BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1731 - 1740 of 1809 | Page: 1 ...162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181

Forum » Thread

Re: 1.5oz wood stove
Pretty Dang Nice (PDN)! But if you'll allow me to pretend to be a gram weenie when I'm not .... I'd like to play devil's advocate with this. At .5 oz starter fluid per cooked meal, aren't you...

In Make Your Own Gear » 1.5oz wood stove
December 14, 4:36pm

the low cost Photon light alternative
Tinny & Ryan, I have a photon and recently tried one of the $3 photon-like lights from AntiGravityGear: * definitely not the same light * pretty much identical size/shape * seemed like simi...

In Make Your Own Gear » Making the Photon light easier to find
December 13, 12:03pm

Gossamer Gear NightLite pad length
So, Ryan J and PJ both say they'd prefer a couple more inches of length on the torso length NightLite pad. Is there anything about the NightLite that would prevent folks from ordering the 3/4 le...

In Make Your Own Gear » Gossamer Gear NightLite pad length
December 09, 4:01pm

Re: Backpacking meals
I want to second William's suggestion about dehydrated cooked hamburger. Someone I met online called it "burger rocks" ... which will make perfect sense if you try to bite one of the dried piece...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Prepackaged vs Homemade
December 09, 8:00am

Re: condensation inside PacLite?
This is might be insensible perspiration condensing on the cool inner surface of the jacket. I found the following expanation of types of perspiration here We perspire in two different ways....

In GEAR » condensation inside PacLite?
December 08, 3:54pm

materials sourcing: down for MYOG
thru-hiker sells 800+ fill power down

In Make Your Own Gear » Materials Sourcing
December 05, 9:22am

is a modified extreme stove a plan for success??
The stove discussion is very good stuff for the early stages of invention but since we're planning on sending him out with this kit I just gotta ask ... "What reason will we have to think it will w...

In Gear Lists » Ryan Jordan's SUL Winter Challenge
November 29, 9:44pm

Re: Please extend Spreadsheet deadline
If there is no extension, is the deadline at 00:00 or 23:59 on 12/1?

In Gear Lists » BPL Gear List Spreadsheet CONTEST
November 29, 12:22pm

"temperature ratings" of sleeping pads
"(R2.3), which I have used down to 5 degrees. does anyone but me think it will work?" I'd like to point out that when considering insulation needs from a pad used on the ground, air temperature ...

In Gear Lists » Ryan Jordan's SUL Winter Challenge
November 28, 2:39am

Re: Re: Make your own Overmitt
Thru-hiker has instructions for making simple fleece mittens. You might find them to be a useful starting point.

In GEAR » Nylon Shell Mittens
November 27, 11:41am

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am