BPL Community Profile

Richard Gless (rgless) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me Richard Gless has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Gless

Showing 171 - 180 of 324 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...33

Forum » Thread

a great way to save a pound!
This is a pretty radical idea. There's probable at least a Nobel prize in physics in it if someone can come up with a way to do it (and it doesn't have severe biological consequences!)

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » a great way to save a pound!
July 09, 10:27pm

Labeling mini dropper bottles
I've tried labeling mini dropper bottles with a sharpie and covering it with scotch tape. It doesn't take much leakage of DEET or sunscreen to soften the tape and make the label ink run an...

In GEAR » Labeling mini dropper bottles
July 09, 5:56pm

Pepsi Wide Mouth Bottles - Gone
In California most supermarkets and convenience stores have 1 L Dr Pepper bottles with a wide mouth. They weigh about 1.5 oz, but they last a long time. I haven't seen the lighter aquafina bot...

In GEAR » Pepsi Wide Mouth Bottles - Gone?
July 08, 10:39pm

Absolute Lightest 1L Water Bottle
I use a 1L Dr. Pepper wide mouth. It comes in at 1.5 oz. I always wonder how durable the lighter aqua fina bottles are.

In GEAR » Absolute Lightest 1L Water Bottle
June 23, 4:45pm

Cheese mix
Bob, I've taken grated parmesan in a ziplock bag to add to my Mtn Hse Spaghetti many times. No problems for up to two weeks. Once I didn't unpack it on coming home and three months lat...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Cheese mix
June 10, 12:55pm

gear list, JMT, solo, July
Take a sun hat and at least some sunscreen. The high altitude sun will fry you. A hanky you can wash out is a good idea. Have a good trip!

In Gear Lists » gear list, JMT, solo, July
June 09, 4:15pm

MLD 850ML + Caldera Cone (esbit)
I have one and use it with a gramcracker esbit stove. I think it works quite well. I didn't take the handles off the pot, but I do use a bandana as a pot holder to pick up the pot by the hand...

In GEAR » MLD 850ML + Caldera Cone (esbit)
June 08, 3:54pm

Contrail for Sale - No takers
Don't give up so fast. Give it a couple days and consider a lower price if you don't get any takers. It's not the newest, cool tent, but it is an excellent piece of gear. Someone out...

In Gear Swap » Contrail for Sale
May 20, 11:02pm

NeoAir - doubler and coverer
George, I like your idea of using a bag to hold both mattresses together. It should help protect the mattresses from punctures. I saw a post about "coupling" two NeoAirs togther on B...

In GEAR » NeoAir - doubler and coverer
May 17, 10:47pm

Your EARLIEST Digitized Backpacking Photo
Starting the John Muir Trial in 1970. I'm the guy in the middle. My partners had all the muscles. The guy on the left was a linebacker at UC until he blew out a knee. The guy on the right wa...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Your EARLIEST Digitized Backpacking Photo
May 11, 10:59pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Gless

Showing 1 - 10 of 14 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

ZPacks Hexamid solo tarp and HexaNet
Seeing the stars at night is one of my favorite parts of backpacking so I wanted a two wall tent, bug net inner and rain fly outer. My first solo UL tent attempt was a Eureka Solitaire ā€“ too hard...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
March 17, 11:37pm

ZPacks Hexamid Solo Tarp and HexaNet
Seeing the stars at night is one of my favorite parts of backpacking so I wanted a two wall tent, bug net inner and rain fly outer. My first solo UL tent attempt was a Eureka Solitaire ā€“ too hard...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
March 17, 11:22pm

Snow Peak LiteMax
Snow Peak LiteMax Stove I bought a Snow Peak LiteMax this spring (2009) to replace my MSR Pocket Rocket and have been really happy with it, having used it for about 20 days now. Pros: 1. W...

In Stoves - Canister
December 06, 11:20pm

Black Diamond Orbit
I saw this advertised in Backpacker Magazine (yes, I still subscribe. Every once in a while I find something useful), and thought Iā€™d check it out. I picked it up at REI since I was going on a hike ...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
May 08, 12:03am

Therm-a-Rest Neoair
I recently bought size small ThermaRest NeoAir Pads for both my wife and I. We were particularly interested in reducing pack weight while retaining or improving comfort. My wife went from a ThermaRe...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
May 01, 9:55pm

Merrell Chameleon Wrap GoreTex XCR
About twelve years ago as part of my journey to lighten my backpacking load I went from my second pair of Galibier Mountaineering boots (really heavy) to a pair of relatively lightweight Merrell leath...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
June 24, 10:03pm

Backpacking Light Ti Esbit stove
I've used my BPL Esbit stove for 2-3 day solo trips for two years now. I think its a great compromise of lightweight and efficiency. You do have to recognize the stove's limitations and use ...

In Stoves - Other
February 20, 11:34pm

Jack's R Better Mt. Rogers Quilt
I purchased the Jack's R Better Mt. Rogers Quilt in large part based on the review by Shane above. I'd been looking at the possibility of using a quilt to cut weight for some time, and when J...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
July 17, 12:37am

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
It's interesting how some products work for some people and not for others. I've tried the TorsoLite and the POE UberLite. They are just too short for me (I'm 5' 11"). On duff ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 01, 8:55pm

Zpacks Z1
I have to agree with all of Jonathan's comments. I bought this pack after seeing it mentioned on BPL and checking it out on the web. It only took about a week to arrive after I ordered it. ...

In Backpacks - Frameless
February 23, 10:26pm