BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 171 - 180 of 419 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...42

Forum » Thread

JMT 2009 Thru Hike
I started this report about a month after I returned from my trip. It is now April, 2010 and decided I have to finally post it. Here it goes: JMT Thru hike August 2009 This trip was a long ti...

In Post-Trip Reports » JMT 2009 Thru Hike
April 21, 5:34pm

2010 John Muir Trail Gear List
Water treatment? How much food per day? Longest time between resupply? Weight of fuel? Weight of first aid? This is a good list.

In Gear Lists » 2010 John Muir Trail Gear List
April 19, 4:43pm

JMT Bear Canister for 2
We used Bearikade Weekenders last year. We each had our own. Naturally, the longest resupply stretch is from MTR to Portal if you do not go to Independence, etc. We could get 7 days of food in a...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » JMT resupply for 2
April 09, 2:44pm

JMT Favorites
Too many favorites. However, your pace will dictate where you plan to camp. We did a 14 day trip last summer. I picked up an itinerary that I found on the web and changed it a bit. There are also t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Favorite JMT spots
April 07, 1:19pm

Uh,
Lightweight, 12 oz. for top and bottom, as breathable as most things out there, all for about $19.00. Not bad! You need to be careful with them, they love to bust at the seam on the butt and th...

In GEAR » I don't understand DriDucks
April 07, 1:07pm

Large Groups and "Backup"
" I'll be with 10 other peeps so in the case of a total gear failure I will be able to borrow." I would only take the new stove you make. With 10 other people THEY can be your back...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Grand Canyon in two weeks - newbie backpacker
April 01, 2:57pm

Snakes on the Trail
A few years ago we were hiking in the Golden Trout Wilderness, California. We were with a group of scouts and were trying to complete 20 miles that day. We had to hike down to a lower elevation, li...

In Gear Lists » Zion National Park - Mid May
March 31, 10:41am

Neo Air, etc.
My brother took a brand new Neo Air on our JMT hike. It had a slow leak. Hard to find on the trail. Fortunately, we were in Tuolomne on our second day and he picked a Ridgerest CCF I think. He late...

In GEAR » Which Sleeping Pad for JMT
March 30, 9:46am

Inside For Me
I use a basic Equinox Superlight Bivy. I put my TorsoLite pad inside. I also added a few spots of silicone on the bottom of my pad so it would not slip around. I find that if I use the pad on the o...

In GEAR » Sleeping pad on inside or outside of bivy?
March 24, 1:01pm

Dri Ducks Sizing
Christian, Make sure you look the Dri Ducks sizing chart over. They run extremely large. I use a medium and am 5'9" and 200 lbs! I don't wear a medium in ANYTHING. I would also ...

In Gear Lists » need help chosing between 2 rain gear systems
March 15, 2:55pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm