BPL Community Profile

Ross Bleakney (rossbleakney) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Cascades
About Me Ross Bleakney has not added a biography yet.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ross Bleakney

Showing 171 - 180 of 959 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...96

Forum » Thread

Re: State of the market
I think constructive criticism about this article belongs on this thread. Criticism of BPL in general belongs somewhere else. Use this article as an example, if you want, but saying you think BPL h...

In Editor's Roundtable » Solo-Plus Tent State of the Market Report
September 20, 9:32am

Re: SOTMR
>>> "...everyone is wondering why some tents (Refuge X, for example) weren't included." >>> Perhaps because it was discontinued years ago? I think you meant Skysc...

September 19, 7:45pm

Re: Solo-Plus Tent State of the Market Report
Reviews are hard. I can understand the problems with it. By the time you manage to compare all of the tents, the market has changed. I get that. So, don't focus on the reviews. To me, a &qu...

September 19, 3:49pm

Re: Re: Another attempt to standardize r-values of sleeping pads
Great stuff. One of the tricky things in all of this is how to measure R-values. Generally speaking, my guess is that they are measured by how much heat is lost to the ground (that is how the BPL t...

In GEAR » Another attempt to standardize r-values of sleeping pads
September 15, 9:46pm

Re: Sawyer Squeeze Filter Tips
Hey Jay: What bag is that (above)? I did the same thing years ago with a platypus (and different inline filter) and the bladder was fine. I assume that I can do that with most bladders, but it woul...

In GEAR » Sawyer Squeeze Filter Tips
September 15, 7:23pm

Re: Re: no one size fits all answer: Freestanding tents
Yes, there are trade-offs. Typically, a free standing tents is staked down. Rocky surfaces have, well, rocks to use as anchors. The difference is that if one or even several stakes come loose while...

In GEAR » Free-standing vs. Non-Free-standing Tents (both opinions wanted)
September 05, 9:46am

Re: reflective
Even if the reflective layer helps a lot, I'm not sure what difference it makes where it is. Either it is warming the sleeping bag or the foam pad. Generally speaking, it doesn't matter whe...

In GEAR » CCF Pad and Neoair
September 01, 8:24am

Re: Re: CCF Pad and Neoair
I don't think the reflective coating makes any difference. Basically, as the other comments mention, put the foam underneath to protect the pad or put it on top for maximum warmth. Inch for inc...

In GEAR » CCF Pad and Neoair
August 31, 11:33pm

Re: What's the purpose of camp shoes?
Jake had the answer. It is a luxury, like a lot of the things people often carry (camera, inflatable sleeping pad, etc.). I use Sprint Aquatics Slippers, which weigh an ounce a piece. I also us...

In GEAR » What's the purpose of camp shoes?
August 31, 9:08am

Re: 2P UL Shelters - Write for yourself
I agree with Ron. I really like that first article because you manage to keep the list short. You are not publishing a magazine. You can't write about every shelter out there and do an in depth...

In GEAR » 2-Person Shelters TSW - Looking for feedback for my next in-depth article!
August 30, 6:19pm

All Reader Reviews by Ross Bleakney

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear
Another GG review, another five out of five. This time, I broke a pole section (the lower part, or tip). It was my fault (I stepped on it) and not the fault of the pole. A call to customer support (I&...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
August 25, 12:11pm

Ultrapod Mini
I am very happy with my Ultrapod Mini. It does what is supposed to do very well. You often have to be resourceful with it; but with a little imagination, you can take great pictures. For example, if y...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 04, 7:38pm

Pentax Optio WP
I very much like my Optio WPi (6 mp). I have found the waterproof feature to be of much greater value than I originally expected. For winter pictures, it is really handy to set up a picture and not wo...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 04, 7:13pm

Eureka Zues II Exo
I bought this tent a few years ago, before I knew about tarp tents. I have been happy with it, but it is a little smaller and heavier than a tarp tent. As a free standing tent, it is more round, which...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
August 14, 3:13pm