Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 171 - 180 of 436 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...44

Forum » Thread

Water Treatment
Chris, There are a number of posts relating to water treatment. Some are advocating using household bleach (chlorine) in CONJUCTION with a filter like the Frontier Pro. Find posts by Benjamin Ta...

In Gear Lists » Backpacker Going Lightweight
May 07, 1:37pm

Water
I only see the 3 liter Platy. I am not a fan of having all of my water in one source. I like to take one or two 1 Liter Platys and always have a 1 liter bottle to drink out of. The one I have been ...

In Gear Lists » Backpacker Going Lightweight
May 07, 11:30am

JMT Water Filtration
We used Chlorine Dioxide tablets last year along with a Steripen Journey. The Journey is nice to use when you want to drink at the source. I wouldn't rely on it as the only source as it tended ...

In GEAR » JMT Water Filtration
May 05, 5:24pm

I've Done It
I took a group from Horseshoe Meadows to Whitney to Portal a few years ago. We planned for 4 days of food, sharing a canister between 2 people. We repackaged everything we could, and took calorie d...

In GEAR » ? Options: 1 bear can for 2 x 4 days
May 03, 6:42pm

2 Stoves
I've done a lot of hiking in groups, i.e. scouts. I think the best way to travel with a group that is not accustomed to lightweight is to just take 2 stoves, a 2 liter pot and 2 8 oz. canisters...

In GEAR » group backpacking gear
May 03, 6:32pm

Beautiful Video
I watched the video off and on all afternoon. It's quite beautiful. It was in the reverse of my trip last year (I recently posted my trip report sans photos and video). 7 days and taking all of...

In Post-Trip Reports » JOHN MUIR TRAIL VIDEO - 7 Day Trip
April 30, 7:11pm

Training
Alex, No matter what you do with the troop, you will need some sort of training. The minimum is Youth Protection. http://www.scouting.org/Training/YouthProtection.aspx A Scoutmaster should...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » C'mon now people!
April 27, 2:57pm

Opaque Container
I used a 1 liter soda bottle with a wide mouth. Not as wide as the Gatorade bottle but it worked fine. It doesn't stir that well but I just shook it a bit. Has anyone seen the suggestion, by...

In GEAR » Favorite CHEAP bottle for Steripen use
April 26, 6:03pm

12 Days Worth
Craig, I ran into the same problem while planning my JMT hike last summer. I needed to get my calorie to weight ratio up a bit higher. I was at about 110 cals. per oz. and that was way too low. ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Thoughts on long distance food
April 26, 4:17pm

Nido Calories
Thanks Tom. I have been using non-fat dry milk for a long time. I mix that with either dried granola or Carnation Instant Breakfast. Nido has a better calorie to weight ratio. I may try this on...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Where to buy powdered milk in bulk?
April 26, 3:55pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm