Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Lyons (towaly) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Smoky Mtns.
About Me Likes the outdoors.
StateTN
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Lyons

Showing 171 - 180 of 299 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...30

Forum » Thread

re
I didn't hear about the Lawson pad until after I had just purchased the GG Thinlight 3/16" evazote pad. But I'll upgrade when I wear out this GG Thinlight. The 3/16" Thinlight is ...

In GEAR » Another attempt to standardize r-values of sleeping pads
September 12, 5:00pm

Knife
I'm also a "knife knut" and there are some excellent choices in light weight ranges for survival. Carry a Mora #2. 4 ounces, including the sheath. Everything bigger is overkill....

In GEAR » Is there any gear that your don't go light on?
September 12, 5:44am

Needs/wants
For me, minimizing the weight and bulk of what I NEED to carry, gives me more flexibility to bring what I WANT to carry.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How important is pack weight to your overall experience?
September 11, 7:24pm

Thanks
Thanks for expanding the data base and adding criteria. I am going to address the "problem child" for all these comparisons, which we all know is the Klymit pad. It defies comparison o...

In GEAR » Another attempt to standardize r-values of sleeping pads
September 11, 5:43pm

just another thing I noticed
Last night, I wore a women's shower cap on my bald head to help keep it warm, because the Montbell Thermal Sheet is not a hooded sleeping bag. It is one of those thin plastic types which "...

In GEAR » Temp rating test - Montbell UL SS Down Hugger Thermal Sheet 50F rating
September 11, 2:17pm

Yes.
It's quite common, particularly in cold weather sleeping situations. The "wicking" part is your baselayer long underwear. The "Vapor Barrier Layer" is usually a bag that...

In Make Your Own Gear » making a "vapor liner" to layer with a down bag/quilt in the winter -- will it work?
September 11, 2:05pm

Re: Re: Leash
Okay. Perhaps I'm over-sensitive about the issue, and if I spoke in error, I apologize. As an owner of Rottweilers for 20 years, I have seen this issue get blown into the public policy level...

In Philosophy & Technique » Is this just bad luck with aggressive dogs or is this normal?
September 11, 1:16pm

Re: Leash
And some dogs can be controlled by their owners, and the dogs ARE controlled by them. YOU, Mr Cameron Kennedy, make a lot of assumptions and passive-aggressive insinuations.

In Philosophy & Technique » Is this just bad luck with aggressive dogs or is this normal?
September 11, 8:35am

Re: Thanks
I have about the same torso length as you. I was amazed at how comfortable that Klymit pad was. On my back or both sides. For me to get up without aches and pains after a night on the ground is u...

In GEAR » Temp rating test - Montbell UL SS Down Hugger Thermal Sheet 50F rating
September 11, 7:31am

Temp rating test - Montbell UL SS Down Hugger Thermal Sheet 50F rating
After just having recieved my new SMD Gatewood Cape, and setting it up in the back field to seam seal it, I decided to use the opportunity to check out if my Montbell Thermal Sheet could suffice fo...

September 11, 6:13am

All Reader Reviews by Tom Lyons

Tom Lyons has posted no reviews.