be worth the $52 but certainly no steal

In GEAR » Anybody know about this down jacket?
February 24, 4:04pm

do you think you could tell me a bit more about why you're not particularly fond of the trail? Sigh .... yet another failed attempt to kid around in text ... when will I learn. SHT is a great...

February 24, 11:49am

Well I must say I have mixed emotions about the SHT getting mentioned on an international forum. All youse guys out there, be advised that on good days, the SHT is a third rate trail at best. Tha...

February 23, 3:27pm

Re: Single Guy Line
Once all the frost is out of the soil here I'll be trying the single line approach .... that's 5-8 weeks away. My interpretation of this statement is that tensioning each guypoint from 2 directi...

In Philosophy & Technique » Benchmark time for Tarp Set Up?
February 19, 10:15am

re: tarp guying
Paul, I think the discussion has muddled the causes and effects. You are correct that it's the number of number of attachement points that determines the number of panels and that the one gu...

In Philosophy & Technique » Benchmark time for Tarp Set Up?
February 18, 5:32am

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am