BPL Community Profile

John Donewar (Newton) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southeastern Louisiana
About Me Bitten by the hiking bug in 2008. The "infection" persists and I am not in search of cure. :-)
Reinfected by the MYOG bug in 2009 and I am still not in search of a cure. :-)
If I am not hiking I am reading about it or working on my gear.
Became a BPL Lifetime Member 5/1/11.
CityGretna
StateLouisiana
CountryU.S.A.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Donewar

Showing 1711 - 1720 of 1749 | Page: 1 ...156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175

Forum » Thread

Re: MYOG Pit Zips
Kathleen, Your Pit Zips are way COOL! :-) Warning! You, like me, appear to have been bitten by the MYOG Bug. Deet will not get rid of the MYOG bug. You now must resign yourself to the fact...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Pit Zips
January 17, 3:56pm

Re: My Pain and Punishment
Greg, I admire your discipline regarding your "pain and punishment". Two questions come to mind. With the activity level you describe are you retired or independently wealthy? :-...

In Philosophy & Technique » How and where do you train for the trail?
January 16, 6:49pm

How and where do you train for the trail?
I live in a suburbian setting. I use a combination of elliptical training and long walks with my loaded pack. Yes, I get many stares and comments during these walks. I've been told which...

In Philosophy & Technique » How and where do you train for the trail?
January 16, 12:21pm

Re: "Who is your daddy and what does he do?"
I also am my own daddy. Being and I/E (instrument / electrical) Technician on a 4 ten hour day schedule gives me at least a three day weekend every week. With four weeks paid vacation plus all ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Who is your daddy and what does he do?
January 15, 6:54pm

Re: "Your EARLIEST Digitized Backpacking Photo"
Warren, Check out the photo below. "Lazarus" and I had enough and bailed out at Allen Gap. First all water but Spring Mtn. Shelter had dried up and then we saw two of every kind of a...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Your EARLIEST Digitized Backpacking Photo
January 15, 6:30pm

Re: "Your EARLIEST Digitized Backpacking Photo"
This is my earliest digitized backpacking photo. I was introduced to hiking at 54 years of age in 2008. This is a shot of Max Patch just outside of Hot Springs, NC. This is a shot of the...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Your EARLIEST Digitized Backpacking Photo
January 15, 3:26pm

Re: "Mesh, sil-nylon or 4-way stretch for side pockets on backpack?"
Rusty, I used urethane coated nylon for the bottom pleated section of the pockets. Silnylon will work just fine. I was using what I had laying around for my pack project. A polyester shirt,...

In Make Your Own Gear » Mesh, sil-nylon or 4-way stretch for side pockets on backpack?
January 14, 9:12pm

4 Re:s :-) "silnylon reinforcement"
Roger, Lets add this up. 1) no moisture and no staining. 2) tent hung up to dry thoroughly. 3) gear stored dry. 4) reinforcement underneath. 5) silicone sealant "glued" and stitch...

In Make Your Own Gear » silnylon reinforcement
January 13, 8:12pm

Re: "Groupthink at camp MYOG.."
En, Bring on the pictures. Show us what you've got. Party On ! 2010 Newton

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Groupthink at camp MYOG..
January 13, 11:44am

Re: Re: "silnylon reinforcement"
David, http://www.tarptent.com/projects/tarpdesign.html#anchor492320 Above is the website where I found the text below by the eleventh "bullet". ...main roof seam. Scrap nylon ...

In Make Your Own Gear » silnylon reinforcement
January 13, 11:28am

All Reader Reviews by John Donewar

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Under Armour Men's UA Escape 7" Solid Shorts
Here are the particulars. Ultra-lightweight woven fabric. Mesh internal liner. 360° Reflectivity Hand pockets for your essentials. 7” inseam 2.2 oz. Polyester Men'...</td>          
           <td class=

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
September 29, 10:56am

Scope Outlast
This is a first for me as I have never posted a gear review before. The Scope Outlast Minibrush probably isn't really even considered as hiking gear. Scope Outlast Minibrush

In Backpacks - External Frame
August 13, 12:14pm