BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1711 - 1720 of 1844 | Page: 1 ...163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 ...185

Forum » Thread

Re: Fiddling with alcohol stoves
Geez Dale, that was a lot like reading from the first chapter of Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman. Glad you didn't burn the house down. Brought back memories of the time a friend and I (age 8 ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Fiddling with alcohol stoves
May 29, 3:04am

Re: Glacier Park. Which Season?
I haven't been there but a coworker who takes all his annual vacation in Glacier's backcountry (every year) leaves home (MN) on Labor Day and returns during the last week of September. His main ob...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Glacier Park. Which Season?
May 28, 9:13pm

Re: keeping guylines untangled
What a simple, elegant, and ingenious solution Ditto that. Folks sharing their own little gems of genius is what makes forums like this so great. Thanks Vick.

In Philosophy & Technique » keeping guylines untangled
May 28, 4:40pm

Re: Beginner DIY-er: Considerations of Feasability, Cost
Ian, Welcome to the slippery slope called MYOG. Life is more interesting here ... but "other folks" don't seem to understand. I think the following is a pretty complete summary of the "to MY...

In Make Your Own Gear » Beginner DIY-er: Considerations of Feasability, Cost
May 28, 7:21am

Camels (don't read if you hate puns)
OK, you've been warned .... In fact, I hadn't even realised there were camels in the wild in Australia until your post, let alone camels that prefer tarps!!!! you should have known, after all...

In GEAR » New Tarptent (not the Rainbow)
May 23, 4:52pm

Re: ideas - pack frames
a common vocabulary always has merit (unless the objective is to kill a lot of time not making progress)

In Make Your Own Gear » Ultra-Light External Frame Pack
May 18, 7:34am

Re: sleeping in one of those
Tinny at minibulldesigns reports that he's been OK down to 45-50F in the Thermolite Bivy from adventure medical kits. Mind you that he's a northerner (Maine). YMMV

In Multiple Use Gear » Space Blanket / Ground Sheet
May 12, 9:55am

$25 sleeping bag limited field test
I've managed to get 4 nights in this $25 sleeping bag all with the unzipped bag drapped over me like a quilt, on a std thermarest pad in a TarpTent Cloudburst. night 1 * forecast was for ...

In Gear Lists » Cheapest UL Gear List Challenge
May 09, 9:25am

Re: lightening the load
TarpTent Cloudburst 2 would be lighter than your tent and have room for gear too. I'm perfectly happy with one in peak bug season here in MN and WI. Hard to imagine being nimble on a bike while...

In Gear Lists » Mountain Bike Camping gear list
May 04, 9:32pm

Re: BSA & Philmont rules
A few weeks ago I had an email with Philmont staff about tarps .... which was lost to some aggressive archive clean out :-( What I was told was along the lines of * crews cook under tarps * b...

In Gear Lists » Philmont gear selection..
April 21, 1:55pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am