Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

George Matthews (gmatthews) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale George Matthews hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me George Matthews has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by George Matthews

Showing 1721 - 1730 of 1731 | Page: 1 ...155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174

Forum » Thread

The expeds are winners by far
Did not know if you had the reg or short, but either of them is better than my pads per my criteria... Exped Downmat 7 R-Value 5.9 Grams 790 Width 20 Length 70 Area ...

In Philosophy & Technique » My Sleeping Pads: Painful Comfort
February 20, 11:50am

will call them tomorrow
thanks - i will call owf tomorrow i'm getting 7 ft rei is .15/ft owf is .16/ft back to the mitts - i gave one of them a quick sink test and the water beaded off. does this indicate th...

In Make Your Own Gear » Where can I find 1/8 in shock cord
February 18, 6:02pm

excellent link - thanks!
Thanks for your great link - went right to it but the item is on backorder. But I started browsing around and see lots of stuff there. DIY is new area for me. Fortunately my wife used to sew...

February 18, 3:08pm

Where can I find 1/8 in shock cord
Where can I find 1/8 in. shock cord? My wife and I are trying to finish up our first sewn gear project. We used the Controlled Exposure Shell Overmitts #75 pattern. We bought the pattern and ...

February 18, 1:55pm

four times
It took me four tries, but I was able to make a fantastic stove. My first three attempts obviously did not have good seals and kinda worked. It was not clear to me until I tested #4 and saw the j...

In Make Your Own Gear » BPL MYOG Project: Open Jet Alcohol Stove
February 18, 7:57am

skeeters
"You know how to tell a tough mosquito?" my uncle used to tell us, "You slap it, it slaps you back."

In Philosophy & Technique » Tarps and Bugs
February 16, 6:03pm

Glasses case
I have worn glasses for reading/computer for many years. However, I wear sunglasses (not prescription) during the day when I'm hiking. I only use my glasses when I'm reading maps or readin...

In Philosophy & Technique » Eyes on the Trail?
February 16, 5:32pm

Yellow Trail
Relying on Roach's Classic Commandment #10. You never pass up a chance to pee [for the weight reduction aspect of it]

In Philosophy & Technique » You know you are an ultralight backpacker if...
February 16, 5:13pm

My Sleeping Pads: Painful Comfort
Over my three years of backpacking, I've tried four sleeping pads. The purchase of my first sleeping pad received little thought because it was free when I bought my first sleeping bag. It w...

In Philosophy & Technique » My Sleeping Pads: Painful Comfort
February 16, 1:45pm

Re: Food drying
sarbar on your website you mentioned the Nesco dehydrator. How much time does it take to dehydrate foods with it? For example, does it take you a couple of hours per day for a couple of da...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Food drying
February 11, 7:41pm

All Reader Reviews by George Matthews

Showing 1 - 10 of 52 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Review

Category

Backpacking Light Thorofare Trekking Pant
Backpacking Light Thorofare Trekking Pant Size L (my scale 4.1 oz) I'm 5'11" and 185 lb Very comfortable fit for me. Snaps on pant bottom (two settings gives flexibility) The p...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
December 30, 4:28pm

Rocky Rocky GTX Socks
I use trailrunners (Inov8 Terrocs) and bought the Rocky GTX socks for cold, really messy weather. I gave them a few good tests this fall. I wore them over Smartwool socks (medium thickness). Fortun...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
December 30, 3:46pm

White Box Alcohol Stove
Got one in July for when I want to use alcohol stove for 2 - 3 hikers. Bought the combo from BPL Shop. T...

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 28, 12:21pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Really nice system. All you need is the Mug. I usually boil 1.5 cups of water using about 3/4 oz (12 drams) or a bit less of denatured alcohol depending on the water's coldness. A secondary ben...

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 21, 1:14pm

Mountain Laurel Designs MLD 2Thirds XP Quilt
Per MLD: Shell Fabric: Momentum Mini Ripstop (Aegean Blue) Lining Fabric: Momentum Taffeta (Black) Insulation: ClimaShield XP 2.5oz/sq/yd 8.9 oz ClimaShield XP 2.5oz/sq/yd Top Width 43”, ...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
December 20, 4:36pm

Frogg Toggs Rain Suit
I know these have been around for a while, but I was itching to get something with the Print-Issue-RIP coupon. I tried them during a good rain on a cool day. They are comfy and kept me dry. Howe...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 20, 4:05pm

Backpacking Light Merino UL Pants
The pants are light and comfortable. I like to wear them under running shorts. I plan to integrate them into my clothing system for cool through cold weather. They were also nice under Precip pants...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
December 20, 3:59pm

FireLite Trapper's Mug
FireLite 475ml Titanium Trapper's Mug Trapper's Mug Absolute simplicity! ...

In Cookware - Titanium
December 20, 2:50pm

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
The Backpacking Light Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody The need for a single, functional, highly versatile garment that minimized layering changes during the Arctic 1000 expedition inspired Ryan Jordan ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
December 06, 1:52pm

Liqumins Electrolyte Stamina Power Pak OrangeBlast
I picked up a box of Liqumins Electrolyte Stamina Power Pak (Orange Blast) at Vitamin Shoppe. The product claims: "feel the difference or your money back". I thought, why not try it. Typi...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
June 11, 6:14am