BPL Community Profile

John Donewar (Newton) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southeastern Louisiana
About Me Bitten by the hiking bug in 2008. The "infection" persists and I am not in search of cure. :-)
Reinfected by the MYOG bug in 2009 and I am still not in search of a cure. :-)
If I am not hiking I am reading about it or working on my gear.
Became a BPL Lifetime Member 5/1/11.
CityGretna
StateLouisiana
CountryU.S.A.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Donewar

Showing 1721 - 1730 of 1768 | Page: 1 ...158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177

Forum » Thread

Re: "MYOG Tent Material"
Please pardon this unintended pun but I have "heard" that unless Spinnaker fabric is pitched and kept really taut it tends to be quite noisy. This could be a problem with having a good ...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Tent Material
January 31, 1:01pm

Re: Re: Respect
For anyone and everyone. MYOG project. From nothing assemble a tree that lives and grows, produces fruit and shade. This tree should also with a backdrop of a morning sunrise in a clear blue s...

In Post-Trip Reports » Walking across Iran
January 29, 3:53pm

Re: Re: "Erwin to Damascus AT section hike help!"
Joseph, >>John, I am trying to get it typed up on Excel right now. I still haven't weighed a few things. What is the best place to upload an Excel document to the internet so I can pos...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Erwin to Damascus AT section hike help!
January 26, 4:06pm

Re: Erwin to Damascus AT section hike help!
Joseph, >Another option to the public parking is the parking at MRO’s (Mount Rogers Outfitters) hostel. They charge a small fee ($2 a day I think). Matthew hit it on the head. I'm p...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Erwin to Damascus AT section hike help!
January 26, 11:30am

Re: Re: Re: Re: "Mesh, sil-nylon or 4-way stretch for side pockets on backpack?"
David, Thanks for the kind words regarding my pack. >Rusty, I made a few packs with 4 way stretch pockets. Only complaint was that they dried very slowly and slowed the drying of the conte...

In Make Your Own Gear » Mesh, sil-nylon or 4-way stretch for side pockets on backpack?
January 26, 8:09am

Outdoor Research Micronight Bivy
Removed! :-) Party On ! 2010 Newton

In GEAR » Outdoor Research Micronight Bivy
January 22, 4:53pm

Re: "Golite has Officially Lost Their Mind"
> At 8oz and $80, the updated GoLite Poncho tarp looks to be the clear winner over all other poncho tarps except for cuben ones and poncho tarps that setup to be more than just a tarp (ie. the S...

In GEAR » Golite has Officially Lost Their Mind
January 18, 8:34pm

Re: "Working with tyvek"
I got some from Hang-em High Fabrics. They deal in supplies for those who like to make their own kites. Their materials should be on the light side. :-) It is priced at $4.50/yard and is 60&qu...

In Make Your Own Gear » Working with tyvek
January 18, 12:43pm

Re: "Storing Fuel"
I used to use "Heet" in the yellow bottle. My method of storage was a recycled/reclaimed plastic shampoo type bottle with the snap shut dispenser top. I secured this container in a seal...

In Philosophy & Technique » Storing Fuel
January 17, 10:11pm

Re: MYOG Pit Zips
Kathleen, Your Pit Zips are way COOL! :-) Warning! You, like me, appear to have been bitten by the MYOG Bug. Deet will not get rid of the MYOG bug. You now must resign yourself to the fact...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Pit Zips
January 17, 3:56pm

All Reader Reviews by John Donewar

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Under Armour Men's UA Escape 7" Solid Shorts
Here are the particulars. Ultra-lightweight woven fabric. Mesh internal liner. 360° Reflectivity Hand pockets for your essentials. 7” inseam 2.2 oz. Polyester Men'...</td>          
           <td class=

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
September 29, 10:56am

Scope Outlast
This is a first for me as I have never posted a gear review before. The Scope Outlast Minibrush probably isn't really even considered as hiking gear. Scope Outlast Minibrush

In Backpacks - External Frame
August 13, 12:14pm