BPL Community Profile

Piper S. (sbhikes) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
About Me I hiked 3000 miles of the PCT over 2008 and 2009, about half the trail each time. I now hike in the backcountry of Santa Barbara and Ventura counties. I'm a Trail Ambassador for Gossamer Gear.
CitySanta Barbara
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://santabarbarahikes.com
My PDF Gear ListPiper's Gear

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Piper S.

Showing 171 - 180 of 1296 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...130

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: London
This thread is a gem. Have you heard of Mark Boyle? He's an Englishman. http://www.justfortheloveofit.org http://www.moneylessmanifesto.org/about-the-author Trouble with Santa Barbara are ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Living outdoors full-time in urban areas
January 11, 4:57pm

Re: Daily calorie requirements for long term thru hikes?
On a truly long distance hike it takes a few weeks before the reality hits you. Then the hunger hits you hard. You basically can follow your hunger. You do not need to micro-manage your calories. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Daily calorie requirements for long term thru hikes?
January 11, 4:23pm

Re: Re: Pemmican??
Over Thanksgiving weekend I brought home dehydrated vegetables and pemmican. I made two kinds of pemmican. One was the normal kind with beef and tallow. I melted that into my vegetables for a very ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Pemmican added to ????
December 04, 6:39pm

Re: Would You Do It for a Living?
I would not do it for a living. I will talk about it for a pot luck dinner, though. When I was long distance hiking I felt I was paid in wildflowers. I've earned more wildflowers than Oprah...

In Philosophy & Technique » Would You Do It for a Living?
December 04, 1:43pm

Re: Re: Long hike recovery time
I think you recover mentally much faster if you have something to go back home to. So having a job waiting for you will be mentally easier to deal with. I didn't have anything to go back to ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Long hike recovery time
December 04, 1:37pm

Re: Re: All-In-One Kit
I bought a shorter spoon so it fits in my pot. I keep a knife, chapstick and hand sanitizer in my pocket. Everything else goes in a tiny little mesh bag.

In Philosophy & Technique » All-In-One Kit
December 04, 1:32pm

Re: Learnt an very important Lesson on Hydration and Salts
If the other hikers were just hiking maybe they had no idea you were suffering. You have to say something. It's not being a wimp to say, "Hey, I need to stop and take off a layer." It...

In Philosophy & Technique » Learnt an very important Lesson on Hydration and Salts
December 04, 1:29pm

Re: Where do you compromise?
There's lots of lighter gear available now but rather than buy it I compromise and just keep using the stuff I have. Things I won't compromise on include: - protection from bugs while I ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Where do you compromise?
December 04, 1:19pm

Re: Anyone Practice Trail Communism?
I have offered to carry some weight for my boyfriend. But his pride keeps him from accepting the offer. We try to practice "communism" when it comes to the tent, each carrying equal halve...

In Philosophy & Technique » Anyone Practice Trail Communism?
August 30, 2:33pm

Re: Near death experiences (or close calls) on the trail?
"Have any of you had any near death experiences or close calls while on the trail?" Not really. I got pretty cold last March on a trip in the Los Padres. I was shivering and wet and...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Near death experiences (or close calls) on the trail?
August 30, 2:11pm

All Reader Reviews by Piper S.

Piper S. has posted no reviews.