BPL Community Profile

Vick Hines (vickrhines) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Central Texas
About Me 2X AT thruhiker
Author of How to Make Your Own Lightweight Camping and Hiking Gear
Builder of solo canoes
Compulsive builder of yondering gear of all kinds.
CityAustin
StateTexas
CountryUnited States

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Vick Hines

Showing 171 - 180 of 1034 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...104

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: My first MYOG alcohol stove
Remember, there is help for you when you are ready. You will always be a stove junky and you will always be in recovery, but if you take it one day at a time, you can live a stove-free life.

In Make Your Own Gear » My first MYOG alcohol stove
October 18, 1:02pm

Re: Ultralight Assault and Robbery
Now we know what a spork is good for. Or maybe not. Didn't kill'm did it?

In Chaff » Ultralight Assault and Robbery
October 18, 12:17pm

Re: Who Sells Toggles ?
Terminology glitch: There are 2 different uses for the word 'toggle': 1. spring loaded cordlocks for adjusting the length of a cord; and 2. short, stiff rods with cord attached in the middl...

In Make Your Own Gear » Who Sells Toggles ?
October 09, 2:28pm

Re: Re: Justify Alcohol Stove Total Weight?
Brad, About wood stoves. Do yourself a favor and use the less-is-more approach. An efficient wood stove does not under any circumstance have to be complicated. A suitably sized can (coffee cans ...

In GEAR » Justify Alcohol Stove Total Weight?
October 09, 2:09pm

gram cracker/Esbit starter
I recently tried a butane lighter I picked up off a gimme card at a convenience store: a refillable blow-torch lighter that starts Esbit easily under the nastiest conditions - even restarting reuse...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » esbit stove
October 09, 1:51pm

Re: RE: Justify Alcohol Stove Total Weight
Pamela, Total stove weight and fuel choice is a matter of total system - including the length of the hike and duration, remoteness, the environment, etc. On AT thruhikes, I have always ended up u...

In GEAR » Justify Alcohol Stove Total Weight?
October 04, 6:27pm

Re: Trekking poles why ?
Occasionally, one long pole is handy for descents over high ledges and stream crossings. Trekking poles are not long enough for descents and often inadequate for stream crossing. As for helping th...

In GEAR » How to size trekking poles?
September 23, 11:26am

Re: Y'all are insanely creatve
ULers are opportunists like prisoners or hobos. And LNTers travel like fugitives on the run or a patrol on deep recon. Interesting images. And true. Maybe we should cross-fertilize with those oth...

In Multiple Use Gear » Y'all are insanely creatve
September 16, 8:24pm

Re: Wondering why you want these in carbon ?
Kevin, Thanks for putting CF stakes into perspective. I agree. I've found them inadequate except in a few ideal applications. Besides their frequent failure in compression, they abrade quickly...

In Make Your Own Gear » need help making cf tent stakes
September 16, 8:16pm

Re: Re: Shop towels
Ben, I agree. The towels are for drying, not cleaning. About half the time, I just air dry.

In GEAR » 4"x4" blue shop towel squares???
September 08, 11:53am

All Reader Reviews by Vick Hines

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Nike Free Trail 5.0
Summary: A light moccasin with a good sole and no heel counter. The shoe encourages full use of foot and ankle, improves balance and control, and strengthens the foot and ankle. The low profile sole r...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 12, 4:17pm

Golite Trail Fly and Tail Spike
Two pairs of Golite shoes self-destructed within 70 miles on the AT. The first pair (Trail Fly) failed after 66 miles. The fake ripstop fabric over the toe section cracked with repeated flexing (an...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 08, 8:16pm