BPL Community Profile

Piper S. (sbhikes) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
About Me I hiked 3000 miles of the PCT over 2008 and 2009, about half the trail each time. I now hike in the backcountry of Santa Barbara and Ventura counties. I'm a Trail Ambassador for Gossamer Gear.
CitySanta Barbara
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://santabarbarahikes.com
My PDF Gear ListPiper's Gear

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Piper S.

Showing 171 - 180 of 1307 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...131

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Yogurt or buttermilk
No, let's go Chargers!

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Yogurt or buttermilk
August 04, 4:38pm

Yogurt or buttermilk
A friend of mine started doing this on the CDT and I have tried it at home and plan to do this on an upcoming trip to Glacier. I'm amazed at how good it works. You can make yogurt or buttermilk...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Yogurt or buttermilk
August 04, 11:09am

Re: Re: Weight training
Yeah, there's a huge myth out there that strength training is the same thing as bodybuilding. It is not. A lot of cyclists and runners have the same myth. Causes people to put in "junk mil...

In Philosophy & Technique » Strength training to lighten the load
February 26, 7:50am

Re: Re: Re: Strength training to lighten the load
I'm sort of doing Rippetoe's stuff. I couldn't figure out how to do power cleans. I try to follow the form and the basic program. I got overtrained pretty badly on a 3x a week program s...

February 25, 7:58pm

Re: Re: Strength training to lighten the load
I have yet to squat my bodyweight, but I'm deadlifting more than my bodyweight and about half my bodyweight for bench press. No need wait for improvements only after you can squat some ungodly ...

February 25, 7:50pm

Re: curries and attracting bears?
Try the Opsacks. They really hold in the smell. I put a bunch of curry paste packets in there to keep the curry from stinking up the rest of my food and once inside, I couldn't smell them at all.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » curries and attracting bears?
February 23, 7:38pm

Re: Re: Strength training to lighten the load
Oh, you knew that was me? Yeah, Rip is crazy old-school. I like guys like that, actually. Squats, deadlifts and overhead press ARE core strength. And I try to do sprints once a week or so.

February 23, 6:59pm

Strength training to lighten the load
Recently I started strength training. I do barbell squats, deadlifts, bench press and overhead press. The object is to get stronger, not body building. I do low reps and strive to always add more w...

February 23, 6:23pm

Re: Women and men on the trail
Ha ha Paul, M should wear a skirt next time she hikes. The looks on men's faces being passed by a lady in a skirt is pretty priceless. Recently I was informed that years ago I was going to g...

In Philosophy & Technique » Women and men on the trail
February 23, 5:59pm

Re: Re: Thru weight plateau.
Regarding the "easy keeper" and the thru-hiker walk/efficiency gains...So true! You won't waste away to nothingness on a long distance hike. You first will lose all that excess wei...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Daily calorie requirements for long term thru hikes?
January 15, 4:26pm

All Reader Reviews by Piper S.

Piper S. has posted no reviews.