Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 171 - 180 of 8757 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...876

Forum » Thread

Re: Scale
just because a scale was "designed" to weigh drugs or gold doesn't mean it can't be used to weigh backpacking gear maybe you don't want to buy it from a drug store, or a go...

In GEAR » Scales for weighing gear
April 11, 2:41pm

Re: Re: bar tack vs looser zigzag
thanks Ken, I remember that "Bar tack stitches tended to cut and tear the fabric, causing fabric failure." That's what I thought, but my quick and dirty test was sort of inconsi...

In Make Your Own Gear » bar tack vs looser zigzag
April 11, 1:44pm

Re: marijuana
ha! or scales for weighing gold have to be accurate

In GEAR » Scales for weighing gear
April 11, 1:36pm

bar tack vs looser zigzag
I asked about this, David said I should test it,... me and my big mouth... Silnylon, hem it (fold 1/4 inch twice and 1 row of stitches), 1/2 inch grosgrain, on one side do a zigzag with 1 mm sti...

In Make Your Own Gear » bar tack vs looser zigzag
April 11, 10:37am

Re: Lacquer Thinner
Remember that urethane sealer will stick to itself even after drying a few days. And doesn't release from itself. It'll pull off one side of the fabric and make a huge mess. Rub some p...

In Make Your Own Gear » Seam seal mix
April 11, 8:11am

Re: What a Turnaround, If True...
One problem is that even if we behave, things can still go to hell, then the crazies will say "see... need to use military"

In Chaff » What a Turnaround, If True...
April 10, 10:32pm

Re: Re: re: Open-Ended Solo Trip in Washington State
I thought north Washington had normal snowfall. So Sahale Arm would have a lot of snow, probably not worth screwing with. I usually go up in the mountains early, and then the snow is constraining...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Open-Ended Solo Trip in Washington State
April 10, 4:31pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: new deadly disease threatens to end backpacking as we knew it
stay on west side of Rockies : )

In Chaff » new deadly disease threatens to end backpacking as we knew it
April 10, 4:18pm

Re: Re: Re: Cats rule
that is very nice offer Kat what camera do you consider best now? one problem I have is I don't live near wilderness. I could set it up in my back yard and catch the neighbors' cats?...

In Chaff » Is the cat going up or down the stairs ?
April 10, 4:17pm

Re: Cats rule
I was out for a couple days. Snowed at night. Next day there were deer prints, then Mountain Lion prints, then Coyote prints. I picked up big stick as I walked along. Never saw a live animal....

In Chaff » Is the cat going up or down the stairs ?
April 10, 1:12pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.