BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 171 - 180 of 7043 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...705

Forum » Thread

Re: Not donating
"Is throwing out junk mail that big of a deal?" If I donate to some organization, and they send me a lot of junk mail forever after, it seems like the costs of the junk mail exceeded m...

In Philosophy & Technique » Giving back
June 23, 12:46pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: USGS map errors
Garmin doesn't have good customer service Back cover of 60CSx broke. Bit of plastic broke off. I claim the design is defective - flimsy bit of plastic. They said they'de sell me a n...

In GEAR » GPS help
June 23, 10:56am

Re: Re: Re: New Thermarest Evolite - any details known?
A problem with prolite is it delaminates - where the outer fabric is glued to the foam From that picture, it looks like the fabric to foam connection is wider - maybe it delaminates less?

In GEAR » New Thermarest Evolite - any details known?
June 23, 9:45am

Re: Re: Re: Lies, damn lies, and statistics
I didn't mean to be critical of you or anyone carrying bear spray. Doesn't weigh that much. Yeah, could make a bear fearful which could save it. Maybe when wolf numbers recover, they s...

In Chaff » Bear Encounter
June 23, 9:13am

Re: eVent
weird colors, 4 ounces/yd2

In Make Your Own Gear » silnylon, cuben, or eVent for mountaineering shell project
June 23, 8:31am

Re: Lies, damn lies, and statistics
Interesting lists Three Cougar attacks in 2000s (none in 2010s): - Mountain biker in Southern California (Kat got a picture of it ? : ) - Someone outside their house in New Mexico - Someone s...

June 23, 8:28am

Re: Re: Bear Encounter
same here - in Oregon and Washington bears run away when they see a human. I haven't experienced any park bears. That sounds logical about hunting causing this behavior. Maybe a reason to ...

June 22, 10:47pm

Re: Re: USGS map errors
it is what it is USGS did the best they could a long time ago Garmin and others have transcribed what was available. They didn't have a better source of data. gpsfiledepot and switchb...

In GEAR » GPS help
June 22, 10:15pm

Re: Re: best way to repair netting
stitching may put unequal strain on netting if you can get glue to stick, that should make uniform stress all the way around. Any raw edges would be prevented from unraveling. glue might loo...

In Make Your Own Gear » best way to repair netting
June 22, 9:14pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Washington State - Enchantments from Snow Creek Trail
The last switchback before you get to enchantments, there's a stream which is the outflow of the lake. The "trail" goes along that stream.

In Post-Trip Reports » Washington State - Enchantments from Snow Creek Trail
June 22, 8:06pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.